Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2014, 04:33 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,442,276 times

Advertisements

And then there is the rain.

Does it really rain that much in the PNW? How much does it rain in Portland/Seattle etc? Will I be able to survive in the rain? Does the rain stop people from doing things? What type of clothes should I buy for the rain? Honestly, does it NEVER rain where you are now? Will I hear the rain on my roof? Someone actually once asked this question on the Portland forum. Will I be depressed because of the overcast days? Wait a minute, I'll get my crystal ball and ask it, or better yet my Ouija Board. Does it flood because of the heavy rains? Should I worry about landslides?

They are so preoccupied with the rain and how it will affect them but then you will have the same people talk about how much they love the greenery of the PNW. Well, duh, how do they think it gets and remains so green? It's the rain, people!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2014, 08:32 PM

605 posts, read 1,165,537 times
Let's start answering each of these posts the same: Detroit. That city needs these folks. Let's send them all there and see if we can reboot the economy.

Old 02-20-2014, 07:18 AM

88,562 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post

Does it really rain that much in the PNW? How much does it rain in Portland/Seattle etc? Will I be able to survive in the rain? Does the rain stop people from doing things? What type of clothes should I buy for the rain? Honestly, does it NEVER rain where you are now? Will I hear the rain on my roof? Someone actually once asked this question on the Portland forum. Will I be depressed because of the overcast days? Wait a minute, I'll get my crystal ball and ask it, or better yet my Ouija Board. Does it flood because of the heavy rains? Should I worry about landslides?

They are so preoccupied with the rain and how it will affect them but then you will have the same people talk about how much they love the greenery of the PNW. Well, duh, how do they think it gets and remains so green? It's the rain, people!
This is hilarious.

Old 02-20-2014, 08:23 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
Top 10 cities in which to get laid

1. Austin, TX
2. Denver, CO
3. Raleigh, NC
4. Portland, OR
5. Seattle, WA
6. San Francisco, CA
7. Boston, MA
8. Minneapolis, MN
9. New York, NY
10. Rapid City, SD

Honorable mention: Washington, DC

Top 10 cities in which to open a store

1. Portland, OR
2. Minneapolis, MN
3. Seattle, WA
4. San Francisco, CA
5. Austin, TX
6. New York, NY
7. Raleigh, NC
8. Washington, DC
9. Denver, CO
10. Green Bay, WI

Honorable mention: Boston, MA

Top 10 cities in which to have sweet dreams

1. Raleigh, NC
2. San Francisco, CA
3. Denver, CO
4. Minneapolis, MN
5. Boston, MA
6. Austin, TX
7. New York, NY
8. Seattle, WA
9. Washington, DC
10. Springfield, MO

Honorable mention: Portland, OR

Top 10 cities for commuting to work by pogo stick

1. Washington, DC
2. Boston, MA
3. Minneapolis, MN
4. Denver, CO
5. Portland, OR
6. Raleigh, NC
7. Seattle, WA
8. New York, NY
9. San Francisco, CA
10. Huntsville, AL

Honorable mention: Minneapolis, MN

Top 10 cities for moderate climate

1. Minneapolis, MN
2. Austin, TX
3. Boston, MA
4. Raleigh, NC
5. New York, NY
6. Denver, CO
7. Washington, DC
8. Portland, OR
9. Seattle, WA
10. Fargo, ND

Honorable mention: San Francisco, CA

Top 10 affordable cities

1. New York, NY
2. San Francisco, CA
3. Washington, DC
4. Boston, MA
5. Minneapolis, MN
6. Seattle, WA
7. Denver, CO
8. Austin, TX
9. Portland, OR
10. Hartford, CT

Honorable mention: Raleigh, NC

You forgot "Top 10 Cities to Go Fly a Kite"
1. Seattle, WA
2. Austin, TX
3. Minneapolis, MN
4. New York, NY
5. San Francisco, CA
6. Portland, OR
7. Boston, MA
8. Raleigh, NC
9. Washington, DC
10. Cheyenne, WY

Honorable mention: Denver, CO

Old 02-20-2014, 08:27 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:

Snow

Does it snow in Denver? (This was once asked) How much does it snow in Denver? How many snow days are there in Denver? Do the schools close often due to snow? (Rarely) Will I be expected to go to work if it snows? (Damn straight, in most cases) Do I need a 4WD car b/c of the snow; I currently drive a Mini-Cooper. What kind of clothes do I need for the snow?

