U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2014, 08:14 PM

111 posts, read 186,415 times

Advertisements

I'm not talking about driving 30 miles away to the closest decent sized city, I'm talking far away, states, as a stress relief, and somewhat enjoyable. Just curious to see if any of you enjoy doing this on rare occasions? There are times in my life where I feel really stressed out and for some odd reason it feels really good to be able to drive far away one weekend very pointlessly and then come back in time for the following week. I live in Indianapolis and I've been here for several years. I've only gone on 5 of these within this time span but it's been to places such as St. Louis, Chicago, Detroit, Pittsburgh, and even Buffalo. I know, weird right? I find it really enjoyable though and stress relieving. So again... has anyone else done this? Lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2014, 08:18 PM
NCN

21,135 posts, read 21,881,518 times
I need at least two trips on the Blue Ridge Parkway a year for my mental health. I like to open the car windows, turn the radio to a classical station and let the wind blow through my hair while cruising through the flowers, grass and trees under the beautiful cloudy and blue sky.

Old 02-07-2014, 08:22 PM
NCN

21,135 posts, read 21,881,518 times
I have a dream to one day leave home with a couple of empty suitcases in the car and follow my nose to wherever it leads me while shopping for vacation clothes in small private shops along the way.

Old 02-08-2014, 08:28 AM

44,721 posts, read 36,145,910 times
Nearly every spring my husband and I make two road trips that are low key and very relaxed. We drive down to Luckenbach, Texas (and Fredericksburg) in the Texas Hill Country for a few days. This is 5-6 hours away. We also usually drive to, of all places, Ruston, Louisiana in March or April, to check out Bonnie and Clyde Trade Days and eat crawfish at Ponchatoula's. This is about a four hour drive from our house.

Old 02-09-2014, 09:35 AM

22 posts, read 25,088 times
I love just getting out and hitting the road though I usually have a general destination in mind which almost always has to do with a flea market or a town with antique shops. I usually go with two other friends and we stay over for, from 1 to 3 nights, depending on the destination.
I'm amazed that more people don't do this as it is a great way to see new things and shake you out of your stasis. Road trips are the great American tradition, a way to expand your world without breaking your budget and putting some excitement in your life. As a kid we took two-day trips up to northern Wisconsin for the summer so road trips are in my dna. I will even go somewhere by myself If I can't find anyone to go with.

Old 02-09-2014, 12:29 PM

5,214 posts, read 3,632,069 times
I've made lots of trips down to my favorite restaurant in the Florida panhandle just to eat fried Mullet. Its in the neighborhood of 350 miles.

Old 02-09-2014, 12:47 PM

3,500 posts, read 4,957,688 times
Blue Highways - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 02-09-2014, 02:00 PM

4,247 posts, read 9,713,753 times
I used to do that when I was single - although not to the point where I would spend the night away, but some pretty long days driving (like central Indiana, from a home base in Iowa) or to/from business meetings. Our family trips still have much more non-linearity than others'.

Old 02-09-2014, 02:18 PM

6,127 posts, read 6,445,193 times
There is no such thing as a pointless road trip! The point is to gr away, enjoy a change of scenery and recharge. I love where I live but every couple months I get the urge to get away. It's an eight hour drive to see my family and a four hour drive to the mountains. I love spending a couple nights away from home.

Old 02-09-2014, 06:31 PM

5,847 posts, read 11,018,676 times
I used to like to intentionally get "lost" then find my way home...
Its amazing how much you can discover an area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.