U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Old 01-03-2014, 06:58 PM
1 posts, read 626 times
Reputation: 10


I am an undergrad in Europe and I am considering transferring to a 4yr course that enables me to spend a year in the US. I am worried about the cost though. My university hasn't been particularly helpful in providing me with the necessary info about costs so I need you to help me work out the way they are calculating costs. For example, they say a year at the University of Mississippi would cost $10k, yet College Data says it would cost $6.7k (Please note: I only pay for room and board on my year abroad as far as I am aware. I know for 100% that I do not pay tuition fees).

Anyway, I would like to study at a university in western NY and my university allows me to go to:
Binghamton University
Hobart and William Smith Colleges
SUNY Buffalo
University of Rochester

However, they have not provided me with a cost estimate for these institutions. Do you know how they are getting their estimates. Another example is the University of Utah, which CD says costs $7.1k on, yet my university says would cost $12k.


Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2014, 07:30 PM
12,651 posts, read 10,497,278 times
Reputation: 17549
In my experience, room and board usually costs around $10,000 though I'm sure it definitely varies by school, and it only increases with time. It depends on the school, and housing availability, on campus vs off campus, stuff like that.

It's best you check out each school's website for the correct information on housing/tuition costs. It's good that you have a list of schools in mind but their websites will definitely give you the information you need. They'll even provide you with contact information so you can talk to a representative of the school over either phone or email if your college is giving you trouble with getting information.

For example, here's Binghamton's page for International Students:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2014, 09:05 PM
2,563 posts, read 2,789,776 times
Reputation: 3479
Maybe things have changed, but years ago, in order to even get a student visa to study in United States, you had to show sufficient funds to remain in the country without working during the time you would be going to school. In other words, school would certify to the government that your funds were sufficient to survive. Each school probably gas an office that deals with international students. They would have a good idea of the costs in the area of the school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top