Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Why do people stay in cold US Climates?
My job is here 85 25.30%
MY family is here 97 28.87%
I like the 4 distinct seasons 183 54.46%
I don't like the politics in the South 91 27.08%
I don't have money to move 30 8.93%
I do plan to move but can't right now 48 14.29%
other 46 13.69%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 336. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2013, 11:39 PM

993 posts, read 1,766,368 times

Advertisements

Why do I stay in the cold?

1. I take the two extra minutes and dress appropriately for the weather.
2. I don't let the weather dictate my life. There is plenty to do here in winter.
3. I grew a pair and realized that it isn't that bad; in fact, I enjoy it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2013, 11:59 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,593,643 times
Why do I stay in a (relatively) cold climate? Because I absolutely DESPISE hot weather, most likely. You can wear layers in the cold and stay warm. When it's 100+ degrees there are laws in all 50 states (except maybe the city of San Francisco?) that prevent you from walking down the street naked.

Besides, fall colors and winter snow are gorgeous (when you're not shoveling it. Invest in a snow-blower). Your average American in skimpy, anatomy-revealing summer attire? Not so much.

Old 12-23-2013, 12:10 AM

1,359 posts, read 2,479,592 times
I love the people in my cold weather town (Seattle)! I've been many places, but home is here in the Northwest. The people really make this place home for me.

Old 12-23-2013, 10:22 AM

651 posts, read 862,347 times
I left the really cold state of MN because of weather and taxes. My parents still live in MN but are ready to move because of the 600-700 a month they pay in only property taxes.

My wife wants to move back to MN because her family is there. I hate the weather in the winter for MN and HATE the MN politics and taxes.

Old 12-23-2013, 11:32 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,181,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
Cause I want to?? I don't really know what this post has to do with the temperature. Honestly I always laugh at my friends in Florida who always bombard everyone with "florida in january!" but then from June through September they're curiously..... silent....although none of our midwest friends are beating this dead horse every day for weeks on end that its miserable in Florida and nice elsewhere. I feel like people in warmer climates/the south tend to play up the weather way more than people in the north tend to care about it. It's warmer down south....it's warmer in winter. That's great, I'm happy about it......but that hardly means anyone up north is losing out on living or dwelling. I'm just as busy in winter as I am in summer, I love snow, I don't mind cold weather. You change what you wear, but you don't stop living. I love the change of seasons, I LOVE snow, I'm not a huge fan of being freezing cold - but that's just a fraction of your year, even in Chicago. Just cause it's December, January and February doesn't mean it's meaninglyfully COLD out the entire time.
So true, right on! You almost never see these surveys during summertime, but during winter they return with a vengence! It's like people need a justification for why they live where they do. It screams insecurity to me, personally, but maybe I'm looking at it all wrong. Maybe those in warmer climates are sincerely worried about their colder bretheren up North and are looking out for our best interests?

Old 12-23-2013, 11:34 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,181,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by icicles View Post
I left the really cold state of MN because of weather and taxes. My parents still live in MN but are ready to move because of the 600-700 a month they pay in only property taxes.

My wife wants to move back to MN because her family is there. I hate the weather in the winter for MN and HATE the MN politics and taxes.
You're answering a question nobody asked. The OP's question was "why do you stay", not "why did you leave" or "trash your former Northern locale".

Old 12-23-2013, 01:36 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,458,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amaiunmei View Post
I love the people in my cold weather town (Seattle)! I've been many places, but home is here in the Northwest. The people really make this place home for me.
I wouldn't even call Seattle Cold Weather. I think they were mainly referring to Northeast and Midwest. Seattle is pretty temperate and gets less snow annually then many places in the south...

Old 12-23-2013, 02:01 PM

2,330 posts, read 3,807,887 times
For many people weather is not the determining factor in where they live. I live where I do because of the culture. I think much of the north (New England, the upper Midwest and the PNW) has a more communitarian view of the relationship between the society, the state and the individual. This builds communities with stronger social capital and institutions.

Last edited by Drewcifer; 12-23-2013 at 02:21 PM..

Old 12-23-2013, 02:02 PM

1,636 posts, read 2,140,985 times
I grew up partially in Southern California and in Michigan. I can say that my life experiences would be so much less interesting had I not experienced the winters here in Michigan. I grew up sledding, skating, building a snow man, having snow ball fights, shoveling the driveway and sidewalk, wearing a snow jacket, pushing a car stuck in snow, making my car go in donuts, watching the news at night hoping for school cancellation, playing hockey, ice fishing, and the list goes on and on and on. I am so grateful that I grew up with 4 distinct seasons, otherwise, my life's experiences would be so much less interesting. I can't imagine not having these experiences. Now with winters, I will say that they last maybe a month or a month and half longer than ideal. But am I going to move to avoid 12 weeks of cold weather? And when the summer comes, and I visit all the coastal towns, beaches, and sand dunes of Michigan, and the 4 months of winter cold were worth it.

Old 12-23-2013, 03:52 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,593,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevanXL View Post
I wouldn't even call Seattle Cold Weather. I think they were mainly referring to Northeast and Midwest. Seattle is pretty temperate and gets less snow annually then many places in the south...
Seattle is in a pretty unique climate zone. We get milder temps in both Winter and Summer than anywhere else at our latitude in the U.S. There's even a pretty big difference in the extremes between here and Spokane, on the other side of the state, where they get heavy snow in winter and regularly hit triple-digits in summer.

I definitely wouldn't call Seattle a "cold-winter" city, the way cities like Minneapolis, Chicago, Detroit, or even Boston and NYC are.

It does get pretty consistently cold for long periods of time here, but it's usually a wet, misty cold that stays just above freezing. Definitely not the bitter, sub-zero temps that are common throughout the upper Midwest in winter. It snows here occasionally, but it's rare. However, you will need to wear warm clothes for many months here. It's NOTHING like winters in the South, where winter weather can bounce schizophrenically from 75 degrees to snow, then back to 75 degrees in a matter of a week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.