Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2014, 10:49 AM

4,651 posts, read 4,590,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr&MrBrooklyn View Post
I live in Brooklyn, a melting pot. As a gay man, I avoid muslims like the plague to be frank, but have had a few unfriendly encounters with Arabs while walking around with my husband. One of the reasons I'm moving to Fairfield County. Generally, any race would feel comfortable in New York City.
Frankly,don't see the correlation between the subject and your comment ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2014, 10:53 AM

9,961 posts, read 17,512,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scobby View Post
There are iranians muslims and christians so if they tend to be "not very muslim" then they're simply christians,atheist or somethin else .
There's a good number of Iranian Jews in the country(more than Iranian Christians). Though overall there's actually more Iranian Americans who are just non-religious at this point.

Old 01-11-2014, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBM View Post
The University area of Albuquerque, NM seems to have a decently sized muslim community. As part of a student group, we visited the New Mexico Islamic Center on Yale Blvd, and it had a large number of attendees of all ages and so many different people. I wouldn't say the muslim community is super big in New Mexico, but it's here and well-represented.
That's news to me,thanks for the info.

Old 01-11-2014, 10:55 AM

93,189 posts, read 123,783,345 times
In Syracuse, some live on the East Side near the university and there is a mosque in that area. Some may live in the very diverse area of the city's North Side, as well as some on the West Side. As for the suburbs, I'd say that DeWitt and Camillus have some as well(Jamesville-DeWitt and West Genesee SD's). There are Halal stores and a school in the area too.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 01-11-2014 at 11:05 AM..

Old 01-11-2014, 11:01 AM

2,330 posts, read 3,808,212 times
Minneapolis has the largest Somali community in the US, and there are also a lot of non-Somali Muslims. It is estimated that there are about 150,000 Muslims in the Twin Cities or about 4% of the metro population.

Old 01-11-2014, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
There's a good number of Iranian Jews in the country(more than Iranian Christians). Though overall there's actually more Iranian Americans who are just non-religious at this point.
Maybe but Iranians have also other religious belief like Zorastrianism
"The ancient Persian religion of Zoroastrianism ... Background: The religion was founded by Zarathushtra in Persia -- modern-day Iran."

Ismailism
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ismaili

Old 01-11-2014, 11:05 AM

27,546 posts, read 28,630,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domabozo View Post
Please name your nearby neighbourhoods or suburbs where significant number of Muslims / Arabs exists
In the Washington, D.C. area, the Muslim/Middle-Eastern population is scattered throughout but tends to be more concentrated in parts of Northern Virginia.

I'm not sure about the exact statistics in particular suburbs. However, there are plenty of mosques in Maryland and Virginia. Washington, D.C. has some as well.

Old 01-11-2014, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
In Syracuse, some live on the East Side near the university and there is a mosque in that area. Some may live in the very diverse area of the city's North Side, as well as some on the West Side. As for the suburbs, I'd say that DeWitt and Camillus have some as well(Jamesville-DeWitt and West Genesee SD's).
Thnks,i did not it was a sizeable ? Do you have any numbers ?

Old 01-11-2014, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewcifer View Post
Minneapolis has the largest Somali community in the US, and there are also a lot of non-Somali Muslims. It is estimated that there are about 150,000 Muslims in the Twin Cities or about 4% of the metro population.
I knew that about the Somalis in Minneapolis but who are the non-somali ?

Old 01-11-2014, 11:33 AM

93,189 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scobby View Post
Thnks,i did not it was a sizeable ? Do you have any numbers ?
I don't have numbers, but here is some information: Home

Home Page

https://plus.google.com/app/basic/10...ource=appredir

Butcher Shop | Syracuse, NY

http://m.yelp.com/biz/madina-halal-m...ocery-syracuse

http://m.yelp.com/biz/jerusalem-supermarket-syracuse

We have Somalians, Lebanese(Christian and Muslim), Palestinians and Turks, among others. Actually, this charter school was opened by Turkish immigrants: Syracuse Academy of Science Charter School | K-12 | College Preparatory School

Many of the corner stores in the city are owned by Arabs too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.