U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2014, 07:24 PM

613 posts, read 892,619 times

Advertisements

Three generations of ancestry in the country I mean. I'm talking about Asian-Americans whose descendents were early settlers, such as the early miners in California.

About how many people today would be descended from them and in which places is it common? California and Hawaii are the main places this comes to mind, but I heard Washington, Oregon and even Montana and Idaho at one point had Chinese immigration in the 19th century.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2014, 07:32 PM

12,419 posts, read 11,923,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markovian process View Post
Three generations of ancestry in the country I mean. I'm talking about Asian-Americans whose descendants were early settlers, such as the early miners in California.

About how many people today would be descended from them and in which places is it common? California and Hawaii are the main places this comes to mind, but I heard Washington, Oregon and even Montana and Idaho at one point had Chinese immigration in the 19th century.
There are certainly Japanese-Americans which are well into their third generation, along with many Filipinos. Keep in mind, though, Asian-Americans have very high rates of outmarriage, so generally speaking these people would be 3/4ths (or greater) white today (or in some cases black).

Regarding the 19th century Chinese community, things are a bit different. They were forced into ethnic ghettos in the early 20th century, but few Chinese women migrated to the U.S. So the vast majority of the Chinese migrants from this period died childless.

Old 02-01-2014, 12:45 AM

606 posts, read 952,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
There are certainly Japanese-Americans which are well into their third generation, along with many Filipinos. Keep in mind, though, Asian-Americans have very high rates of outmarriage, so generally speaking these people would be 3/4ths (or greater) white today (or in some cases black).

Regarding the 19th century Chinese community, things are a bit different. They were forced into ethnic ghettos in the early 20th century, but few Chinese women migrated to the U.S. So the vast majority of the Chinese migrants from this period died childless.
Without statistics I'd caution against generalizations like "generally speaking these people would be 3/4ths white today" because I'm not sure I believe that necessarily. Some, yes, but I don't know about most. Anyways, there are many people in California and Washington states that are 3rd generations Asian-Americans, but the proportion will continue to shrink as Asian immigration remains steady and large. This might have been much clearer in, say, 1970, then today. It seems like a paradox at first, but during times of immigration boom the period of 3rd generation Asian-Americans can be less than at points than in the past. But you can also find 3rd generation Asian-Americans in New York, New Jersey, and Massachusetts as well.

Old 02-01-2014, 05:54 PM

136 posts, read 257,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post

That doesn't apply to Hawaii, where Asians are the largest group. The majority of Asians in Hawaii are full Asian, but it is fairly common to find people of multiple Asian ethnicities such as Chinese and Japanese. Even in other states, there are a lot who are full or at least half Asian. But Hawaii is the only state in which the Asian percentage of the population is decreasing and the strong majority of Asians were born in America. The SF bay area and Seattle are a couple other places with quite a few 3rd or more generation Asians. Southern California has its share too, but also has more first generation immigrants than the bay area.

Last edited by Jonny08; 02-01-2014 at 06:02 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or