U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2014, 11:44 AM

183 posts, read 237,405 times

Advertisements

I've spent some time making this based off of paying a lot of attention to what most people on here say also because of the vast amount of pointless threads that keep being made asking the same question just keep it all in this thread.

(From left to right)
The first is the south
the second is the southwest
third is the northeast
Fourth is the Midwest
fifth is the west

I made these based on from what of what most people on here say.
Attached Thumbnails
Regional borders-paperartist_2014-01-12_13-31-17.jpeg   Regional borders-paperartist_2014-01-12_13-25-57.jpeg   Regional borders-paperartist_2014-01-12_13-30-00.jpeg   Regional borders-paperartist_2014-01-12_13-20-37.jpeg   Regional borders-paperartist_2014-01-12_13-28-30.jpeg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2014, 11:47 AM

183 posts, read 237,405 times
Dangit, I put this in the wrong place. Could the mods move this to general instead of city v city?

Old 01-12-2014, 12:17 PM

3,178 posts, read 3,846,878 times
These "regions" really have very little meaning. What connection does Cleveland have to North Dakota or Nebraska? Even Minneapolis is a stretch. I think this map is much more descriptive.
http://www.tufts.edu/alumni/magazine...-map-large.jpg
(http://www.tufts.edu/alumni/magazine...p-in-arms.html)

Last edited by JMT; 01-12-2014 at 07:35 PM..

Old 01-12-2014, 12:35 PM

13,403 posts, read 21,192,209 times
^^^I have problem with the map above.

There is nothing "Greater Appalachia about Dallas, Oklahoma City, Austin, or the Texas Panhandle.

Dallas, OKC and the Texas Panhandle are part of the Great Plains or "Midlands" as its referred to on this map. Both Dallas and OKC serve as transitions regions between the South and the Great Plains. Western Kansas also belongs here.

Austin is so purely Texas, its hard to see it as anything else.

Old 01-12-2014, 07:06 PM

9,381 posts, read 9,536,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleverfield View Post
These "regions" really have very little meaning. What connection does Cleveland have to North Dakota or Nebraska? Even Minneapolis is a stretch. I think this map is much more descriptive.
(Tufts Magazine / fall 2013)
LOL, Boston and Minneapolis are in the same region, but Washington DC. and Baltimore are split?
Anyhow, if the "tidewater" exists, so does New England, which would include Nova Scotia (would that make it New United Kingdom?)

Old 01-12-2014, 09:12 PM

1,110 posts, read 908,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleverfield View Post
http://www.tufts.edu/alumni/magazine...-map-large.jpg
(Tufts Magazine / fall 2013)
Problems I see with this map:
  • Why is Las Vegas separated from Phoenix and LA?
  • Boston is in the same region as Minneapolis, but in a different region from Philly
  • The Greater Appalachia region is just weird
  • It's weird that Orlando and Tampa are in the same region as Pensacola, but not in the same region as Miami .

There are other mistakes, these just stuck out to me.

Old 01-12-2014, 09:39 PM

3,178 posts, read 3,846,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlando-calrissian View Post
Problems I see with this map:
  • Why is Las Vegas separated from Phoenix and LA?
  • Boston is in the same region as Minneapolis, but in a different region from Philly
  • The Greater Appalachia region is just weird
  • It's weird that Orlando and Tampa are in the same region as Pensacola, but not in the same region as Miami .

There are other mistakes, these just stuck out to me.
According to the source The map is based on "the distribution of linguistic dialects, the spread of cultural artifacts, the prevalence of different religious denominations, and the county-by-county breakdown of voting in virtually every hotly contested presidential race in our history" Tufts Magazine / fall 2013

Old 01-12-2014, 10:44 PM

6,517 posts, read 7,459,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
^^^I have problem with the map above.

There is nothing "Greater Appalachia about Dallas, Oklahoma City, Austin, or the Texas Panhandle.

Dallas, OKC and the Texas Panhandle are part of the Great Plains or "Midlands" as its referred to on this map. Both Dallas and OKC serve as transitions regions between the South and the Great Plains. Western Kansas also belongs here.

Austin is so purely Texas, its hard to see it as anything else.

I live in southern Appalachia, and I wholeheartedly agree with you. Appalachia ends here in Tennessee after you pass the Cumberland plateau. Nashville is not Appalachia so Dallas definitely is not. Also "midlands" is a general term to label everything that did not fit neatly into any of their other groups. "Yankeedom" does not stretch to North Dakota either, the upper Midwest states which begin around Michigan are distinctly different from their yankee northeast neighbors. El Norte in Colorado???? um NO! Colorado is part of the West, not anything else. I think the US census does a great job of labeling our nations regions.

Old 01-13-2014, 12:01 PM

13,219 posts, read 17,954,379 times
The northern third of West Virginia is not Southern.

Old 01-13-2014, 12:36 PM

9,967 posts, read 14,612,674 times
I've seen that American Nations map before and I still can't make sense of a "Midlands" region that assumes Philadelphia has anything in common with parts of Kansas and the eastern portion of the Dakotas and the junction of the Oklahoma Panhandle with Texas, Colorado, and New Mexico. And also, while it probably seems interesting to make the connection between Southern Louisiana and Quebec due to their French heritage--Southern Louisiana still has way more of a connection and things in common with the South than it does Quebec...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.