Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2013, 11:04 AM

1,272 posts, read 2,182,897 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Maryland is Democrat also because of the high concentration of white liberals as well as Latinos, Asians and other minorities in the densely populated part of the state (central Maryland).

It tilts rather strongly liberal actually, except for western Maryland and the eastern shore.

Interesting to note that Missouri and Maryland have nearly equal populations, even though Missouri is 5 and half times the size of Maryland.
That was one of my points. Maryland is a much denser and more urbanized state, which inherently makes it more democratic leaning. Combine that with a large minority population (specifically Afro-American) and you have a pretty liberal state on your hand.

Missouri is a large agricultural state with two large cities on the far eastern and far western bookends of the state, with much of that urban population split into other states (Illinois and Kansas). There is also a lot more rural hinterland, which inevitably makes the state much more conservative leaning. Couple that with a highly centralized Afro-American population (about 55% live St. Louis City and County alone) that is slightly smaller than the national average and a very small Hispanic population and you have the makings of a fairly conservative state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2013, 11:27 AM

2,122 posts, read 3,686,986 times
Maryland is a pretty small state relative to Missouri. I would say Maryland is more southern as a whole. You have to remember that Missouri's population is pretty concentrated in the two major cities, and that it is a pretty tall state. (It runs from the latitude of Pittsburgh, PA to the latitude of Nashville, TN. There are parts of Missouri that are part of the south in every way, as well as parts that are part of the midwest in every way. I'm one of the few Missourians that considers myself to be southern.

And the black population of Missouri is in St. Louis & Kansas City, Little Dixie (Which ironically isn't southern culturally any more) and the Bootheel, which might as well be part of the deep south.

Old 12-31-2013, 09:23 AM

213 posts, read 323,014 times
Those on here that say Missouri is like a different world compared to the Upper Midwest don't realize that they are classifying half of Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, and all of Kansas as the South as well. Missouri has Southern influence in its rural areas, but is not actually the South until the far Southern parts of the state. I would say Maryland is probably more Southern than Missouri simply because it was a Southern state for far longer. I however think Maryland today is NOT the South, but part of the Lower Northeast.

Old 12-31-2013, 09:45 AM

1,219 posts, read 1,755,978 times
Maryland is NOT a southern state. I dont know why people still say this, if anything Maryland is the end of the Northeast. I dont even consider DC a southern city but the southernmost Northern city. Anyone who has been to Maryland and VA a number of times can tell you there is a huge difference between the two once you leave NOVA. People in Maryland dont even sound Southern anymore.

And if a large black population makes a state southern, how do you explain the large black populations of NY, NJ, MA, & CT. Are they also southern?

Old 12-31-2013, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatDJohns View Post
Maryland is NOT a southern state. I dont know why people still say this, if anything Maryland is the end of the Northeast. I dont even consider DC a southern city but the southernmost Northern city. Anyone who has been to Maryland and VA a number of times can tell you there is a huge difference between the two once you leave NOVA. People in Maryland dont even sound Southern anymore.

And if a large black population makes a state southern, how do you explain the large black populations of NY, NJ, MA, & CT. Are they also southern?
Maryland is overwhelmingly black in comparison to most other "Northeastern" states. It's demographics are way more similar to other nearby southern states like Virginia and Delaware.

According to the census Maryland is the 4th blackest state in the Union. In fact, the top 10 states with the largest African American populations are all in the census designated South.

1 Mississippi 1,074,200 37.30%
2 Louisiana 1,452,396 31.98%
3 Georgia 2,950,435 30.02%
4 Maryland 1,700,298 29.44%
5 South Carolina 1,290,684 28.48%
6 Alabama 1,251,311 26.38%
7 North Carolina 2,048,628 21.60%
8 Delaware 191,814 20.95%
9 Virginia 1,551,399 19.91%
10 Tennessee 1,055,689 16.78%
11 Florida 2,999,862 15.91%
12 Arkansas 449,895 15.76%
New York 3,073,800 15.18%
14 Illinois 1,866,414 14.88%
New Jersey 1,204,826 14.46%
16 Michigan 1,400,362 14.24%
17 Ohio 1,407,681 12.04%
18 Texas 2,979,598 11.91%
Missouri 704,043 11.49%
20 Pennsylvania 1,377,689 10.79%
Connecticut 362,296 10.34%
22 Indiana 591,397 9.07%
23 Nevada 218,626 8.10%
24 Oklahoma 277,644 7.96%
25 Kentucky 337,520 7.71%
Massachusetts 434,398 7.02%

According to the census, Maryland is nearly 3x as black as Connecticut, 4x as black as Massachusetts, and 2x as black as New York and New Jersey.

Maryland has been classified by the census as being a Southern state in the "Mid Atlantic region" along with Virginia, Delaware, North Carolina etc.

