Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2014, 07:16 AM

10,106 posts, read 9,953,102 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_J View Post
I had always considered Columbia to be a sort of transition zone between the DMV and the Baltimore area.

(I'd add Frederick city as both the northern and the western limit of the DMV as well.)
I'd say just south of Columbia is where the transition begins. Columbia is still well within Baltimore area of influence. Even going to local businesses in the area, you'll see that people identify with Baltimore more. My unscientific way of seeing it was by counting what teams were represented more by the counting jerseys. Columbia was 80% for the Baltimore area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2014, 07:20 AM

10,106 posts, read 9,953,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David_J View Post
I had always considered Columbia to be a sort of transition zone between the DMV and the Baltimore area.

(I'd add Frederick city as both the northern and the western limit of the DMV as well.)
I'd say just south of Columbia is where the transition begins. Columbia is still well within Baltimore area of influence. Even going to local businesses in the area, you'll see that people identify with Baltimore more. My unscientific way of seeing it was by counting what teams were represented more by the counting jerseys. Columbia was 80% for the Baltimore teams.

Old 01-21-2014, 06:25 PM

1,567 posts, read 3,115,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by $mk8795 View Post
Baltimore and Richmond are both Cities in the South and neither city defines authentic Northern Culture.........
Baltimore's neighborhoods look and feel like Philly neighborhoods. The accents are very similar. The people, particularly the white working/middle class, seem like they are cut from the same cloth. This tells me that Baltimore is just as "southern" as Philly is.

Don't know enough about Richmond to comment on it.

Old 01-21-2014, 06:28 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,536,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mancat100 View Post
Baltimore's neighborhoods look and feel like Philly neighborhoods. The accents are very similar. The people, particularly the white working/middle class, seem like they are cut from the same cloth. This tells me that Baltimore is just as "southern" as Philly is.

Don't bother with him. He's so deep in denial even the Egyptians can't fish him out.

Seriously this guy will aggravate the heck out of you.

Old 01-21-2014, 06:29 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,205,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
Don't bother with him. He's so deep in denial even the Egyptians can't fish him out.

Seriously this guy will aggravate the heck out of you.
+1

Old 01-21-2014, 07:48 PM

581 posts, read 968,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mancat100 View Post
My impression was southern getting hijacked by hipsters with lots of PBR.

The $mk8whatever guy is best ignored. His sole purpose on CD is to repeatedly profess "the Truth" and "the Fact" that MD "A Southern State" without ever backing anything up.
I'm someone who grew up in MD in a southern culture, and even I find the guy aggravating.

Old 01-26-2014, 09:39 PM

1,514 posts, read 2,775,375 times
Richmond is Mid Atlantic hipsters. Used to be southern, but its been pushed out by northerners (like myself) moving down for the warmer weather and cool vibe.

Given that Virginia is barely a southern state any more (over 50% in favor of gay marriage) I don't see how anyone can call MD a southern state… Some parts, yeah, but the state, no way.

Old 01-26-2014, 09:50 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,028,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlesaf3 View Post
Richmond is Mid Atlantic hipsters. Used to be southern, but its been pushed out by northerners (like myself) moving down for the warmer weather and cool vibe.

Given that Virginia is barely a southern state any more (over 50% in favor of gay marriage) I don't see how anyone can call MD a southern state… Some parts, yeah, but the state, no way.
I hate this way of thinking...lots of transplants and liberal thinking don't remove VA from the South. The South is a diverse region and in no way homogenous. Just because an area is not traditionally/historically southern doesn't mean it isn't part of the region. Virginia and Richmond are solidly southern.

Old 01-26-2014, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
I hate this way of thinking...lots of transplants and liberal thinking don't remove VA from the South. The South is a diverse region and in no way homogenous. Just because an area is not traditionally/historically southern doesn't mean it isn't part of the region. Virginia and Richmond are solidly southern.
Actually, they're indian clearly. Southerners moving here a few hundred years ago didn't change anything. Because change doesn't change anything clearly.

So I guess by virtue of moving to the south I'm an Indian now…

Old 01-26-2014, 10:07 PM

And miami, by virtue of how far south it is, is clearly the most southern city ever!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.