Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2014, 07:31 PM

542 posts, read 1,499,252 times

Advertisements

Like I said before, VA is more like one state depending on what region of VA you're in. But as a whole, I don't think VA is more like one than the other, but a good mix of both considering that all three states have many past and present ties and similarities, plus they don't seem to be drastically different from one another. I think the best representation of all three states would be cousin states -- they have their differences, enough to feel a little different yet feel familiar at the same time because they're close (literally and figuratively) and descend from the same family tree and have similar upbringings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2014, 08:34 PM

22 posts, read 20,295 times
Most of virginia is very southern

Old 02-07-2014, 07:20 AM

32,101 posts, read 34,720,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
Yeah, and how much time have you really spent in these places (other than the Obama campaign, which I would consider truly limiting)?
Actually, it wasn't limiting at all. My 24-hour a day job was dealing with people. It's not like I was there to eat at chic restaurants and go to clubs, which is what most young people are doing when visiting major metros. The job was to get voters, which required us to go to thousands of houses, which is something a lot of locals don't even do.

Quote:
What neighborhoods are you familiar with? Funny that there's never any subject matter to you. I'm not buying that you have any appreciable experience with these places, and it's shown on a number of occasions.
I never professed to be an expert on Richmond. In the Richmond vs. Baltimore thread, you made the following response to JoeTarheel.

Quote:
I'm not saying I disagree with your logic (fully at least), but just like the other poster who was trying to make this point, I have yet to receive an explanation as to Richmond's modern-day southern characteristics and where they exist in the city.
Then I provided those modern-day characteristics. For whatever reason, those weren't satisfactory to you. If you want more in-depth analysis of Richmond's modern-day southern character, then why don't you simply ask people in the Richmond forum?

Old 02-08-2014, 09:29 AM

33 posts, read 36,665 times
Richmond is just as southern as Baton Rogue, Louisiana.

Old 02-08-2014, 02:09 PM

214 posts, read 427,585 times
Maryland, Virginia, and North Carolina are all similar. All share slave history, tobacco history, Jim Crow, ACC, are college sport rivals, huge on college basketball, Redskin fans, residents travel and visit throughout the each states, large African-American populations, are southern states, etc.

Old 02-08-2014, 02:33 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,036,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC Bound 1990 View Post

Old 02-09-2014, 05:32 AM

33 posts, read 36,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitek View Post
Maryland, Virginia, and North Carolina are all similar. All share slave history, tobacco history, Jim Crow, ACC, are college sport rivals, huge on college basketball, Redskin fans, residents travel and visit throughout the each states, large African-American populations, are southern states, etc.
Differences.

1. Both VA and NC were confederate, MD wasn't.
2. MD borders PA so it has more northern influence.
3. Baltimore crushes any city VA and NC have to offer.
4. Every single person in NC and most of VA are country, MD its about 50/50.
5. You can get to NYC faster from MD

Besides northern state had slaves too you know.
I'm from DC and have only been to NC once in my life. I travel to NYC and Philly on a regular though!

Old 02-09-2014, 06:28 AM

867 posts, read 1,397,999 times
Quote:
If that's the case then DC is just as southern as Southside Chicago...country ninjas surrounded by concrete.

Old 02-09-2014, 06:29 AM

867 posts, read 1,397,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitek View Post
....hmm theres more...

Old 02-09-2014, 09:27 AM

6,610 posts, read 9,036,099 times
Quote:
Differences.

1. Both VA and NC were confederate, MD wasn't.
2. MD borders PA so it has more northern influence.
3. Baltimore crushes any city VA and NC have to offer.
4. Every single person in NC and most of VA are country, MD its about 50/50.
5. You can get to NYC faster from MD

Besides northern state had slaves too you know.
I'm from DC and have only been to NC once in my life. I travel to NYC and Philly on a regular though!
Baltimore crushes them how? With its off-the-charts crime?

Calling everyone in NC "country" really lowers your credibility. Way to go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.