Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2013, 02:00 PM

93,307 posts, read 123,941,088 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Well then, I guess Florida is only going to get more expensive, and NY will get cheaper. Right?
In many cases, there isn't any difference between Upstate NY and much of Florida already. What may help Florida in this regard is that many of the people moving there are retirees that don't have a need for things in relation to schools directly. On the other hand, with any growth in population, things like infrastructure will be an issue. Pay would need to increase in FL as well.

Here's some more information: Sebring, Fla., is most popular U.S. market with senior citizens - The Business Journals

Florida sweeps top 13 slots in Southern retirement rankings - The Business Journals

I believe that NY actually has a younger median age of its population than FL(40 for FL vs 38 for NY).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2013, 02:01 PM

1,612 posts, read 2,421,409 times
Quote:
Well then, I guess Florida is only going to get more expensive, and NY will get cheaper. Right?
NY State growth is basically NY City growth (and maybe a bit in the suburbs and Hudson Valley).

Florida growth is basically statewide.

The issue with affordable housing in NY is a NYC and environs issue. It isn't a Syracuse issue or Binghamton issue. Anything within 100 miles or so of Manhattan will have affordability issues, but once you get far Upstate NY has the same costs as anywhere else in the U.S.

Old 12-30-2013, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiVegas View Post
NY State growth is basically NY City growth (and maybe a bit in the suburbs and Hudson Valley).

Florida growth is basically statewide.

The issue with affordable housing in NY is a NYC and environs issue. It isn't a Syracuse issue or Binghamton issue. Anything within 100 miles or so of Manhattan will have affordability issues, but once you get far Upstate NY has the same costs as anywhere else in the U.S.
Basically.....One thing I want to clear up about NY is that its fastest growing county between 2000-2010 was actually Saratoga County, with Orange, Rockland, Ontario and Dutchess rounding out the top 5: Growth of New York counties | rocdocs

Old 12-30-2013, 02:29 PM

1,612 posts, read 2,421,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Basically.....One thing I want to clear up about NY is that its fastest growing county between 2000-2010 was actually Saratoga County, with Orange, Rockland, Ontario and Dutchess rounding out the top 5: Growth of New York counties | rocdocs
Yeah, basically if you take NY State and fold it in half, you see more growth on the eastern half. Basically NYC and suburbs, and Hudson River up to Adirondack Park borders, have the growth.

Albany area (which includes Saratoga County) is Upstate, of course, but it is really kind of Downstate in terms of population growth, home prices, etc. It doesn't really follow the course of the other Upstate cities. Maybe because it's relatively close to NYC, or because of the govt. presence, or the tech growth, who knows...

But basically, for the affordability issues, just draw a 100 mile radius around Times Square, and that's where the high housing prices are. Everywhere else in NY State (and neighboring parts of NJ, CT, PA, etc.) are normally priced.

Old 12-30-2013, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Yeah, basically if you take NY State and fold it in half, you see more growth on the eastern half. Basically NYC and suburbs, and Hudson River up to Adirondack Park borders, have the growth.

Albany area (which includes Saratoga County) is Upstate, of course, but it is really kind of Downstate in terms of population growth, home prices, etc. It doesn't really follow the course of the other Upstate cities. Maybe because it's relatively close to NYC, or because of the govt. presence, or the tech growth, who knows...

But basically, for the affordability issues, just draw a 100 mile radius around Times Square, and that's where the high housing prices are. Everywhere else in NY State (and neighboring parts of NJ, CT, PA, etc.) are normally priced.
Yeah, if you want affordable and growing in Upstate NY, look into Ontario(Rochester area), Madison(Syracuse area), Seneca(between Syracuse and Rochester/Rochester CSA), Tompkins(Ithaca area) and Jefferson(Watertown-Fort Drum area) counties in terms of the top 5 that fit that criteria.

Old 12-30-2013, 03:59 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,336,999 times
Quote:
Upstate NY will need to start growing faster. I know Upstate has improved big time from 10-20 years ago, and is finally showing some growth in parts, but it needs to strengthen further.

You basically have NYC accounting for all the growth in the state, and it needs to be more broad-based.

For Florida, I am interested in seeing where the growth is occurring. Is it the "usual suspects" or has it changed somewhat? I know that the areas that got killed in the last recession (places like Cape Coral, Naples, etc.) have been doing much better so are they again the growth leaders in FL?
All areas have recovered, but it looks like growth won't be returning to what it used to be anytime soon. I know my hometown of Naples, and my home of 8 years Tampa, as well as Orlando where family lives appears to be having building booms all over the place. But it looks like with Florida only growing 3.75% in three years the momentum hasn't built up yet. I really thought 2012-2013 that was going to change around.

For decades prior to the Great Recession it wasn't unheard for Florida to grow more than 3% in just ONE year. Now it is taking three years just to break 3%. I guess I didn't help things by moving to Georgia earlier this month. lol.

Old 12-30-2013, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Florida is nice, but seriously overrated. It's too flat and boring looking and has no variety in seasons and weather. The population as a whole is less educated than NY and there's less intellectualism.
I won't entirely disagree with you there, as I can't even begin to count the extraordinarily high number snow runners with only high school diplomas moving down here to work in restaurants for the rest of their lives. Every Floridian knows the people I am talking about.

But I live in Atlanta now and apparently this metro has more than 40% of its people holding a bachelor's degree and I gotta say Floridians do seem a little more enlightened. Maybe I have just met the wrong people in my first month.

Old 12-30-2013, 04:11 PM

Okay. Did not like this release. I was expecting Florida to take over New York and North Carolina to take over Michigan and Georgia to break the 10 million mark. Absolutely none of what I wanted happened and now I have to wait another year to see the numbers I want to see!

Old 12-30-2013, 04:29 PM

9,092 posts, read 6,314,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CravingMountains View Post
With the exception of New York City the state of New York kind of just sucks to live in.
The rest of NY state sucks because NYC hogs all the financial resources. The same situation exists in Massachusetts with Boston. States where all the resources are concentrated in one city are not healthy and balanced.

Last edited by AtkinsonDan; 12-30-2013 at 04:42 PM..

Old 12-30-2013, 04:46 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,947,442 times
Summers in upstate NY are much, much nicer than summers in FL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.