Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2014, 09:30 PM

2,096 posts, read 4,775,986 times

Advertisements

I notice that most eastern cities get as much rain as Portland and Seattle, yet you rarely hear complaints that it "rains all the time" back east.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2014, 09:35 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,870,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belmont22 View Post
I notice that most eastern cities get as much rain as Portland and Seattle, yet you rarely hear complaints that it "rains all the time" back east.
The rain comes out basically in buckets at a time, then dries up (and back to the pleasant weather). But it does get humid, especially when it's warm-- so it's still "damp", just in a different way. I honestly like it better this way (a long time Seattleite living in the South here).

Old 02-05-2014, 09:43 PM

16,069 posts, read 21,144,062 times
I don't know about other places, but living in AL, FL, and TN I've noticed that they have only a few months that are really rainy. During most of the year any rain showers are usually brief, lasting an hour or less and the rest of the day may be beautiful and sunny.
I've always been under the impression that the Seattle area can be overcast and rainy or drizzling for days on end through a good portion of the year. So maybe it's not really "how much" rain but "how often" it rains the creates the different feeling?

Old 02-05-2014, 10:24 PM

1,772 posts, read 3,519,622 times
It depends on the season. Spring can feel gray, damp, muddy, and waterlogged. Particularity near the Great Lakes.

In summer you can expect a big thunderstorm once or twice a week, but it rarely rains all day long.

Generally Septembers are pleasant and sunny, Octobers are crisp and sunny, and Novembers tend to be gloomy. Though autumns can be a mixed bag, and there's always an exception.

Old 02-05-2014, 10:35 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,513,296 times
It's # of rainy days, Seattle has more than any U.S. major city. Also, it is overcast a lot, more so than rain. Though summers should be very clear cloudless days. The East is usually humid so clear days are rare unless a front has moved through, but you usually get lots of partly cloudy with some cumulus or cumulonimbus clouds that turn into afternoon thunderstorms then go away.

Old 02-06-2014, 01:37 AM

1,207 posts, read 1,282,365 times
It's the way the rain comes. I think some areas in the east actually get more annual rain than Seattle. But most of that rain comes in downpours during a storm. Seattle doesn't have as many thunderstorms as the east, but it has less sunny days and is more overcast. I assume the rain comes in a drizzle or light shower in Seattle. Check out this graphic from the national weather service.

Old 02-06-2014, 06:40 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,921,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
The rain comes out basically in buckets at a time, then dries up (and back to the pleasant weather). But it does get humid, especially when it's warm-- so it's still "damp", just in a different way. I honestly like it better this way (a long time Seattleite living in the South here).

basically this with the exception of the last sentence which is personal preference

Old 02-06-2014, 07:06 AM

36,657 posts, read 67,519,268 times
Its the uncomfortable combination of wrenching humidity and sporadic rain showers in the summer that make the entire East feel just ickier than the Pacific Northwest to me.

Old 02-06-2014, 07:12 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,921,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Its the uncomfortable combination of wrenching humidity and sporadic rain showers in the summer that make the entire East feel just ickier than the Pacific Northwest to me.

Yes summer can be sticky - spring and fall can be great

Old 02-06-2014, 07:51 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belmont22 View Post
Get thee to the Pittsburgh forum. They spend loads of time arguing about the weather there, and it does rain a lot there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.