U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2014, 04:10 PM

8 posts, read 15,736 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are from Michigan and moved to Charleston, South Carolina four years ago. He used to work for GM, and when they started offering buy-outs we bought in and moved South in search of a better economy. What we found were better job opportunities, but we traded it for hellish humidity. Not a day has gone by that we miss Michigan's beautiful alligator-free fresh water lakes, mild Summers, and cold Winters. But alas... the economy is so far under that it's impossible to return.

I have been trying to find a happy "medium" state with a climate somewhere between Michigan and South Carolina. I look to you-- fellow CityData'ers-- for your advice and opinions based on the data below:

Good
1.) Snow (between 20 to 30ish inches would be divine).
2.) Mild Summers (80 degree heat is okay, as long as it's not 100% humidity).
3.) Fresh water lakes and rivers, alligator-free please!
4.) Semi-decent drivers. I won't even describe driving around coastal South Carolina. Anywhere where everyone knows that the left lane is the fast lane is good for me.
5.) Mountain foothills or slightly hilly terrain, preferably not anywhere too flat.
6.) States with manufacturing jobs. It's a tough market right now, but some states have more competition than others.
7.) Well-defined seasons. South Carolina has been depressing to me in that aspect, since it's Summer 9 months, Spring 1 month, Summer 1 month, and then Fall for 1 month. If it doesn't just decide to be Summer all 12 freaking months.
8.) Eastern states. We'd love to move West someday (I was born in California), but it's not in the cards right now since most of our family is over on this side.

Bad
1.) Ridiculous humidity levels, combined with 90 degree heat.
2.) Salt water
3.) Wide open plains
4.) Overly religious areas
5.) 'Our state is Southern, yankees suck' states. As far as I'm concerned we're all the United States of America.
6.) FIRE ANTSSSSSSS-- what is the point of owning grass if you can't even touch it?!! :'(

States I've been looking into
1.) Kentucky
2.) Tennessee
3.) Maryland

What do you think?
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2014, 04:22 PM

11,894 posts, read 9,612,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truepacific View Post
My husband and I are from Michigan and moved to Charleston, South Carolina four years ago. He used to work for GM, and when they started offering buy-outs we bought in and moved South in search of a better economy. What we found were better job opportunities, but we traded it for hellish humidity. Not a day has gone by that we miss Michigan's beautiful alligator-free fresh water lakes, mild Summers, and cold Winters. But alas... the economy is so far under that it's impossible to return.

I have been trying to find a happy "medium" state with a climate somewhere between Michigan and South Carolina. I look to you-- fellow CityData'ers-- for your advice and opinions based on the data below:

Good
4.) Semi-decent drivers. I won't even describe driving around coastal South Carolina. Anywhere where everyone knows that the left lane is the fast lane is good for me.
5.) Mountain foothills or slightly hilly terrain, preferably not anywhere too flat.
6.) States with manufacturing jobs. It's a tough market right now, but some states have more competition than others.
7.) Well-defined seasons. South Carolina has been depressing to me in that aspect, since it's Summer 9 months, Spring 1 month, Summer 1 month, and then Fall for 1 month. If it doesn't just decide to be Summer all 12 freaking months.
8.) Eastern states. We'd love to move West someday (I was born in California), but it's not in the cards right now since most of our family is over on this side.

Bad
2.) Salt water
3.) Wide open plains
5.) 'Our state is Southern, yankees suck' states. As far as I'm concerned we're all the United States of America.
6.) FIRE ANTSSSSSSS-- what is the point of owning grass if you can't even touch it?!! :'(

1.) Kentucky
2.) Tennessee
3.) Maryland

What do you think?
My first thought was a New England state, like Maine or Vermont. Beautiful falls (probably the best in the country - especially in Vermont), mild summers, snowy and cold, little humidity. And New England is Eastern, which you said you'd prefer. There are plenty of mountains, lakes, and rivers (and no alligators ) and 4 distinct seasons in New England. I'm not sure about jobs in either ME or VT but there are other New England states which probably would have a better outlook (I probably don't need to point them out but Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut, New Hampshire). I chose northern New England states because the summers are more mild: Connecticut's summers are probably more similar to NY and NJ, which have pretty high humidity but Maine and VT are more northern where humidity is lower and they get more snow.

Old 01-02-2014, 04:44 PM

1,733 posts, read 3,588,039 times
I am also originally from Michigan and miss it a lot sometimes. I live in Florida now so I can relate to a certain extent although I have been down here for a little over 10 years and have adapted somewhat.

Tennessee is an absolutely beautiful state….I almost moved up to Nashville about 5 years ago. But you may find that the humidity is unbearable if the humidity in SC is too much for you. This doesn't seem intuitive, I know, but about 8 years ago I was joking with one of my TN friends who was down in West Palm Beach in August about the fact that she went in the wrong direction, etc. and how was she tolerating the heat. She explained she was actually there to beat the heat. Since then I have been in TN in the summer and I get it….there are no ocean breezes to break it up and it can really be oppressive. I don't know if Kentucky is the same….it's been a while since I have been there. My first thought when reading your thread was the Mid-Atlantic states, which would include Maryland. I would also consider Pennsylvania.

