Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2016, 05:38 AM

2,262 posts, read 2,395,694 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poquoson7 View Post
The last 9+ posts have had nothing to do with Virginia or North Carolina folks......

I live in the Hampton Roads/VA Beach metro and IT IS becoming less southern which is neither good or bad, it just is.
Lol you always say this but HR is still very much southern. Have you been to Williamburg? They have places like Southern Pancake and Waffle House, I mean...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2016, 11:23 AM

1,724 posts, read 1,857,197 times
Quote:
The last 9+ posts have had nothing to do with Virginia or North Carolina folks......

I live in the Hampton Roads/VA Beach metro and IT IS becoming less southern which is neither good or bad, it just is.
It's still just as Southern as ever. You're only kidding yourself if you think the South is vanishing.

Old 04-25-2016, 01:37 PM

998 posts, read 1,248,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVA_guy View Post
Lol you always say this but HR is still very much southern. Have you been to Williamburg? They have places like Southern Pancake and Waffle House, I mean...
There are 3 Waffle House locations in Fairfax County, one is in Alexandria.

I work in Williamsburg, know it well. I wouldn't know I was in the south if we base this discussion on southern "culture". It smells like the south, the foliage is a hybrid of north and south and bbq abounds. The original question was are NC and VA becoming less southern and the eastern two thirds of VA are "culturally" becoming less southern, you dig that right. Hampton Roads, Richmond and NOVA are in the south but are becoming less southern all the time.

Hampton Roads and NOVA in particular house mostly transplants brought to town with the military, government contracting, the ports, Hilton Worldwide, VW America, Ferguson, Continental, Liebherr, Northrup Grumman, SAIC, CIA, FBI, CANON USA, Huntington/Ingalls and the list goes on.

These two metro areas are an amalgam of people from all over the country who have lived all over the world and for the most part are not culturally southern. The culture in eastern VA is East Coast, not NY east coast, just generic southern BoshWash east coast.
I have been to the south and it starts with a vengeance in Southside VA along the NC border and rapidly intensifies as you venture further south.

Eastern VA is in and of the south but is not culturally southern in my transplant from the West opinion.

Old 04-25-2016, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by U146 View Post
It's still just as Southern as ever. You're only kidding yourself if you think the South is vanishing.
See Above........

Old 04-25-2016, 01:40 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,535,738 times
Quote:

Just because the people change doesn't make it less southern.

Just because Mexico has a drastically different culture from the US and Canada doesn't make it less North American.

Just because Russia has more land in Asia doesn't make the western reach less European.

Old 04-25-2016, 03:02 PM

Jesus....Virginia is becoming less culturally southern due to internal migration and the shifting cultural complexions that internal migration brings, see my post above and r-e-l-a-x.....upstate New York and Louisiana are both quintessentially North American.....so.....

And what about those 9 prior posts that had nothing to do with NC or VA, which is why I posted in the first place. People sometimes become enthralled with seeing their thoughts in print and just kind of free association ramble, leaving the original discussion a version of that party game when you sit in a circle and whisper a subject/phrase/description in your partners ear and what comes out in the end has little or nothing to do with the original utterance.

Virginia is becoming less CULTURALLY southern...I live here and I'm not from here and most of the people I come into contact with are not from here. We live and breath the south and love it but we are not CULTURALLY southern. Let it go like a bad smelling bone already.

Old 04-25-2016, 03:50 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,857,197 times
Quote:
Jesus....Virginia is becoming less culturally southern due to internal migration and the shifting cultural complexions that internal migration brings, see my post above and r-e-l-a-x.....upstate New York and Louisiana are both quintessentially North American.....so.....

And what about those 9 prior posts that had nothing to do with NC or VA, which is why I posted in the first place. People sometimes become enthralled with seeing their thoughts in print and just kind of free association ramble, leaving the original discussion a version of that party game when you sit in a circle and whisper a subject/phrase/description in your partners ear and what comes out in the end has little or nothing to do with the original utterance.

Virginia is becoming less CULTURALLY southern...I live here and I'm not from here and most of the people I come into contact with are not from here. We live and breath the south and love it but we are not CULTURALLY southern. Let it go like a bad smelling bone already.
Virginia is not becoming less culturally Southern outside of NOVA. I was there a number of years ago and the vast majority of Virginia is just as Southern as ever...culturally, linguistically, demographically, you name it. It's also not BosWash southern...except for NOVA Virginia lies outside of the BosWash corridor. The BosWash corridor ends in Washington, not Hampton Roads.

Old 04-25-2016, 07:17 PM

2,823 posts, read 4,488,321 times
VA has a clear urban/rural divide. It's not only NOVA that isn't very southern, go visit Virginia Beach suburbs and get back to me. There's a difference between visiting small towns along the NC border like Clarksville or South Hill that are undeniably southern, and visiting the major metros of VA that have many transplants. NC is similar.

Old 04-25-2016, 09:25 PM

5,819 posts, read 5,618,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
Having lived in Louisiana for nearly a decade, I can agree. The biggest difference I noticed is that there are a good number of natively rural upstaters who seem to pine for the urban life and join it even without having lived in a city.

For example, my sister grew up as country and poor as I did. But unlike myself, she hates rural life and has urbanized herself by choice. She speaks WAY TOO fast, she's hellbent that everything she says is correct, she's not at all fond of the south, and she loves NYC.

She's not anything like the rest of us but she has never lived in a large city.

I never noticed that happen to rural southerners. But then, I may just have not noticed.

Another difference is that even in small towns here fast food places are really really really quick. Like, whiplash fast. But I think its because business owners here tend to be stricter, and most of them are from India.
This is funny and true! One of the funniest things that struck me is that rural New Yorkers have a habit of believing that where they live is both larger and more important (in a general sense) than it actually is. Like, I've actually heard this sentence before, upon telling someone I wanted to move to Ithaca:

"City life is sooo overrated! Ithaca is too expensive."

I was like, "city life"? For real? And listen, I love Ithaca a TON, but I was raised between DC and Richmond. You can hardly find Ithaca on a map, much less in person, seeing as there is no interstate connection. People constantly referred to true small towns/cities as if we were living in some urban jungle..

And you're right, most of them have never lived in a big city. My family is all through Elmira-Corning. I have a cousin who used to live in Rochester who now lives in Atlanta; I have an auntbwho escaped to Jacksonville, Florida; and I have two cousins who moved out to Buffalo. Besides that, to my knowledge, NO ONE else has lived beyond Elmira-Corning-Ithaca...

Old 04-25-2016, 10:41 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,535,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
This is funny and true! One of the funniest things that struck me is that rural New Yorkers have a habit of believing that where they live is both larger and more important (in a general sense) than it actually is. Like, I've actually heard this sentence before, upon telling someone I wanted to move to Ithaca:

"City life is sooo overrated! Ithaca is too expensive."

I was like, "city life"? For real? And listen, I love Ithaca a TON, but I was raised between DC and Richmond. You can hardly find Ithaca on a map, much less in person, seeing as there is no interstate connection. People constantly referred to true small towns/cities as if we were living in some urban jungle..

And you're right, most of them have never lived in a big city. My family is all through Elmira-Corning. I have a cousin who used to live in Rochester who now lives in Atlanta; I have an auntbwho escaped to Jacksonville, Florida; and I have two cousins who moved out to Buffalo. Besides that, to my knowledge, NO ONE else has lived beyond Elmira-Corning-Ithaca...
Ithaca is a city to me, but that's because I'm from the honest to God boonies. haha
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.