Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2014, 12:50 PM

15,083 posts, read 20,392,732 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by st3350 View Post

Does this exist? help!
How about the suburbs of LA?

[millions of other people can't be wrong]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2014, 12:55 PM

10,097 posts, read 9,928,701 times
The solution is easy. If you can afford CA then move to a suburb way out of LA. The surrounding areas around LA are even better than the city in my opinion; from Burbank to Pasadena all the way down to the OC and back the other way to Santa Barbara.

If you want out of CA go to Austin, TX, hands down the only the other place I'd want to be in outside of CA.

Old 01-24-2014, 01:51 PM

23 posts, read 29,759 times
Ok, let me try to get the discussion back on track...I don't hate LA, and I wasn't one that came out here without a plan.
I actually really like LA, my only complaint is that the people can be superficial and relationships are mostly temporary.
I want to set roots somewhere now, LA has grown my career and am ready to settle down.
I'm looking for an area that welcomes newcomers and is warm and friendly. LA has a lot of pros, but friendly isn't one of them.
I can afford LA COL, but not to enough to own a home. I realize that I could probably do that in LA suburbs but there's a downfall of commute time doubling or tripling. That's why I have scratched that idea.
Again, back to the same point that I can't lay roots here.

I came out for a job, it's a great job, I just wanted some advice as to where other LA people have traveled and thought they'd like to live if they did not live in LA. Or places they are familiar with that could offer what I'm looking for.
All suggestions so far have been really great, thanks everyone for your input.

Old 01-24-2014, 01:58 PM

1,319 posts, read 2,184,529 times
I have a couple of friends that moved to Nashville and love it.

Old 01-24-2014, 03:03 PM

1,424 posts, read 2,470,865 times
I say good starting points are:

with mild climates + data jobs:
Seattle
Portland
San Diego (though homes are not that much cheaper there)
Denver (except winter - but far from how it would be, in say, Minnesota)
Bonus: Portland, SD and Denver all have great microbrew cultures , and it's not too difficult making friends over beers x)

warm personalities + data jobs (+humidity):
Austin
Atlanta
Raleigh, N.C.

warm personalities + mild climate: Key West, Florida

I can't think of a city that has nice people + mild climate + data jobs. lol. I guess Portland is as close as it gets. Though I did find the people in Denver quite friendly and open

Of all those I've mentioned, personally, I would only consider living in the West Coast and Denver/Boulder, CO.

Old 01-24-2014, 05:27 PM

10,097 posts, read 9,928,701 times
Quote:
Ok, let me try to get the discussion back on track...I don't hate LA, and I wasn't one that came out here without a plan.
I actually really like LA, my only complaint is that the people can be superficial and relationships are mostly temporary.
I want to set roots somewhere now, LA has grown my career and am ready to settle down.
I'm looking for an area that welcomes newcomers and is warm and friendly. LA has a lot of pros, but friendly isn't one of them.
I can afford LA COL, but not to enough to own a home. I realize that I could probably do that in LA suburbs but there's a downfall of commute time doubling or tripling. That's why I have scratched that idea.

I came out for a job, it's a great job, I just wanted some advice as to where other LA people have traveled and thought they'd like to live if they did not live in LA. Or places they are familiar with that could offer what I'm looking for.
All suggestions so far have been really great, thanks everyone for your input.
I agree that LA can be a bummer as far as people. That aspect has led me to want to leave too, so I know how you feel. It's such a perfect city with the most amazing vibrant atmosphere and creative culture the nation has to offer. Not even NYC can touch it. With that, I say LA is by far the best city in the nation.

But yes, the downside is that it brings with it A LOT of disingenuous, dishonest, and insular people. In cities like NYC and DC I can kind of see people behaving that way because many are pedigreed and have loads of experience so their cockiness stems from accomplishments, but in LA, the average midwestern transplants with no degree, no major job, no nothing can storm in here and strut like he owns the place in any of the bars in Hollywood and the West Side. I've seen it, I know what you mean.

But perhaps, like many transplants with LA dreams, you stuck around WAY too long in the nice areas of the city and never ventured into the many other less pretentious areas? So like every single article written by a transplant out there online, you only perceive West LA, Sherman Oaks or whatever "nice" area as "LA".

I have met some of the friendliest most genuine people out in the Valley, Pasadena and even in Central and DTLA. And granted yes, most of them were not trying to pursue careers in the industry but were/are civil servants for the city, architects, professors, college kids, volunteers, artists and designers. They had no ulterior motives and were hungry to meet genuine people, so we clicked. A lot were also native Californians and I do have to say the native Californian (that was not born with a silver spoon) is probably the most laid back, down to Earth person in the country. I mean just chilled with no pretensions of making you seem inferior, in fact they strive out of their way to make sure everyone feels equal.

So that is why I was encouraging you to seek out the greater LA area instead. Other than that I agree that Denver might be a good fit, Austin, Atlanta and even to some extent inner loop Houston.

Old 01-24-2014, 10:13 PM

4,453 posts, read 6,761,893 times
Quote:
I actually really like LA
I'm looking for an area that welcomes newcomers and is warm and friendly.
LA has a lot of pros,

When you say LA, are you living in DTLA or another part? LA is big, flat, and diverse. Are there certain area that you liked, places that you frequent things you want to find at the new location. If you really like the area of Western and Venice and considered that LA, the suggestion might be totally different as if you said you like places like Santa Monica Pier.

To compare the housing COL too, what area do you want to buy that you can't due to the other effect on the quality of life. I'm sure you could buy in brentwood, but you might not want to change you diet to strictly Top Ramen. Or you can't afford to own in Santa Monica because you don't want to spend $800,000. What type of place do you want to lay your roots down, high density condo, small single family lots, big acreage with a farm? To say you just want a place like LA with it's weather and a job is too general in my opinion since you could probably get a job anywhere.

Old 01-24-2014, 10:26 PM

23 posts, read 29,759 times
That's absolutely not true- I'm from Toledo, Ohio. There are zero jobs there. I didn't say i wanted a place just like LA. If you read my original post, I'm looking for a diverse town with job oppurtunities, friendly people and am trying to avoid harsh winter weather. I'm trying to find a place that's a mixture of midwestern values and personalities but also has it's own culture and opportunity like LA.

Old 01-24-2014, 10:31 PM

3,939 posts, read 6,675,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrmsd View Post
I was also going to suggest pdx, for sure, with the grey skies/rain caveat. and also maybe the data job caveat-not sure about the current pdx job market, always rumored to be saturated and low paying....Anyway, good call!

Also, Denver is practically the mid west, culture wise. [I lived in boulder area for a few years-it has a lot of midwestern influence; half the state is plains and it borders kansas. Many folks living in denver and boulder/front range, came from these parts of the state and identify with the midwest. Fort Collins [college town an hour from denver, 30 min. from Boulder] feels like a midwest college town, but with the twist of great biking and microbrew culture, plus access to mountains and skiing. Winters along the front range are fairly mild, actually. IN the mountains is a different story. CO, in my view, is a nice combo of down to earth, pragmatic (midwest) with western innovation/open to the new mindset (west).
I think Denver is a great suggestion. While not as large as LA, Denver still has a lot of big city amenities and a young, educated workforce. Cost of living is also cheaper. Of course, Phoenix may be a good option as well, along with Dallas. Austin is nice too.

Old 01-24-2014, 11:53 PM

7 posts, read 6,689 times
Dallas, Atlanta, Charlotte
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.