Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2014, 03:26 PM

32 posts, read 37,163 times

Advertisements

I am looking to move outside of Texas the summer of 2015 after my last child finishes high school. I will be going solo. I have lived in many states and experienced different types of weather from extreme hot to extreme cold temperatures. Because I am looking to make my final move, I am seeking advice on what places would be ideal as far as temperature all year long, sunny most of the year, beautiful scenic mountains, affordable rent, job opportunities, and lots of outdoor activities.

I still have a ways to go before retiring but hope the place I can find makes it ideal for a place to live once I do retire.

I have lived in Denver, southern California, several places in Florida and many states in the Midwest. I am looking for such a place that offers a view of mountains, some greenery, etc. Hawaii would be my first choice but that is too expensive so is California. Washington I hear is beautiful but too gloomy and rains often.

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2014, 03:40 PM

11,855 posts, read 26,876,979 times
1. There are no mountains anywhere close to Dallas. I would not call this part of Texas "scenic" at all.
2. It gets really, really hot here in the summer. As in normally over 90 degrees daily from June through early September. It does not cool off much at night; temps often stay above 80 degrees at night.
3. Yes, our unemployment rate is lower than most of the USA, but it is not 0%. There are many people looking for work here, and it is not advisable to move here without a job.

Old 01-04-2014, 03:43 PM

440 posts, read 867,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
1. There are no mountains anywhere close to Dallas. I would not call this part of Texas "scenic" at all.
2. It gets really, really hot here in the summer. As in normally over 90 degrees daily from June through early September. It does not cool off much at night; temps often stay above 80 degrees at night.
3. Yes, our unemployment rate is lower than most of the USA, but it is not 0%. There are many people looking for work here, and it is not advisable to move here without a job.
I think she said she was moving OUT of Texas...

Old 01-04-2014, 04:51 PM

11,855 posts, read 26,876,979 times
Ok. Then asking for advice on the Texas forum is pretty useless. Most of us who live here have no knowledge of how to help her...

Old 01-04-2014, 05:02 PM

44 posts, read 78,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kannec View Post
I am looking to move outside of Texas the summer of 2015 after my last child finishes high school. I will be going solo. I have lived in many states and experienced different types of weather from extreme hot to extreme cold temperatures. Because I am looking to make my final move, I am seeking advice on what places would be ideal as far as temperature all year long, sunny most of the year, beautiful scenic mountains, affordable rent, job opportunities, and lots of outdoor activities.

I still have a ways to go before retiring but hope the place I can find makes it ideal for a place to live once I do retire.

I have lived in Denver, southern California, several places in Florida and many states in the Midwest. I am looking for such a place that offers a view of mountains, some greenery, etc. Hawaii would be my first choice but that is too expensive so is California. Washington I hear is beautiful but too gloomy and rains often.

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thank you.
I think you are asking the wrong crowd. But having lived in Utah, I would suggest Salt Lake City. Cheap, pretty and not THAAAAT cold (like Chicago anyway).

Old 01-04-2014, 05:09 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,298,950 times
Agree this should not be in the Dallaa forum....however, some ideas are Arkansas, North Carolina / Ashville area, and Tennessee/ Chattanooga - Knoxville area for more affordable places that also have mountains & outdoor activities in a more moderate climate. Not sure about the job opportunities / economy in those areas so try posting on their forums.

Old 01-05-2014, 09:50 AM

93,326 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Western Virginia could work.

Old 01-05-2014, 12:11 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,461,849 times
Salt Lake City would fit
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.