Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2014, 03:26 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,494,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I am not exactly sure but I think it was sometime in the eighties. The fries used to be crispy and had a little bit of the the peelings on them and not as much salt. They at first advertised for having the best fries with some sort of special oil. I think the reason I went off them is because they changed something about them maybe the oil, maybe the kind of potato they used but the change made a difference to me so I didn't like them as much. It's probably a matter of preference.

I don't drink coffee but I have heard people praise it. I am an ice tea drinker and I like their ice tea.
Ah too bad i was born in 89

Luckily i discovered the art of making my own french fries, later on i masted the art of seasoning my french fries with something other than salt! ahhh i make the best french fries
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2014, 03:35 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,931,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Ah too bad i was born in 89

Luckily i discovered the art of making my own french fries, later on i masted the art of seasoning my french fries with something other than salt! ahhh i make the best french fries
Old bay seasoning?

Old 02-05-2014, 03:40 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,494,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
Old bay seasoning?
Lawry's seasoned salt, much better than just regular salt.

Old 02-05-2014, 11:39 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,540,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
if you are smart, it is cheaper to cook at home. I can whip up a decent meal for under $4 a plate. If I really tried I'm sure I can do it for under $2.
Yeah, no...

Sorry it doesn't work that way. At least not where I live. Besides, it's not the "cost of plate" that's the problem. It's the cost of the ingredients.

There is a difference between cooking and "preparing food". Cooking involves effort and know-how. Preparing food is boiling hot dogs or making spaghetti with pre-made sauce.

Around here? Sauce and hot dogs are pricey.

Old 02-06-2014, 07:27 AM

5,888 posts, read 13,005,312 times
You can make a big batch of Meat Sauce, that will last up to a week for less than 10 dollars and take less than 1 hour to prepare (although the actual preliminary cooking will take 2-3 hours). that about 1.42 a day for the family. Pasta is less than 2 dollars a package. So for three dollars a day, a family of 4 can have a decent dinner.

We had a vegetable garden when I was a kid. Food was essentially the cost of seeds and a daily hour of work. Nothing beats fresh. Even in my condo, I enjoy fresh herbs, tomatoes, bell peppers.

I believe that you mentioned that you like hunting and fishing: Fishing doesn't cost anything, and A good day will yield at least two days of fresh protein. A good deer kill will provide nutrition for at least a month.

Hots dogs (even the premium Kosher hotdogs) are no better, and probably worse than McDonald's meat.

Its about wanting to eat right.

I work very full days. Sometimes up to 10 hours. I make time to exercise daily for at least 1 hour. Food prep (including my "gardening" takes up less than and another 1.5 hours.

You have to make choices. TV time or quality time. Get up early or sleep in.

And don't give me expensive. I live in California (even though it really isn't that expensive to live here).

Old 02-06-2014, 11:11 AM

1,574 posts, read 5,116,314 times
McDonalds in the USA is also the most competitively-priced McDonalds in the world. Too accessible for the overall population.

In many countries around the world, it is a 'big deal' to eat at McDonalds. (Russia, for instance)

Old 02-06-2014, 11:25 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,348,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxie89 View Post
Why do Americans say Ya'll? instead of you all, "sarry" instead of sorry? and "ruff" instead of roof? - speech impediment?

Why can't an American differentiate the word "pin" and "pen" either? sorry that's pathetic. And you criticize Rachel Jeantel for speaking like an idiot?
I am American and I don't say 'Y'all', 'ruff', or 'pin' for 'pen'.

You have a very limited impression of the diversity of accents and dialects in America.

You are also rude.

Old 02-06-2014, 11:31 AM

142 posts, read 219,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post

You have a very limited impression of the diversity of accents and dialects in America.

You are also rude.
Do you not you understand sarcasm?

Old 02-06-2014, 11:38 AM

1,574 posts, read 5,116,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post

You are also rude.
funny...considering this is the same crazy gal who started in another thread, that she wants to sound like an American :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxie89 View Post
Well

It bothers me truthfully because I would prefer to have an American accent - which I believe this is the accent I already have to begin with. I wouldn't want to "sound" Canadian at all if what you just described about our accent is true in terms the funny vowel sounds ect.

Old 02-06-2014, 11:45 AM

4,409 posts, read 6,540,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
You can make a big batch of Meat Sauce, that will last up to a week for less than 10 dollars and take less than 1 hour to prepare (although the actual preliminary cooking will take 2-3 hours). that about 1.42 a day for the family. Pasta is less than 2 dollars a package. So for three dollars a day, a family of 4 can have a decent dinner.

We had a vegetable garden when I was a kid. Food was essentially the cost of seeds and a daily hour of work. Nothing beats fresh. Even in my condo, I enjoy fresh herbs, tomatoes, bell peppers.

I believe that you mentioned that you like hunting and fishing: Fishing doesn't cost anything, and A good day will yield at least two days of fresh protein. A good deer kill will provide nutrition for at least a month.

Hots dogs (even the premium Kosher hotdogs) are no better, and probably worse than McDonald's meat.

Its about wanting to eat right.

I work very full days. Sometimes up to 10 hours. I make time to exercise daily for at least 1 hour. Food prep (including my "gardening" takes up less than and another 1.5 hours.

You have to make choices. TV time or quality time. Get up early or sleep in.

And don't give me expensive. I live in California (even though it really isn't that expensive to live here).
Hey preachy-mcgee, stop assuming so much about my personal life for one, and two don't condescend to me. I don't believe you understood the word BROKE.

First off I live in a SWAMP. There is no gardening opportunity around my home. It's TEPID WATER and MUD. Or trees so dense you can't walk through them.

Hunting and fishing both cost a lot of money. One; you need a license for both. Two; You need hunting gear and fishing gear, which is expensive. Three; you need a boat or a dock at fruitful water, I have neither. I don't even have a car because of the cost of insurance.

Four; where are you getting this idea that I watch TV and sit around? That is very insulting. I don't even have television service. I only have the internet to sell art, which is the only job I've been able to find in this hell hole economy with no car.

And I have no idea where you are finding cheap meat for your sauce. Meat is some of the most expensive food out there. Not to mention the seasoning, and the tomatoes. Tomatoes are three dollars apiece at our Wal Mart, which is all we have within reasonable distance. Even worse at Winn Dixie from what I hear.

On top of that, most pasta here is $2.50 a box and only a little less per bag. I have to feed three adults for two weeks at a time, this adds up beyond our budget really damn fast.

The prices in southeast Louisiana, or at least here in Livingston parish, have been rising to ridiculous heights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.