U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-22-2013, 07:21 AM
 
21 posts, read 15,290 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

I am studying BA (Hons) History at a university in the United Kingdom. Before Christmas I managed to successfully transfer from the 3-year programme to the 4-year programme, enabling me to complete an international exchange in the United States/Canada for my third year. It's a fantastic opportunity and I have begun to research destinations for my international exchange. I am not interested in going to Canada, so I would like to go to the US. I can choose from the following institutions in the US:

University of Alaska, Anchorage
University of Arizona
Binghamton University - State University of New York
University of California
University of Colorado, Boulder
Florida International University
Framingham State University
George Mason University
Georgetown University
Goucher College
University of Hawai'i
Hobart and William Smith Colleges
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
University of Kansas
Louisiana State University
University of Maine
University of Massachusetts
Middlebury College
University of Minnesota
University of Mississippi
University of Missouri, Columbia
University of Missouri, St Louis
University of New Mexico
University of North Carolina
University of Notre Dame
Occidental College
University of Oklahoma
University of Oregon
State University of New York: Plattsburgh
University of Redlands
Reed College
University of Rhode Island
University of Richmond
Roanoke College
Rutgers - the State University of New Jersey
San Francisco State University
Stetson University
St Olaf College
Temple University
Tulane University
University of Utah
Westminster College

I am a History student, so I would like to go to a state that has an interesting history. I am interested in the following historical topics (in order of interest):
- Frontier
- Civil War
- Revolutionary War
- Civil Rights
- Cold War

Now, I have a budget. I cannot afford to study at an institution that costs over $15k. (Please note: As an international student I pay for everything apart from tuition.) I know for a fact that: Kansas, Mississippi, Missouri, New Mexico, Oregon, and Utah are within my budget range, but I have left my list of costs in my room back at university (home for Christmas at the moment) so I don't know the costs exactly. All I remember money-wise is that California was expensive, same for the Northeastern universities and Florida. The rest is ok for me.

I am set on avoiding the Northeast of the US. I know it is the cost that has the most history but I feel that a) it would be too familiar for me (certainly New England); I am looking for a new experience, and b) I couldn't afford to study there. I am also not too fond of California or Florida, also because of expense and because I am not a beach kind of guy.

I have a criteria that I would like to try and meet. The university I apply to must...
- be located in a state rich in history. This is very vague, but I'd like to be in a state that has a substantial amount of research opportunities and enough history to write my final year dissertation on.
- have good academics. I am not looking for Harvard-style academics, but I'd like the university to be well-known nationally and not a party school.
- in/near (under an 1hr away from) a major US city.
- have good public transport and an Amtrak and Greyhound station.
- be in a region that gets dry heat NOT humid.

I know this is specific, and not all of my criteria will be met, but I want most of it to be.

I need to put down 5 choices, in order of preference, and "the study abroad team will try and make it possible for [me] to be able to attend one of [my] top 3 choices". If I pick 5 institutions I want them to be similar in respects to region and history. For example, I don't want to put Oregon down as one of my choices and then put down UNC. I want to stick to the same location so I know what to expect and if I don't get my top choice, then my other choices will be similar.

I am thinking of the following choices (based on historical topic/region). NB: $ = over budget.

Frontier
1. Utah
2. New Mexico
3. Kansas
4. Arizona $
5. Colorado $

Civil War
1. University of Richmond
2. UNC
3. Roanoke College
4. Goucher College
5. Rhode Island

Revolutionary War
1. Rhode Island
2. UMass $
3. Richmond
4. Roanoke
5. Goucher

What are your opinions/advice?

Thank you in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-22-2013, 07:27 AM
 
29 posts, read 28,416 times
Reputation: 34
University of Richmond - Richmond, Virginia was the confederate capital.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2013, 07:38 AM
 
21 posts, read 15,290 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricBJohnson_ View Post
University of Richmond - Richmond, Virginia was the confederate capital.
Yes, that would be a good choice for my Civil War list. I am pretty sure I want to focus on the Frontier, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2013, 07:42 AM
 
29 posts, read 28,416 times
Reputation: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by reynoldster View Post
Yes, that would be a good choice for my Civil War list. I am pretty sure I want to focus on the Frontier, though.

I think those are the more boring states. I notice you also said that you didn't care for the Northeast. I think the south is the most culturally rich part of the country. Charleston, South Carolina is amazing. As is Savannah Georgia.

