U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2014, 07:26 PM

60 posts, read 91,339 times

Advertisements

What are some of the diffrences and similarities,accents culture,attitude??(Baltimore,Annapolis,D.C.,NOVA,R ichmond and Hampton Roads VA)

Last edited by AllEars85; 02-07-2014 at 07:45 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2014, 07:44 PM

867 posts, read 1,088,087 times
Interesting...why do you ask about the AAs?(pretty good). Cant wait to see this one.

Old 02-07-2014, 08:15 PM

In other threads I see people discussing topics about these areas mainly in the cities, and alot of posters leave out the AAs in these cities while posting when they make up a large percentage of places like Baltimore,DC,Richmond and Norfolk. So I thought i'd dedicate an entire thread about it.

Old 02-07-2014, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllEars85 View Post
In other threads I see people discussing topics about these areas mainly in the cities, and alot of posters leave out the AAs in these cities while posting when they make up a large percentage of places like Baltimore,DC,Richmond and Norfolk. So I thought i'd dedicate an entire thread about it.
You are correct which is why I think its interesting that you asked. Most people use all these measurements to determine the culture of these places while ignoring the large populations of black people that have been in these areas from the beginning...one would think there is some major connection between them...especially moreso than with a place like say Boston.

Old 02-07-2014, 09:54 PM

Yea far from Boston, but I do see some of similarities with B-More and Philly AAs though.

Old 02-07-2014, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllEars85 View Post
Yea far from Boston, but I do see some of similarities with B-More and Philly AAs though.
They are both close in proximity and (subconsciously) play second fiddle to neighboring major metropolitan areas. Im sure that helps them relate more with each other.

Old 02-08-2014, 09:22 AM

33 posts, read 29,278 times
Richmond and 7cities are southern as hell and country.

Annapolis is a small town and former slave port and it is also southern and country. It's racist out there too.

DC has a fast paced, hustle and bustle, cosmopolitan vibe with northern influence. Blacks here are go gettas and are among the most well off compared to peers in other cities. The mindset among AAs are a mix if northern and southern. DC blacks are cocky and think that all out of towners are a bunch of bammas, especially Baltimore.

Baltimore blacks have northern influence too but their mindset is very southern, very complacent, and they have no fashion.

All in all DC is the most different, Baltimore could fit in with Richmond when it comes to mindset.

Old 02-08-2014, 12:08 PM

1,818 posts, read 3,435,734 times
Default boredatwork

As far as I know DC and Hampton roads folks especially Chesapeake VA sound similar but have different slang. Maryland suburbs around DC including Annapolis use more DC slang. Baltimore may pronounce certain words similar to DC like "murry" for merry, "vury" for very but thats it. I think only in DC is saturday pronounced "suurdy". Whats crazy is 2 hours away in VA they may be hip to go-go but 30 minutes up the road in Bmore area they arent. Baltimore folks seem to have more in common with Philly folks.

Old 02-09-2014, 08:39 AM

346 posts, read 757,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boreatwork View Post
As far as I know DC and Hampton roads folks especially Chesapeake VA sound similar but have different slang. Maryland suburbs around DC including Annapolis use more DC slang. Baltimore may pronounce certain words similar to DC like "murry" for merry, "vury" for very but thats it. I think only in DC is saturday pronounced "suurdy". Whats crazy is 2 hours away in VA they may be hip to go-go but 30 minutes up the road in Bmore area they arent. Baltimore folks seem to have more in common with Philly folks.
I believe DC and people from Tidewater VA have accents that sound very similar on many occasions. Even some famous AA's from the 757 area (Allen Iverson, Alonzo Morning, Pusha-T, Pharrell, Missy Elliot, Michael Vick) have accents similar to what is described as the DC AA accent. Obviously, people from Tidewater have slightly more southern influences in their speech patterns, while people from Baltimore have more northern influences. Richmond, VA AA accents frequently sound more traditionally southern than the AA's in the Tidewater area. I have heard AA's from Norfolk/Newport News mention how Blacks from Richmond sound very southern/country to them.

Old 09-23-2014, 07:50 PM

781 posts, read 1,094,509 times
I think the African Americans in all the locations above are somewhat similar with minor differences you can even through Delaware in the mix
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.