U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2014, 05:19 PM

317 posts, read 288,712 times

Advertisements

I know your average person doesn't exactly visit the Bos-Wash region in the winter but say that I wanted to next winter. If I rent car, and wanted to cover all the major cities including the major Canadian cities Montreal and Toronto close by and maybe even a quick to Upstate NY and New England, would be too much trouble because of the weather? Would be easier to take a train? I know the Bos-Wash region has Acela but is there something fast that take you to Montreal and Toronto? What is the fastest train that takes there then?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2014, 05:26 PM

11,149 posts, read 14,197,972 times
I'm not sure how you would accomplish visiting all those cities solely by train. You should use a car.

Anyway, on most days, no it's not a big deal unless you know there will be a snow storm coming. For example, right now there is no snow on the ground here in southern CT. I'm not sure how much farther up north I'd have to go until I see snow though.

Old 01-19-2014, 07:53 PM

6,497 posts, read 16,217,176 times
There may be 3-4 days per year when winter weather prohibits safe travel between the cities in the Northeast. If one of those days happens to be while you're visiting, then you'll just have to keep your plans flexible and delay your move to the next city by a day or so.

Washington, Baltimore, Philadelphia, New York, Providence and Boston are easy to travel between by rail. The Acela is the fastest service, but Northeast Regional service is pretty good too (and cheaper). If you're on a very tight budget, you could take Megabus, Bolt Bus, or other discount bus services between the Northeast cities, but travel time can vary due to city traffic.

To get to Montreal or Toronto by train is tougher. The trip is pretty long, with a very long stop at the border crossing. You'd be better off driving, taking a bus, or even taking a short flight. From NYC to Montreal, for example, it's a 7 hour drive, an 8 hr bus ride, or an 11 hr train ride. Lots of tourists don't mind the extra time because it saves them the stress and expense of driving, but you'll have to decide which you prefer.

Old 01-19-2014, 08:31 PM

1,775 posts, read 2,529,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post

To get to Montreal or Toronto by train is tougher. The trip is pretty long, with a very long stop at the border crossing. You'd be better off driving, taking a bus, or even taking a short flight.
I'm not sure if I agree. I've never had a long wait at the border at all. Plus there are so many beautiful places to see you your way to Montreal or Toronto that I like the flexibility a car gives your. The Finger Lakes and the 1000 Islands are amazing in any season.

Though once you go inland the snow is more of a concern.

Old 01-19-2014, 08:50 PM

6,497 posts, read 16,217,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn.Davenport View Post
I'm not sure if I agree. I've never had a long wait at the border at all. Plus there are so many beautiful places to see you your way to Montreal or Toronto that I like the flexibility a car gives your. The Finger Lakes and the 1000 Islands are amazing in any season.

Though once you go inland the snow is more of a concern.
You're talking about driving, though, right? I said by train there's a tremendous delay at the border. Amtrak builds a couple of hours into their schedule to account for inspection/document checks at the border.

Old 01-19-2014, 09:40 PM

1,775 posts, read 2,529,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
You're talking about driving, though, right? I said by train there's a tremendous delay at the border. Amtrak builds a couple of hours into their schedule to account for inspection/document checks at the border.
Oh, my bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or