U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What college that has accepted me is in the nicest city? Post a Poll
KU 3 13.64%
IU Bloomington 8 36.36%
Marquette 11 50.00%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2013, 01:15 PM

4 posts, read 4,620 times

Advertisements

I have offers from schools in:

Bloomington, IN
Lawrence, KS
Milwaukee, WI

Which city is the nicest? All schools are similar academically, but I have only visited Lawrence, so need to know what city is better for:

Walkability
Public transport
Close to another major city
Reasonable cost of living
Snow at Christmas
Traditional college experience
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2013, 01:22 PM

56,737 posts, read 81,038,544 times
All of them, but Milwaukee's proximity to Chicago may take the cake. With that said, the other 2 are college towns and may give you more of a traditional college experience.

Old 12-15-2013, 01:28 PM

1,775 posts, read 2,516,474 times
In general, Bloomington, Indiana is the prettiest. But Milwaukee, by far, has the most to do.

Walkability - Bloomington
Public transport - Milwaukee
Close to another major city - Lawrence (Only 37 miles to Kansas City)
Reasonable cost of living - Bloomington is slightly better than Lawrence. Milwaukee is a distant third.
Snow at Christmas - Milwaukee
Traditional college experience - That's something only you can answer. Everyone wants and needs something different in college.

Overall, I'd go Milwaukee!

Old 12-15-2013, 01:37 PM

The only thing I am worried about is crime in Milwaukee.

I like the proximity to Chicago a city I love, it's also where my cousins live, but I am worried Marquette won't be a traditional college experience. However, Chicago's closeness "takes the cake"

To help me further.

A bit about me personally:
I am not a big party animal. I prefer pubs/bars over nightclubs.
I hate the idea of Greek life, so a school that doesn't have a predominant Greek scene is a plus.
I am going to be a history major.
I can't drive.
Rail/bus links to other big cities would be good.

If that helps narrow down the list...

Old 12-15-2013, 01:48 PM

Also, I am quite quiet and introverted.

Old 12-15-2013, 02:26 PM

1,775 posts, read 2,516,474 times
How exactly do you define, "traditional college experience?" Marquette has dorms, mediocre cafeteria food, final exams, sports culture, drunk underage students vomiting on the sidewalk on Saturday nights, bisexuals, anti-everything protesters, and frisbee tournaments. Unless cow-tipping is on your list of a traditional college experience, you'll be fine in Milwaukee.

Crime happens everywhere. Milwaukee is extremely segregated (the most in the country), so it's easy to avoid bad areas. But just remember as long as you walk with confidence, never look lost or drunk in public, avoid texting and walking at the same time, and leave your headphones at home, nobody will mess with you.

Another advantage about Milwaukee, is that you'll have more internship opportunities, which are worth more then gold when it come time to look for a job after graduation.

Marquette also has a higher commitment to social justice than the other two, which are state schools. If doing things like service learning and volunteering in the community are part of the "traditional college experience," Marquette will be better. If doing this would make you uncomfortable, I'd suggest going elsewhere.

Even though Milwaukee is 95 miles from Chicago, Lawrence is just over 30 away from Kansas City, while Bloomington is as short dive away from Indianapolis, Louisville, and Cincinnati.

Also, I thought colleges didn't mail out acceptance letters until late March or early April. How were to able to find out this early?

Old 12-15-2013, 02:40 PM

I am hoping to have offers*. I just (hope) I will be in this position come March/April time... so researching now would be beneficial

Old 12-15-2013, 04:35 PM

6,886 posts, read 6,207,396 times
If you want to have a "college town" experience I think Lawrence and Bloomington are about as good as it gets. Milwaukee would be different in that you are going to a Jesuit college in a large metro. However, as far as going to a small Jesuit college in a large metro, Marquette is probably at the top of the list.

One thing about it though, at any of these schools you better love basketball.!!!!!

Old 12-15-2013, 04:49 PM

1,613 posts, read 1,941,187 times
I would say Bloomington or Lawrence. These are classic college towns.

Milwaukee is definitely not a college town.

Old 12-15-2013, 11:17 PM

42,663 posts, read 74,325,418 times
Definitely Lawrence, Kansas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.