Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2014, 04:45 PM

3,866 posts, read 5,290,685 times

Advertisements

Another vote for Nashville. Really cool town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2014, 04:56 PM

16,071 posts, read 21,144,062 times
Nashville and Atlanta are not that far apart. Quite feasible to do both if you have at least a week-10 days.

Old 01-22-2014, 05:36 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,446,688 times
Is your choice only one out of the list? If that were the case, I would say Atlanta for the variety. But if it can be stretched to two, I agree with the above poster and advise Atlanta and Nashville. You would have plenty to do and could cover both easily.

Old 01-22-2014, 06:40 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,143,960 times
Personally, I'd go with either Nashville or Phoenix. They're both going to give you a different vibe and culture than you're accustomed to, in Britain. Phoenix being the most different, if you can get out of the city and drive around the area a bit, it's fabulous. But ... if you're restricted to staying within the city you pick, I'd go with Nashville.

Old 01-22-2014, 07:17 PM

1,574 posts, read 5,117,182 times
Go to Atlanta. You'll experience Southern culture (many here would say that's arguable, but obviously Atlanta is still in the South) with its great food, outgoing nature of people, laidback and informal atmosphere, strong African-American culture. The Southern cities are so different from UK. There's attractions in Buckhead, Midtown and it's relatively easy to get around by public transit. Mild weather, affordable for a larger city. Safe for the most part in the main areas.

Old 01-22-2014, 07:40 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
I like Deezus' suggestion. The Flagstaff/Sedona/Grand Canyon area is beautiful.

Old 01-22-2014, 09:59 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,563,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel03 View Post
I would put them in this order, best fit to worst:

Atlanta
Nashville
Buffalo
Phoenix
Charlotte
Tampa
Jacksonville

What time of year are you going to visit? If you're here in the summer, every city except Phoenix and maaayyybe Buffalo will be very humid. Florida will be humid all year round.

Atlanta has the most to do - lots of culture and history. You'll have a good time exploring. As far as crime... it's a big city, but you're not in any real, present danger unless you're monumentally unlucky or do something really dumb.
Really? I guess you have never been to "Florida" since as I write this we are under a "freeze" Warning with temps tonight being 32..F / O..degrees C!

Old 01-22-2014, 10:16 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,563,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
Of that list? I'd either go to Nashville(you'd get a sense of the country music side of American culture) or go to Phoenix, rent a car and go to Flagstaff and go see the Grand Canyon and Red Rocks around Sedona and southwestern landscapes.

I wouldn't plan a trip to just one of those cities and just stay in the city alone. None of those places are really interesting enough alone for those. Tampa or Jacksonville you can at least go to the beach, but the cities themselves aren't that special.

Atlanta is the best overall city for just stuff in the city, but don't stay downtown(it's dead at night), Midtown is better. If I went to Atlanta, I'd take a trip up to the mountains or Savannah as well (Savannah is a really interesting place).
I tend to agree with your list for the most part!

Nashville is unique
Phoenix for the reasons you mentioned ( Grand Canyon / Sedona) for natural beauty
Jacksonville? ( Only if you want to see "wasteland surburbia" In full American fashion with nothing of interest!
Ditto for Tampa but not as bad! (Go to Miami instead!) or the Florida Keys & Key West.
Atlanta for it's "Civil Rights" history
Buffalo for the "Niagara Falls"
Charlotte? What is there exactly to see there except a city with a bunch of a couple of bank skyscrapers? ( go to the outer banks of North Carolina instead!

packaged "tours" suck! I'm surprised NYC, Chicago or LA isn't on that list!

Old 01-22-2014, 10:34 PM

2,226 posts, read 3,856,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by British Holidaymakers View Post
Hi,

My DH and I are looking into visiting the US. For a variety of reasons we are consigned to these locations:

Phoenix
Jacksonville
Buffalo
Nashville
Tampa
Atlanta
Charlotte

Our holiday criteria is:
- Nice city. Little crime
- No humid heat
- Lots to do
- Typical Americana feel
- Good culture/food
- Good experience for a Brit

Any suggestions from THAT LIST? No alternate suggestions

Thanks
I take it from the "no humid heat" part that you're planning on going in the summer? If you're planning on going in the winter, I would not recommend Buffalo (as fine a city as it is).

I'm not sure what a typical Americana feel necessarily is, but I'm kind of intrigued by the idea of going to Nashville, soaking in the country music scene (though I hate country music) and eating a lot of barbecue (it's not quite Memphis-good, but it's usually ranked in the top 10).

Tampa would be a place to check out if this is a winter trip, but not for Americana. Similarly, Phoenix isn't good for Americana, nor recommended in the summer (it's a dry heat, but hot). However, both those cities have stuff to offer if you're interested in a broader view of what it means to be American.

Chances are, you're not going to have to worry about crime in any of these cities if you're a tourist. I'm not sure what a good experience for a Brit would be. I know some who wouldn't dare set foot in the South and others who soaked it up and thought it was a great experience. I say go to Nashville.

Old 01-23-2014, 02:23 AM

1,704 posts, read 3,443,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
Really? I guess you have never been to "Florida" since as I write this we are under a "freeze" Warning with temps tonight being 32..F / O..degrees C!
The current weather in Miami is 48F with 71% humidity. There will always be some exceptions, but Florida tends to have above-average relative humidity levels all year. I have been to Florida; I've even been there in the winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.