I also mentioned Richmond, which in my view is a very underrated city. It's got the reputation of being the former confederate capitol though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2013, 07:49 AM
 
21 posts, read 15,290 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricBJohnson_ View Post
I think those are the more boring states. I notice you also said that you didn't care for the Northeast. I think the south is the most culturally rich part of the country. Charleston, South Carolina is amazing. As is Savannah Georgia.

I also mentioned Richmond, which in my view is a very underrated city. It's got the reputation of being the former confederate capitol though.
It's not that I don't care for it, it's just that it's too similar to the UK and a visit to Boston as a 14-year-old confirmed that.

I do like the Deep South. I prefer the look of Roanoke to Richmond, though, despite the rankings. I think I may "risk" applying to Georgetown, even though there's only one space and it goes to the highest scoring student in Year 1.

Out of my list, what 5 southern schools would you advise?

Also, it what ways are UT/NM/KS/AZ/CO boring? I've never been but they look very intriguing states.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2013, 07:55 AM
 
29 posts, read 28,416 times
Reputation: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by reynoldster View Post
It's not that I don't care for it, it's just that it's too similar to the UK and a visit to Boston as a 14-year-old confirmed that.

I do like the Deep South. I prefer the look of Roanoke to Richmond, though, despite the rankings. I think I may "risk" applying to Georgetown, even though there's only one space and it goes to the highest scoring student in Year 1.

Out of my list, what 5 southern schools would you advise?

Also, it what ways are UT/NM/KS/AZ/CO boring? I've never been but they look very intriguing states.
I've never been to Utah, so I probably shouldn't say. But the rest of those to me have and anytown usa style culture that I think would be a waste of money for you. The reason I mention the south is because the south has a unique culture. The music, food, people, architecture/etc have a unique vibe about them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2013, 07:59 AM
 
21 posts, read 15,290 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricBJohnson_ View Post
I've never been to Utah, so I probably shouldn't say. But the rest of those to me have and anytown usa style culture that I think would be a waste of money for you. The reason I mention the south is because the south has a unique culture. The music, food, people, architecture/etc have a unique vibe about them.
Thanks for the advice Yeah, I don't really want an Anytown USA vibe. I want somewhere that has a distinct yet "American" culture. What schools/states should I research further IYO?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2013, 08:05 AM
 
Location: Raccoon City
814 posts, read 1,073,702 times
Reputation: 1312
Quote:
Originally Posted by reynoldster View Post
It's not that I don't care for it, it's just that it's too similar to the UK and a visit to Boston as a 14-year-old confirmed that.

I do like the Deep South. I prefer the look of Roanoke to Richmond, though, despite the rankings. I think I may "risk" applying to Georgetown, even though there's only one space and it goes to the highest scoring student in Year 1.

Out of my list, what 5 southern schools would you advise?

Also, it what ways are UT/NM/KS/AZ/CO boring? I've never been but they look very intriguing states.
None of those states are boring. UT, AZ and NM are going to give you sort of a South Western with deserts and mountains adjacent. Very beautiful. Kansas is the only strictly Great Plains state you have: open prairie, stormy Springs, etc. The town the University of Kansas is located in is called Lawrence, Kansas which has an interesting Civil War history, as does the state thanks to John Brown. Colorado is amazingly beautiful with both mountains and plains. Probably one of the most beautiful states in the US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2013, 08:09 AM
 
29 posts, read 28,416 times
Reputation: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by reynoldster View Post
Thanks for the advice Yeah, I don't really want an Anytown USA vibe. I want somewhere that has a distinct yet "American" culture. What schools/states should I research further IYO?

Well I really like Georgia and South Carolina. Savannah, Georgia is quite literally like being transported back in time. It still has a lot of old south charm. I would say the same for Charleston, South Carolina, although I think Charleston is full of transplants from all over the country. I say this knowing you are interested in history. In my personal view Savannah Georgia is the most beautiful city in the United States. I'd try to relocate at least around there if you could.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2013, 08:13 AM
 
29 posts, read 28,416 times
Reputation: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefallensrvnge View Post
None of those states are boring. UT, AZ and NM are going to give you sort of a South Western with deserts and mountains adjacent. Very beautiful. Kansas is the only strictly Great Plains state you have: open prairie, stormy Springs, etc. The town the University of Kansas is located in is called Lawrence, Kansas which has an interesting Civil War history, as does the state thanks to John Brown. Colorado is amazingly beautiful with both mountains and plains. Probably one of the most beautiful states in the US.
SOme people like the deserts. I think there a barren, lifeless wasteland. A place to maybe visit for a day or two? maybe. To live for a year? No thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top