Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2014, 12:08 AM

14,773 posts, read 21,500,362 times

Advertisements

Well we already have alot them in most major cities so why would they be building them?

Where I'm from there are at least 4 large indoor malls, all of them have been renovated in the last 5 years.
It would be foolish to build another mall
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2014, 08:47 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,223,544 times
Places are building new malls though - they are just trending more towards the outdoors layout .... lifestyle centers or whatever they want to call them

Out here in the Phoenix metro most recent and planned malls are being built in this fashion ..... However, some of the largest malls and most popular malls are all inside (Scottsdale Fashion Center, Chandler Fashion Center, Arrowhead Mall, etc) ..... Some of these get expanded, remodeled, etc but will remain indoors.

In the past year or so two large outlet type malls have opened in the metro, both with the open layout and the open layout is very popular right now.

Personally I prefer it, but I really don't have an aversion to the indoor mall either as far as form/function - especially since it's a bit easier or more common out here to have multiple floors on the indoor malls and when you combine the stores with the footprint they pack a pretty strong punch

Old 02-12-2014, 12:26 PM

1,804 posts, read 1,954,550 times
Its good to see that some new malls are being built since I feel despite some lifestyle changes, indoor malls still have a place. Sure I feel the slowdown was due to a combination of factors (recession, outdoor trend, big box stores, online shoppng trend), but it seems like those trends (especially the recession and big box stores) have passed and renovating, expanding, and even building some new malls are good again. One thing I'd prefer is for them to be more than just "fashion centers". Having a wide variety of merchandise and other services is what makes malls worth going. Building them near mass transit stations, within districts with lots of mixed-use housing (urban and suburban), and having good design are what's going to keep malls alive. Sadly for the Washington DC/Baltimore area, the last mall that was built in the area was Arundel Mills in 2000, and several have closed since then, with White Flint being the latest. This region is still embracing the lifestyle trend.

Old 02-12-2014, 12:39 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,086,150 times
Dulles Town Center in Sterling, VA is 13 years old, but FWIW it's undergoing an expansion right now that was started last summer. The cold & icy weather lately has made it the place to go lately, especially for those who want a place to take a walk or meet friends for coffee. Parking is free, and they have plenty of spaces.

A few miles down the road, Village of Leesburg is a Town Center style open air mall. It was quite the place to be a few years ago but seems to be struggling this year (although it has the extremely Wegman's grocery as its anchor store). I was just there the other day, and there weren't many cars parked there. Nobody was out walking from store to store . Hopefully things will pick up for them when the weather gets nicer.

I agree that there have been very few shopping plazas of any sort built in the last 5 years due to the recession. This includes indoor malls, town center style outdoor malls, and even the large strip malls. Loudoun County has a few large shopping plazas that are part of housing developments that were under construction for several years, and then finally opened in the last few years. Not sure if that really counts. In Williamsburg, the Williamsburg Pottery Factory was rebuilt into a covered mall style. It had formerly been a series of buildings that you walked between. I'm not sure if that really counts either since all the sub-stores there are departments of the same large umbrella company.

Last edited by Caladium; 02-12-2014 at 12:49 PM..

Old 02-14-2014, 03:59 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,165,301 times
Isn't this sort of information easy to find by googling? Given the criteria that the OP listed, the answer is none.

Old 02-15-2014, 09:56 AM

13 posts, read 23,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
Isn't this sort of information easy to find by googling? Given the criteria that the OP listed, the answer is none.
wrong...beautiful mall being built by Benderson in Sarasota - huge with some top name stores etc

Old 02-15-2014, 10:44 AM

1,773 posts, read 2,676,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theviolator View Post
wrong...beautiful mall being built by Benderson in Sarasota - huge with some top name stores etc
This means it hasn't been built yet then... So it doesn't qualify...

Old 02-15-2014, 08:46 PM

413 posts, read 789,725 times
Few indoor shopping malls have been built in the last five years because in the 1990's and 2000's, Simon, General Growth Properties and the other major shopping mall developers built far more shopping malls than were needed, or could be sustained, even without the recession.

That's why websites dedicated to 'dead malls' are filled with malls that failed before 2008. The estimates are that 10% of existing malls will fail by 2022. So, we're probably not going to see a lot of new mall construction before then.

Old 02-16-2014, 08:40 AM

13 posts, read 23,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesarstl View Post
This means it hasn't been built yet then... So it doesn't qualify...
Nope...wrong again...Google it yourself !

Old 02-16-2014, 01:50 PM

1,549 posts, read 1,063,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post
Has there been a large (150 + stores) INDOOR Regional Shopping Mall built in any city in America in the last five years? If so, where is it and what is it called?
Many cities are moving to more of an open-air concept of shopping rather than enclosing the businesses. Malls are passe, but newfangled "town centers" are in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.