U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2013, 10:42 PM

1,775 posts, read 2,517,724 times

Advertisements

What is your favorite city to visit for vacation, yet wouldn't ever want to live?

And, conversely, in what city would you want to live, yet wouldn't want to visit for vacation?

My answers are San Francisco, CA and Rochester, NY respectively.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2013, 10:46 PM

9,781 posts, read 16,273,333 times
Visit but not live: New Orleans

Live but not visit: None. If it's too boring to visit in it's certainly going to be too boring to live in!

Old 12-27-2013, 10:49 PM

42,677 posts, read 44,354,101 times
Juno, Alaska.

Old 12-27-2013, 10:49 PM

12,698 posts, read 10,535,014 times
I would love to vacation in areas like Phoenix, Albuquerque, and other parts of the southwest but don't think I could ever live there. I'd throw Las Vegas in there, too. As I think about it, I'd like to visit most landlocked areas located in the midwest, southwest, or interior western states like Colorado or Nevada. I couldn't live that far from the ocean, though. I'm also very interested in Denver, CO and any place in Alaska for a visit but can't imagine living there.

Where could I live but never vacation in? That's a much harder one. I guess I'd pick smaller, less major cities for this, like you chose Rochester. Cities like Charlotte or Raleigh come to mind.

Old 12-27-2013, 10:50 PM

56,750 posts, read 81,082,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn.Davenport View Post
What is your favorite city to visit for vacation, yet wouldn't ever want to live?

And, conversely, in what city would you want to live, yet wouldn't want to visit for vacation?

My answers are San Francisco, CA and Rochester, NY respectively.
Just curious, what is it about Rochester that you didn't like?

Old 12-27-2013, 10:50 PM

2,343 posts, read 2,757,316 times
Any city/town/place in Alaska or Hawaii.

Old 12-27-2013, 10:56 PM

4,552 posts, read 3,656,677 times
Places to visit, not live in:
- California cities
- Hawaii
- Most places in Alaska (might make an exception to Anchorage)
- Probably towns north of here, like Salt Lake, Helen, Boise, etc.
- Miami
- Rural towns
- NYC
- DC

Places to live in, but would not want to visit:
- Tucson
- Phoenix

Old 12-27-2013, 10:59 PM

12,698 posts, read 10,535,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Well, it was chosen as a city the OP would want to live in but not visit. If she is willing to live there, I'm sure she likes Rochester. Maybe it's just not interesting enough for her to take the time and spend the money to visit, though. There are definitely places I would never visit but would live in. Any small town is a good example. If I weren't from where I live, would I take the time to visit it? Of course not. It's a town of like 25,000 people with no tourist attractions outside our 9/11 Memorial. But I love living here.

Old 12-27-2013, 11:30 PM

1,775 posts, read 2,517,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Nothing. It's my favorite of the Upstate New York cities. As I said, I'd be happy to live in Rochester. I think it's a very livable city, it has a nice downtown, the people are friendly, they have some good restaurants, a couple well respected universities.

But, when I have time off work and extra money to spend, I can think of dozens among dozen of places where I'd rather go than Rochester. Even in Upstate New York, I'd rather spend a vacation in Ithaca or the Adirondacks.

Last edited by Dawn.Davenport; 12-27-2013 at 11:39 PM..

Old 12-28-2013, 06:48 AM

56,750 posts, read 81,082,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn.Davenport View Post
Nothing. It's my favorite of the Upstate New York cities. As I said, I'd be happy to live in Rochester. I think it's a very livable city, it has a nice downtown, the people are friendly, they have some good restaurants, a couple well respected universities.

But, when I have time off work and extra money to spend, I can think of dozens among dozen of places where I'd rather go than Rochester. Even in Upstate New York, I'd rather spend a vacation in Ithaca or the Adirondacks.
I got ya and was curious to see if the reasons were similar to the cons I've heard from others on C-D about the area. I just misread the OP. My badness......If I had my way, if Rochester and Syracuse could swap a few attributes, I think that place would be a great area/city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or