Old 01-02-2014, 05:04 PM

11,894 posts, read 9,612,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowGirl View Post
I am also originally from Michigan and miss it a lot sometimes. I live in Florida now so I can relate to a certain extent although I have been down here for a little over 10 years and have adapted somewhat.

Tennessee is an absolutely beautiful state….I almost moved up to Nashville about 5 years ago. But you may find that the humidity is unbearable if the humidity in SC is too much for you. This doesn't seem intuitive, I know, but about 8 years ago I was joking with one of my TN friends who was down in West Palm Beach in August about the fact that she went in the wrong direction, etc. and how was she tolerating the heat. She explained she was actually there to beat the heat. Since then I have been in TN in the summer and I get it….there are no ocean breezes to break it up and it can really be oppressive. I don't know if Kentucky is the same….it's been a while since I have been there. My first thought when reading your thread was the Mid-Atlantic states, which would include Maryland. I would also consider Pennsylvania.
Mid-Atlantic immediate coastal areas would fit the OP's criteria for little humidity, like the Jersey Shore, coastal Delaware and Maryland but the interior parts are humid and quite oppressive (nothing like the South, but it can get pretty bad around here), this includes NYC. As a tradeoff, though, the immediate coasts tend to get less snow than the interior areas. I think the Mid-Atlantic and Northeast in general are good options, but I think northern New England would be better - especially because the OP wants mountains and fresh water on top of the weather preferences.

Old 01-02-2014, 05:11 PM

52,610 posts, read 75,426,573 times
Perhaps a place like Morgantown/North Central or the Eastern Panhandle areas of WV would work. Morgantown has a low unemployment rate and is an hour south of Pittsburgh. With the EP of WV, you within commuting distance of DC and both areas have been growing.

Perhaps western VA in the area of Roanoke to about Blacksburg/Christianburg/Radford may work. Harrisonburg, Staunton and Winchester may work too. I believe that Winchester has some manufacturing jobs: HP Hood jobs - Indeed Mobile

Old 01-02-2014, 07:34 PM

5,467 posts, read 5,771,813 times
Have you ever considered Missouri as an option? It seems to perform well based on several of the factors you are considering. A bit far from the East Coast but otherwise really matches up. I live in Kansas City which is the coldest of the large cities but the winters would be considered mild compared to Michigan. Average snowfall is right under your "perfect" range at 19.9". St. Louis, Columbia, etc. have milder winters. Summers do get hot here but there are four distinct seasons pretty much everywhere in the state. Manufacturing jobs however would be limited to the KC and St. Louis areas as far as I know. The Ozark Mountains are phenomenal and attract transplants from all over; however, I would not think that is a prime location for manufacturing jobs. But it's a very doable trip from pretty much anywhere in the state for vacation/recreation purposes. There are conservative and religious areas in rural parts of MO but in most of the larger metros it is nonexistent and while MO is on the cusp of the South, it's still has a predominantly Midwestern vibe. I'm a recent transplant from the West Coast and while I miss California my expectations of Missouri have been very much exceeded. I think it's a state worth considering based on what you stated in your post.

Old 01-03-2014, 01:00 PM

1,422 posts, read 1,360,472 times
Virginia Beach/Norfolk area? Also, Cincinnati is nice and the people are similar to people in Michigan. If your husband works in Manufacturing, then North Carolina and Texas would be an option. The Outer Banks of North Carolina resemble Michigan's West Coast.

Old 01-03-2014, 02:43 PM

3,133 posts, read 1,953,529 times
Southern Ohio, West Virginia, Western Virginia or Pennsylvania. Cincinnati, Pittsburgh, Morgantown, Huntington, or Charleston, WV.

Although personally, I don't think you can beat Michigan!

Old 01-05-2014, 02:30 PM

6,295 posts, read 10,460,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truepacific View Post

Good

Bad
2.) Salt water
3.) Wide open plains

1.) Kentucky
2.) Tennessee
3.) Maryland

What do you think?
Kentucky & TN will be very southern, Md will be humid. Salt water is bad??? That lets out coastal states.
I think I'd look into New Hampshire, upstate New York, parts of PA are nice too.

Old 01-05-2014, 06:19 PM

9,480 posts, read 13,334,142 times
I Grew up in MI, lived in the deep south for years, finally had to get away from the heat and humidity. Wound up in northeast TN, great, love it.

if you look into TN focus on the Cumberland Plateau or Knoxville and points northeast. The temps can be 10 degrees cooler than the western part of the state, with a 'feels like' as much as 20 degrees cooler because of lower dewpoints in higher elevations.
Where I am we get some colder temps, a bit of snow, and milder summers than many parts of the southeast. No beaches, but several rivers, lakes, and waterfalls. No fire ants, knock wood!

Oh and regarding this-> 5.) 'Our state is Southern, yankees suck' states. As far as I'm concerned we're all the United States of America."
Don't think that attitude only comes from southern states. You are going encounter stupid folks wherever you go and you are just as likely to hear asinine comments about southeners from yankees, and to hear comments about flyover states, or jokes about midwest yokels or rubes, when people from the northeast hear you're from MI. It's stupid but lots of people all over the country do it.

Last edited by DubbleT; 01-05-2014 at 06:27 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or