Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2013, 09:49 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,496,781 times

Advertisements

This has been a long time coming, but on the flipside, NYC CSA still has more people than the entire state of Florida.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2013, 10:33 AM

1,612 posts, read 2,419,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
This has been a long time coming, but on the flipside, NYC CSA still has more people than the entire state of Florida.
This actually speaks to the reasoning why this is happening. NYC metropolitan area is much bigger than Florida (and NY State, for that matter) and will probably always be bigger than Florida (and NY State).

In Florida and most parts of the country, if someone moves from city to suburb, it's still in the same state. But for NYC, something like 70% of the suburban population of the NYC metropolitan area is in other states.

So you have this weird situation where NYC has more raw population growth than any other city in the nation, and where NYC suburbs are growing rather quickly for an older city. But, most of the suburban growth is in NJ, CT, and PA, not NY, because much of NY suburban areas are restricted to development (because of the NYC watershed, and various protected lands). So really 90% of the suburban sprawl has occurred in states outside NY.

So NY State is pretty much NYC and Upstate. Upstate is either half empty (Adirondacks) or half very, very slow growth, so it isn't surprising that NY State is growing slower than Florida. Florida has no empty areas like the Adirondacks, and is a significantly bigger state in terms of geography too.

Old 12-30-2013, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemba View Post
I think in 20-30 years, Georgia and possibly Arizona will pass New York as well. Those states are growing rapidly as well.
Those states don't have more raw population growth than NY State, so highly unlikely. NY State has nearly 20 million, Georgia less than 10 million, Arizona around 6 million. All three states have similar population growth, at least in 2013.

The Census results came out, BTW, and NY State is still #3 in population. The state added more than 75,000 residents, which is by far the highest of an older Northeast/Midwest state.

I am guessing that the strong majority of growth in NY State is in NYC. I would not be surprised if NYC accounted for 80% of statewide population growth.

Old 12-30-2013, 10:41 AM

93,193 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiVegas View Post
This actually speaks to the reasoning why this is happening. NYC metropolitan area is much bigger than Florida (and NY State, for that matter) and will probably always be bigger than Florida (and NY State).

In Florida and most parts of the country, if someone moves from city to suburb, it's still in the same state. But for NYC, something like 70% of the suburban population of the NYC metropolitan area is in other states.

So you have this weird situation where NYC has more raw population growth than any other city in the nation, and where NYC suburbs are growing rather quickly for an older city. But, most of the suburban growth is in NJ, CT, and PA, not NY, because much of NY suburban areas are restricted to development (because of the NYC watershed, and various protected lands). So really 90% of the suburban sprawl has occurred in states outside NY.

So NY State is pretty much NYC and Upstate. Upstate is either half empty (Adirondacks) or half very, very slow growth, so it isn't surprising that NY State is growing slower than Florida. Florida has no empty areas like the Adirondacks, and is a significantly bigger state in terms of geography too.
This is pretty much true, but some may point to the Everglades in terms of an area in FL that isn't widely developed. NY also has the Catskills that has limited development as well. I'd rep you, but they said that I've given too many out.

Old 12-30-2013, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
This is pretty much true, but some may point to the Everglades in terms of an area in FL that isn't widely developed. NY also has the Catskills that has limited development as well. I'd rep you, but they said that I've given too many out.
True, the Everglades are empty in Florida. I totally forgot about the Everglades. But the Adirondacks are absolutely gigantic.

The Adirondacks cover 6.1 million acres. The park is around the size of Vermont. Everglades are less than 25% the size of the Adirondacks.

Old 12-30-2013, 10:55 AM

93,193 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiVegas View Post
True, the Everglades are empty in Florida. I totally forgot about the Everglades. But the Adirondacks are absolutely gigantic.

The Adirondacks cover 6.1 million acres. The park is around the size of Vermont. Everglades are less than 25% the size of the Adirondacks.
That is true, I think the size of the Adirondack Park area could fit something like 5 major National Parks within its boundaries. Adirondack Park - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 12-30-2013, 11:17 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,447,987 times
[quote=MichiVegas;32799020]

So you have this weird situation where NYC has more raw population growth than any other city in the nation, and where NYC suburbs are growing rather quickly for an older city. But, most of the suburban growth is in NJ, CT, and PA, not NY, because much of NY suburban areas are restricted to development (because of the NYC watershed, and various protected lands). So really 90% of the suburban sprawl has occurred in states outside NY./QUOTE]

Not particularly. Metro population hasn't been particularly quick: 1.35%. Since the city grew up 2%, the suburbs grew even slower than average. And this just from a 2 year estimate, the 2000-2010 showed rather stagnant growth but with the suburbs slightly more than the suburbs.

Old 12-30-2013, 11:29 AM

8,289 posts, read 13,559,257 times
Default New York state retains #3 rank

Well the Census estimates released today keeps New York state as #3 in population rank but not by much.
New York 2013 estimate :19,651,127
Florida 2013 estimate : 19,552,860

New York holds the lead with 98,267 more residents than Florida except is growing at almost 3 X as fast as New York since 2010.

New York state growth rate since 2010 : 1.3% +
Florida state growth rate since 2010 : 3.75% +

Florida should become the #3 state by the end of 2014.

Florida’s population grows, but not enough to overcome New York - Miami-Dade - MiamiHerald.com

Old 12-30-2013, 11:32 AM

Upstate NY will need to start growing faster. I know Upstate has improved big time from 10-20 years ago, and is finally showing some growth in parts, but it needs to strengthen further.

You basically have NYC accounting for all the growth in the state, and it needs to be more broad-based.

For Florida, I am interested in seeing where the growth is occurring. Is it the "usual suspects" or has it changed somewhat? I know that the areas that got killed in the last recession (places like Cape Coral, Naples, etc.) have been doing much better so are they again the growth leaders in FL?

Old 12-30-2013, 11:32 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,937,475 times
Florida is nice, but seriously overrated. It's too flat and boring looking and has no variety in seasons and weather. The population as a whole is less educated than NY and there's less intellectualism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.