U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2014, 09:13 AM

9,783 posts, read 15,328,540 times

Advertisements

* of the same group

Yes, I guess it's predominantly black and white culture (aside from a few areas), and I'm mostly referring to foreign born minorities and to a lesser extent Hispanics from outside the US. For instance, would you say the Chinese in San Fran seem different to the Chinese in say a city like Indianapolis? I guess I mean more Chinese Americans rather than recent immigrants from abroad. Since the community there is older has it more absorbed into American culture, like say the Irish in Boston or Germans in the Midwest, or has it remained rather distinct, replenished by a supply of new immigrants? It seems most people who grow up in the states are pretty much American culturally, but I'm wondering if they lose more of their culture if they live in a place without a lot of their people. It might seem like the answer is an obvious 'yes' but I'm not sure this is always the case. The Northeast has a lot of Italians but how many of the young ones can speak Italian?

Or say Mexicans who go to LA...it seems a lot of them barely even speak English, but the ones who've been there awhile are probably different, yet they might still retain more of a connection than if they lived in say Vermont.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2014, 11:20 AM

1,580 posts, read 4,125,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
* of the same group

Yes, I guess it's predominantly black and white culture (aside from a few areas), and I'm mostly referring to foreign born minorities and to a lesser extent Hispanics from outside the US. For instance, would you say the Chinese in San Fran seem different to the Chinese in say a city like Indianapolis? I guess I mean more Chinese Americans rather than recent immigrants from abroad.
As an Asian-American, I'd say more integrated in the case of California/ Seattle. Because the Asian communities are well-established in these areas- from SF Bay Area, Sacramento, LA, Orange County, Seattle- they have been in the US multi-generational now. Of course there are very new immigrants here, but the overall communities are well-integrated, and are the base of the Asian-American subculture. Asian-Americans in the west coast big cities are well-assimilated in overall US culture yet are not 'white-washed' if you know what I mean, because our own racial communities are well-established. Nonetheless, it is also a big city vs smaller city thing too, as I've met Asians from smaller city Oregon who have different mindset altogether.

For various reasons, the Asian communities in NYC or East Coast in general strike me as being less integrated and more FOBish. In the sense that large proportion of Asians (-Americans) there fit into those predictable stereotypes, and more and more are avoiding west coast and settling first on the east coast. This may be my own perception, but the Asians on the east coast look plainer and more nerdy (more like Asians you see in Asia) than the more Americanized-looking Asians on the west coast.

Houston is well-integrated in the sense that there are many successful Asian-Americans there, but not as established in terms of as many mutli-generational families than on the west coast. And it's mainly Vietnamese circles there, nonetheless they tend to do well there.

Cant speak for Indianapolis, but having spoken to others who are from smaller cities where it's unexpected to see Asians, it is rare for American-born Asians to stay in these areas. So when I see random Asians in places like Denver, Phoenix, Miami, Cleveland...maybe they are exchange students or...?

PS. I must add another observation. When you go to airports or hotels or malls in Atlanta, Denver, Chicago, NYC even, you will see Chinese janitors or hotel housekeepers (among other racial groups) . There is no judgmental implications, but interestingly you are not as likely to see this in California (where instead it will be basically only Hispanics in these jobs)

Last edited by f1000; 01-12-2014 at 11:35 AM..

Old 01-12-2014, 11:37 AM

52,622 posts, read 75,426,573 times
There are second and even some 3rd and 4th generation Asians on the East Coast. Actually, my grandmother worked for a Chinese store owner in the Mississippi Delta in the 50's. Many came by way of Cuba in the late 19th century to MS. So, other parts of the country have had Asians for a long time, but not to the extent of places on the West Coast.

Old 01-13-2014, 09:53 PM

127 posts, read 225,972 times
Less integrated.

True integration will happen to an Asian or Latino person growing up in areas where people of their own race are rare, that way they have to assimilate quickly or be outcasts to the entire society. Take a person growing up in an area with many of their background, they will usually settle into those of their own backgrounds and never truly socialize with other races and cultures as much.

Old 01-28-2014, 03:09 AM

2,242 posts, read 2,533,672 times
I guess it depends. Keep in mind that ppl can integrate and assimilate and mesh with the wider mainstream culture but can embrace the culture of their ancestral roots when among that group or with family.

Most ppl in the USA can assimilate and associate with one another upholding the tenets and core aspects of U.S. Americana.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or