Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2014, 08:17 PM

27 posts, read 45,438 times

Advertisements

It's clear that some people don't understand startups ..of any sort. (or capital intensive expansions)

Having an AVAILABLE pool of workers already in place is Rule #1

you don't build a manufacturing or a service center without having a trained and available workforce from which to select.

An IT financial services firm is not a "watering hole".....every one NEEDs "water" to live. Sarasota Manatee is primarily a service economy ...and a retirement mecca

Intelligent owners FLOCK to where there is a clear, defined, existing and able workforce.....you never, ever ever "bet on the come".....that is sheer GAMBLING needlessly YOUR CAPITAL.

The success of the Company DEPENDS on its people.....find where the qualified people are FIRST or where they are likely to be.

The available labour pool in this segment of business is far more plentiful closer to places such as Tampa and Orlando, than in Sarasota - that's a demonstrated FACT..

How stupid indeed .. if I advised any client to just "build it" and we'll figure out the staffing LATER....

Insane I would be to suggest that to any potential new start up. My days on Wall Street taught me better than believe that crap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2014, 08:53 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,473,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blondeFatChick View Post
. Sarasota Manatee is primarily a service economy ...and a retirement mecca
IT type workers and customer support people are part of the service sector. There are plenty of available workers already on the ground in the area. I work in IT (for many years), in this area. So I know many IT workers in the Sarasota/Bradenton area. And know what types of IT jobs are available in general at any given time in the area. And where the workers live. You would be surprised...they are already here, now.

However, if the OP's business model is mostly fresh college graduates and entry level workers, then those workers aren't yet experienced or in the workforce. But those students are nearby and ready to apply shortly before graduation. As an added bonus, they can be interns while still in school. They're ready to start tomorrow. They're here, now.

Last edited by sware2cod; 01-05-2014 at 09:22 AM..

Old 01-05-2014, 03:23 PM

12 posts, read 9,478 times
@Sunshine Rules - Out of curiosity, what is the I-75 rush hour commute like from Southern Manatee county into Southern / Eastern Tampa should we opt for Tampa over Sarasota/Manatee, but have people living in Sarasota/Manatee?

Thanks!

Old 01-05-2014, 04:41 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,473,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flco View Post
- Out of curiosity, what is the I-75 rush hour commute like from Southern Manatee county into Southern / Eastern Tampa should we opt for Tampa over Sarasota/Manatee, but have people living in Sarasota/Manatee?

Thanks!
Very light traffic going toward Tampa in the AM and back from Tampa in the PM. Can go very high speeds. Depending on locations on both ends, commute can be from 45 minutes to 1.5 hours each way, going high speed when on I-75. Could be 45 minutes-1 hr from Manatee. Folks in Sarasota county, especially the central and southern half, might not want to commute all the way to Tampa. It can be 85 miles one way if you are coming from the North Port area (southern Sarasota county). North Port is one of the growth areas of the region and lots of families live there. And it's less expensive than some of the other areas of the region. So those folks from Sarasota county tend to work in Sarasota/Bradenton area and rarely commute all the way to Tampa.

If you go with Tampa you will probably get employees from Manatee county and maybe some higher paid employees that live in Northern Sarasota county, due to the distance of the commute, rather than the traffic.

Old 01-05-2014, 05:27 PM

4,612 posts, read 7,529,570 times
Quote:
@Sunshine Rules - Out of curiosity, what is the I-75 rush hour commute like from Southern Manatee county into Southern / Eastern Tampa should we opt for Tampa over Sarasota/Manatee, but have people living in Sarasota/Manatee?

Thanks!
Travel time is typically 45 - 60 minutes as long as the traffic keeps flowing. When we need to travel to SW Tampa we go across the Skyway Bridge and up I275, crossing either the Gandy or Howard Franklin bridges into Tampa. It's faster than taking I75 & I4.

Many of home buyers that select the Parrish - Ellenton area of Manatee county do so to have access to both Tampa and Sarasota.

Old 01-06-2014, 03:49 AM

215 posts, read 297,269 times
I would not rule out retirees and baby boomers switching career fields or returning to work after raising a family as a desired labor pool in Sarasota. There are so many jobs in this area that would be considered entry level, normally taken by teens or 20 somethings or even immigrants that are staffed here by the over-50 crowd. They are polite and well spoken, know basic grammar and spelling, know how to simply smile and greet people and say "please" and "thank you." They are not texting while having a conversation. Their high diploma was the equivalent of a college degree today.

Instead of debt from students loans or stress from having small children in the home, they can dedicate themselves to their career.

Old 01-06-2014, 04:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curly_Q View Post
I would not rule out retirees and baby boomers switching career fields or returning to work after raising a family as a desired labor pool in Sarasota. There are so many jobs in this area that would be considered entry level, normally taken by teens or 20 somethings or even immigrants that are staffed here by the over-50 crowd. They are polite and well spoken, know basic grammar and spelling, know how to simply smile and greet people and say "please" and "thank you." They are not texting while having a conversation. Their high diploma was the equivalent of a college degree today.

Instead of debt from students loans or stress from having small children in the home, they can dedicate themselves to their career.
Good point! Of course, traditionally, our sales and support roles have targeted recent grads - these positions are not inbound customer service problem solving roles, but are *mostly* outbound "close-a-sale" roles working with consumers that have requested information - the job is pretty fast paced and can be intense.. doesn't mean at all that anyone else cannot do it, but traditionally we have found the most successful folks at this job have tended to be the under 25 crowd...

Thanks!

Old 01-06-2014, 04:43 AM

215 posts, read 297,269 times
Quote:
Good point! Of course, traditionally, our sales and support roles have targeted recent grads - these positions are not inbound customer service problem solving roles, but are *mostly* outbound "close-a-sale" roles working with consumers that have requested information - the job is pretty fast paced and can be intense.. doesn't mean at all that anyone else cannot do it, but traditionally we have found the most successful folks at this job have tended to be the under 25 crowd...

Thanks!
People in Sarasota tend to be very laid back, which may be misinterpreted by someone from the Northeast especially as a lesser work ethic. Boston and Sarasota are different cultures and different lifestyles. Plus, if you worked 10 miles from Siesta Key beach and you are surrounded by palm trees, your perspective of working in an office changes, or at least May not be fast paced and intense.

Old 01-06-2014, 05:06 AM

Another question - how about downtown St. Pete vs. Tampa?

Is it a reasonable commute for both Tampa folks and Northern Sarasota / Lakewood Ranch folks?

Can you make the commute over the Skyline bridge, or are there major rush hour issues (or other issues) in relying on this bridge for commuting?

Thanks!

Old 01-06-2014, 05:25 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
Quote:
Another question - how about downtown St. Pete vs. Tampa?

Is it a reasonable commute for both Tampa folks and Northern Sarasota / Lakewood Ranch folks?

Can you make the commute over the Skyline bridge, or are there major rush hour issues (or other issues) in relying on this bridge for commuting?

Thanks!
That would be NOWHERE near as convenient as Manatee county or Tampa (as alternatives to Sarasota.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.