Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2014, 05:26 PM

9,182 posts, read 12,057,739 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by belmont22 View Post
It's also darker being further north and cloudier.
darker and cloudier have nothing to do with the temperature.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2014, 06:21 AM

2,096 posts, read 4,750,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
In a way they do - it makes it feel colder.

Old 01-05-2014, 03:44 PM

9,182 posts, read 12,057,739 times
The wind makes it much colder than clouds

Old 01-05-2014, 04:42 PM

4,670 posts, read 5,058,575 times
It looks amazing out there. It looks like the most naturally beautiful area of America. I won't be able to seriously comment on the Pacific Northwest until my trip out to Portland and the central coast in a week and a half. The weather looks balmy after what we have had and will have in Chicago. Just about every day, the low there is warmer than the high back home.

Old 01-06-2014, 12:51 AM

281 posts, read 709,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belmont22 View Post
The culture is tacky as hell. Nobody cares about what they wear, you can go to the store in your pajamas. Which I guess is kinda cool in a way too but it just represents the half-assed nature of life here.
I went to fred meyers last night in my sweats to buy some milk. Before I left the house, I thought to myself, "Maybe I should put some jeans on." But then I remembered that I live in Oregon, where nobody gives a flying **** what you wear, and that's the way I like it!

Old 01-06-2014, 01:54 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,088,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
Actually, the clouds keep it warmer. It's when the clouds clear off that the temperatures tend to drop. At least, that's the way it works in Portland. It's why it doesn't snow very often. Cold and Clouds with precipitation don't often happen at the same time.

Old 01-06-2014, 05:11 PM

2,096 posts, read 4,750,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
Actually, the clouds keep it warmer. It's when the clouds clear off that the temperatures tend to drop. At least, that's the way it works in Portland. It's why it doesn't snow very often. Cold and Clouds with precipitation don't often happen at the same time.
Yup, this is precisely true. Mild sunny winter weather in Portland is also not common.

Old 01-06-2014, 05:41 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,634,243 times
Very overrated honestly. Crappy weather, high prices, isolation from the rest of the country...

The cities are nice though. I'd definitely live in Vancouver, Seattle, and Portland (in that order).

Last edited by Mezter; 01-06-2014 at 06:28 PM..

Old 01-06-2014, 06:47 PM

1,979 posts, read 3,508,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
Very overrated honestly. Crappy weather, high prices, isolation from the rest of the country...

The cities are nice though. I'd definitely live in Vancouver, Seattle, and Portland (in that order).
I still don't get the isolation thing. You can only live in one city at a time. I know a ton of people on the east coast that only travel outside of their metro if it's for work, and I know others in Florida, Texas, California, etc. that never leave their state. If you never leave your metro/state, what difference does it make how close you are to other major cities?

Most of the people I know here travel a lot - for work or personal - and all of my friends that I can think of have Passports. As for cities/places that we are close to, I'll take Vancouver, Portland, the Oregon coast, Victoria, the San Juans, Washington and Oregon wine countries, ski resorts galore, and all of California just fine (yes, I'm including California, because there are so many flights on multiple airlines/airports between Seattle/Portland and San Francisco/LA that they're more than hourly). That is, if you're figuring that the only time when proximity to other destinations really matters that much would be for, say, a weekend mini break.

A nice bonus for those of us who travel on business a lot and live up here: we get a ton of frequent flier miles. My family is headed to the middle east and Africa on vacation this year - Business Class on Emirates - with the miles I've accumulated flying all over our country. Funny, I don't feel isolated at all.

Old 01-06-2014, 11:21 PM

1,795 posts, read 3,149,394 times
Actually I rarely here people talk about the Pacific Northwest. Makes me want to visit there right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.