I mentioned before that I don't consider Baltimore a Southern city, but rather a Border city like St. Louis but in my opinion Maryland, DC, and Virginia a more Southern tradition, history, and culture than Missouri. The larger African American population is just indicative of that.

I will say that Maryland in 2013 is not Maryland in 1913 or 1813, even 1963, but to denounce that Maryland has any Southern affiliation would be just as dishonest as me saying Missouri doesn't have any Southerness.

Last edited by goat314; 12-31-2013 at 02:35 PM..

Old 12-31-2013, 02:22 PM

1,485 posts, read 2,253,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Definitely Missouri. Many people don't know this, but the Beverly Hillbillies were supposed to be from the Ozarks of Missouri, specifically the area around Branson ... which today is the country music honky tonk all-things-Southern tourist mecca of the universe.
Gotta throw in Pigeon Forge-Gatlinburg TN in there as well. It's equally the Southern tourist trap that Branson is.

On an unrelated note, I don't think having a large African-American population necessarily makes a place more Southern than another. New York State has more African-Americans than any other state by pure numbers, and also has a higher black percentage than several Southern states as well.

There was a time that both Missouri and Maryland could be counted as Southern states, but they became perpetually more associated with the Midwest and Mid-Atlantic/Northeast, respectively, when they started deviating from the Solid South political powerhouse over 100 years ago. Maryland nowadays is a virtual lock to go blue every four years, and Missouri, while still conservative-leaning, is still much more of a tossup state than most Southern states.

Old 12-31-2013, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fezzador View Post
Gotta throw in Pigeon Forge-Gatlinburg TN in there as well. It's equally the Southern tourist trap that Branson is.

On an unrelated note, I don't think having a large African-American population necessarily makes a place more Southern than another. New York State has more African-Americans than any other state by pure numbers, and also has a higher black percentage than several Southern states as well.

There was a time that both Missouri and Maryland could be counted as Southern states, but they became perpetually more associated with the Midwest and Mid-Atlantic/Northeast, respectively, when they started deviating from the Solid South political powerhouse over 100 years ago. Maryland nowadays is a virtual lock to go blue every four years, and Missouri, while still conservative-leaning, is still much more of a tossup state than most Southern states.
In terms of percentage, the top 10 states are census designated Southern. Also, Maryland is twice as black as New York by percentages. New York is also not blacker than any traditionally Southern state. The Southeast the highest black percentages in the country for one obvious reason, that's where most of the slavery was taking place. Even with the decline in population from the great migrations, most Southern states are still considerable blacker than northern states.

Exactly, I would say that Missouri is more similar to a state like Indiana politically than Georgia or even Texas.

Old 12-31-2013, 02:43 PM

525 posts, read 508,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by $mk8795 View Post
Good Opinions but Maryland still remains a Southern state despite opinions....
???

I don't understand your fixation on Maryland being labeled "southern."

Prior to you, and this forum to a lesser degree, I don't think I've ever seen anyone so fervently defend the supposed "southernness" of a state that most people don't appear to believe is in the south?

Sorta confused.

Who cares if it's southern, northern, or mid-atlantic??? Does it effect your day to day? I'm going to assume not.

Old 12-31-2013, 03:26 PM

2,122 posts, read 3,686,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerTHB View Post
Maryland is a pretty small state relative to Missouri. I would say Maryland is more southern as a whole. You have to remember that Missouri's population is pretty concentrated in the two major cities, and that it is a pretty tall state. (It runs from the latitude of Pittsburgh, PA to the latitude of Nashville, TN. There are parts of Missouri that are part of the south in every way, as well as parts that are part of the midwest in every way. I'm one of the few Missourians that considers myself to be southern.

And the black population of Missouri is in St. Louis & Kansas City, Little Dixie (Which ironically isn't southern culturally any more) and the Bootheel, which might as well be part of the deep south.
I should clarify my statement in my 2nd sentence. Maryland as a whole is more southern than Missouri as a whole.

With that being said, there certainly are parts of Missouri that are more southern culturally than anything in Maryland.

Old 12-31-2013, 04:18 PM

32,101 posts, read 34,720,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goat314 View Post
In terms of percentage, the top 10 states are census designated Southern. Also, Maryland is twice as black as New York by percentages. New York is also not blacker than any traditionally Southern state. The Southeast the highest black percentages in the country for one obvious reason, that's where most of the slavery was taking place. Even with the decline in population from the great migrations, most Southern states are still considerable blacker than northern states.

Exactly, I would say that Missouri is more similar to a state like Indiana politically than Georgia or even Texas.
Yeah, but slavery does not make a place southern. The North had slaves too. And Maryland barely had any slaves at all.

St. Louis also lacks Baltimore's HUGE Irish and Italian populations.

Last edited by BajanYankee; 12-31-2013 at 04:26 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.