Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2014, 08:07 AM

12 posts, read 9,483 times

Advertisements

Thanks everyone, this is some really great feedback - extremely helpful!

Please do keep the comments rolling, both pros and cons.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2014, 10:10 AM

2,076 posts, read 3,104,969 times
See. You are getting a taste of what makes Sarasota so great. The people in Sarasota are really NICE, common sense smart, friendly, and helpful.

Old 01-03-2014, 10:35 AM

27 posts, read 45,453 times
As a business person, I never subscribe to the notion of "if you build it, they will come".

That's folly, and dangerous. You must do the research as to what is "on the ground" now. That means looking at the currently available educated labor pool. That doesn't favor Sarasota-Manatee. It favors places such as Tampa/Brandon/South Hillsborough.

All demographics change over time. Sarasota-Manatee is no different, but the current levels of available, employable workers in those ancillary fields don't match up well with the levels in Hillsborough County (Tampa MSA). But again, things are changing.

I will say however that Manatee County (southern Manatee) is far more business friendly (in re manufacturing, large service organizations etc) than anything in Sarasota County and in The City of Sarasota. In fact, I would avoid Sarasota County in toto in favor of Manatee (e.g. along the I75 corridor-LWR north etc).

Manatee County is a good choice, but so are lots of other counties in Florida that have better access to transportation, distribution, networking etc.

And, so what if Miami is LATIN (as if that's a negative) - there are lots of places in Florida that are LATIN and not lily-white, which may come as a shock to CARDIFF who uttered such nonsense. The business community in and around Tampa and Miami and Orlando is also very much influenced by LATINs - so is the influence right here in SARASOTA probably much to the chagrin of sneaky white racists. The world has changed, and continues to evolve in the look and cultures of the workforce, client-base and community.

Old 01-03-2014, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blondeFatChick View Post

And, so what if Miami is LATIN (as if that's a negative)
Point well taken. I did not mean that to be negative, just descriptive, but I can see how it came across as a negative since it followed 3 negatives. I was more thinking of the wealth from South America that is migrating there and how it is a more international city. The comment was meant as an elaboration of the culture of each part of Florida with the west having a midwestern culture, the east having a northeastern culture, and Miami having a Latin culture.

Last edited by Cardiff by the Sea; 01-03-2014 at 10:56 AM..

Old 01-03-2014, 12:00 PM

4,614 posts, read 7,535,442 times
When looking into the Sarasota area, I would also suggest checking Bradenton/ Manatee, immediately north of Sarasota, as well.

Last year the residents of Manatee county approved a referendum to allow county commissioners to offer tax incentives to businesses that relocate to Manatee county.

Business tax incentives win voter approval in Manatee | Elections | Bradenton Herald

Old 01-03-2014, 12:09 PM

5,687 posts, read 7,181,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flco View Post
Thanks everyone, this is some really great feedback - extremely helpful!

Please do keep the comments rolling, both pros and cons.

Thanks!
Very interesting that you've written this, because Sarasota seems to have a bit of a tech/internet services corridor, although it's sort of developed quietly. Which means there are places you can probably raid for talent. Also some start-up, entrepreneurial type businesses. I found this out on my own when I was looking for work myself and was very pleasantly surprised. I think you would do well there, especially if you're willing to pay just a tad more than some of the other companies in the area.

Y'all come!

Old 01-03-2014, 12:32 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,481,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarc View Post
Very interesting that you've written this, because Sarasota seems to have a bit of a tech/internet services corridor, although it's sort of developed quietly. Which means there are places you can probably raid for talent. Also some start-up, entrepreneurial type businesses. I found this out on my own when I was looking for work myself and was very pleasantly surprised. I think you would do well there, especially if you're willing to pay just a tad more than some of the other companies in the area.

Y'all come!
Yes. There are quite a few smaller tech companies in the Sarasota/Bradenton area. Many newer ones over the past few years.

Jacksonville area also has a very healthy tech market...actually bigger than Sarasota.

Old 01-03-2014, 01:24 PM

12 posts, read 9,483 times
The debate is heating up a bit - @blondeFatChick, fair points. It would be interesting to hear from you where you think the top 1-2 locations in Florida might be considering our model and the talent pool we need if we set aside Sarasota for a moment? We are not against Miami at all, for example, although our instinct is that somewhere like Sarasota or possibly Tampa might be a better fit - we could be totally wrong here.

@kmarc, thanks for the perspective - can you elaborate a bit further? I know it's hard to pin down, but I'm trying to get a sense of the size of the growing tech community.. meaning, is it a single cluster of 2-3 companies and 50 people and growing, or several times larger than this? We need an interesting mixture of tech/developer talent and young sales and support talent - a growing tech vibe and culture would be ideal if it is just large enough, if that makes sense?

Thanks!

Old 01-03-2014, 02:01 PM

I have a serious question for you. Is it difficult to get the kind of talent you are looking for?

The news is filled with stories about college graduates with big student loans who are having difficulty finding jobs commensurate with their education.

If you were seeking experienced people in a specialty area, I would understand the big concern. But new graduates who are not tied to a location.... I just don't get it.

While 200 jobs is a lot, but I thought most skilled jobs were getting 200 applicants per job.

Internet business is pretty vague. What is it that you need specifically and why is the existing talent pool on the ground so important to you?

Also is transportation and distribution important to you?

Old 01-03-2014, 02:09 PM

1,002 posts, read 1,199,236 times
I find this post hard to believe.

A growing business in the Northeast finds it hard to find skilled IT people???? Why would anyone think there would be a larger pool of skilled IT people in Florida?

The whole thing sounds fishy to me. I'm not buying it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.