U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2007, 08:56 PM

8 posts, read 7,368 times

Advertisements

I know a lot of people don't consider Virginia the South anymore because we have lot of northern transplants and we're near D.C. but we were the first Southern state. We will take Virginia back !
From Wikipedia:

Historically Virginia was the largest and wealthiest colony and state and the birthplace of Southern and American culture.A large proportion (about half) of Virginia's population was made up of enslaved Africans who worked its tobacco, cotton, and hemp plantations. Initially, these slaves were imported from west central Africa, primarily Angola. During the eighteenth century, however, about half of them were derived from various ethnicities located in the Niger Delta region of modern day Nigeria.[17] They contributed strongly to the development of Southern foodways, music, vernacular architecture, and religion. With continued immigration to Virginia of other European groups and the 19th century sales of tens of thousands of enslaved African Americans from Virginia to the Deep South, by 1860 enslaved African Americans comprised only 31% of the state's population of 1.6 million.[18]

Old 11-27-2007, 09:07 PM

2,248 posts, read 6,205,020 times
This is a non-issue as far as I'm concerned. Virginia was, is, and always will be a Southern state.

Old 11-27-2007, 09:09 PM

8 posts, read 7,368 times
I agree, but its certainly changed. Its now considered "Mid-Atlantic" according to the dolts on The Weather Channel.

Old 11-27-2007, 09:16 PM

2,223 posts, read 4,133,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts View Post
This is a non-issue as far as I'm concerned. Virginia was, is, and always will be a Southern state.
Everything away from D.C. in Virginia seemed Southern to me

Old 11-27-2007, 10:42 PM

4,953 posts, read 8,535,344 times
Once you get outside of northern VA, Charlottesville, and the Hampton Roads area, the rest of the state becomes Mississippi North. Backwater, uneducated hillbillies who yearn for the day when the south and all of the dead confederates soldiers will rise from the dead and take there rightful place. But seriously, some parts of VA are cool but the state tries to hard to keep in line with its racist past and confederate history. You lost - It's time to let it go.

Old 11-27-2007, 10:52 PM

455 posts, read 1,879,212 times
I've never considered Virginia anything but Southern.

Old 11-27-2007, 11:08 PM
NCN

21,135 posts, read 21,875,914 times
I hope it is Southern. My two southern belles live there. My daughter and my grand daughter. They live with my southern gentleman son-in-law.

Old 11-28-2007, 04:50 AM

1,573 posts, read 5,649,113 times
The cultural divide between Northern Virginia (DC metro and exurbs) and the rest of Virginia reminds me of the cultural divide between Atlanta and the rest of Georgia. A long-running joke about GA's biggest city..."Atlanta...it's only 50 miles from Georgia!!!" I definitely consider Virginia to be a southern state at its heart. You just need to get out of Northern VA to realize it.

Old 11-28-2007, 05:09 AM

6,749 posts, read 19,947,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichmondRebel View Post
I know a lot of people don't consider Virginia the South anymore because we have lot of northern transplants and we're near D.C. but we were the first Southern state. We will take Virginia back !
From Wikipedia:

Historically Virginia was the largest and wealthiest colony and state and the birthplace of Southern and American culture.A large proportion (about half) of Virginia's population was made up of enslaved Africans who worked its tobacco, cotton, and hemp plantations. Initially, these slaves were imported from west central Africa, primarily Angola. During the eighteenth century, however, about half of them were derived from various ethnicities located in the Niger Delta region of modern day Nigeria.[17] They contributed strongly to the development of Southern foodways, music, vernacular architecture, and religion. With continued immigration to Virginia of other European groups and the 19th century sales of tens of thousands of enslaved African Americans from Virginia to the Deep South, by 1860 enslaved African Americans comprised only 31% of the state's population of 1.6 million.[18]
Vasinger? Is that you?

Old 11-28-2007, 07:01 AM

15,400 posts, read 25,817,519 times
Hey, Ohio was once considered the western frontier. Things change as a nation grows...

But if you want to consider yourself a southerner, feel free. I'm also a Virginian and IMO I live in the Mid-Atlantic. That's what they teach in the schools, that's how most govt. agencies see us, that's how climatologists and gardening experts classify us.

But to each his own. IMO it's as silly as debating if we live in "America" or in the "United States."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.