Old 02-20-2014, 11:12 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,651,685 times
Quote:

Hehe. Go to the Phoenix forum. "How hot is it"? "How many days over 100"? "Will I be able to cope with it"? "When does it get cool"? "How long will my A/C be on"? "How much does it cost every month to run the A/C"? "Do I shop in the early am or night time"? "Will my steering wheel melt"? "How long does it stay hot"? "Is it getting hotter"? "Will my ___ dog, cat or husband or wife adjust"? "Will I adjust"? "Will a pool help"?

Answers-- same answers every time either it's the frig*in desert, it's hot as hel* and getting hotter. It won't get better, probably only hotter and it's a wasteland.
Or, it's really not that hot here, only in your mind is it hot, just don't think about it. I go ____jogging, walking, shopping and doing errands during the hottest part of the day and it doesn't bother me!

Old 02-20-2014, 11:29 AM

4,009 posts, read 6,863,586 times
I lived in NC up until a year ago so sometimes still lurk / post on the NC forums. As others have said, NC seems to get an over abundance of this type of crazy thread. There seems to be a perception, particularly among northerners, that NC will be the land of milk and honey, possibly fueled by Nicholas Sparks' novels.

It seems that everyone wants:

-Super low cost of living (which NC doesn't really have in the scheme of things)
-Keep their Northern wage expectations (not going to happen, I found NC wages in a lot of sectors to be lower)
-Get a brand new 4000sqft, custom built house on 2 acres for $150k or less
-But within walking distance of a quaint small town filled with Mom and Pop shops and upscale boutiques and restaurants
-In an excellent school district
-Only 10 minutes drive with no traffic to a major city for work
-With excellent public transport
-But with a rural, country living feel
-Close to the mountains *and* to the beach (walking distance preferred)
-Where it never gets too hot or too cold.
-Snow is bad. Humidity is worse.
-A place with no insects or creepy crawlies
-But a lot of trees and close to nature

Anybody familiar with the NC forums will know I'm really not making this stuff up! Additionally, half the people claiming to want to move there have never even been... But they've read books and seen photos!

Old 02-20-2014, 12:48 PM

331 posts, read 465,374 times
Quote:
Really, no one here cares what you eat.
This!

I'm beginning to do eyerolls when I see a detailed list of very personal likes and dislikes. Which of course are stupendously irrelevant to where you end up living. Some of my faves (and my un-posted responses):

"I dislike rude people." (So, research "Ten Cities with the Rudest People" and don't move to any of them. Or find a place where rudeness has been outlawed and all rude people are in jail. Fer pete's sake, dimwit, NOBODY likes rude people.)

"I'm kind of cool but I don't like those self-conscious hipsters." (Well, allrighty then. Just don't hang out with people like that. Or Google "Ten U.S. Cities with the Highest Percentage of Kind of Cool People," and pick one of them.)

"I like a walkable city with public transportation. But I can't stand it when I have to wait for a bus where some people are smoking." (Honey, those smokers probably don't like standing next to your stuck-up little prissy a*s and your nasty little side-eye looks, any more than you like them. Many of them are probably going from one of their tiring low-paid jobs to their other tiring low-paid job, just sweating to get the bills paid, and could care less about anything but getting a chance to sit down and get a load off their feet. Just chill. Or get a damn car and drive around town.)

"I don't ever want to have biological children." Yes. This is a direct quote from a recent post. (What a special snowflake you are. Have you looked at the list of the Ten U.S. Cities with the Lowest Mean Sperm Count?)

"I think religion and spirituality-related activities are a waste of time." (So, don't go to church, or temple, or the mosque.)

And less personal, but not so realistic:

"We want to be near downtown Denver and close to the mountains." (I did, politely, tell her to look again at a map. Denver's on the plains; if you're near downtown you're not all that "close" to the mountains. Depending on traffic they are an hour or more away on the freeway. They're not gonna be outside your back door.)

Old 02-20-2014, 01:04 PM

3,805 posts, read 6,355,367 times
This thread is hilarious and so on point. Especially the Portland ones, because that's where I live. I stopped responding to posts like those a long time ago. They are all looking for something that just does not exist. Anywhere.

Minervah, loved your posts about the rain in Portland. How are we expected to know how people will react/adjust/adapt to the rain?

Keep 'em coming folks. This is great reading!

Old 02-20-2014, 01:33 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,519,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
Top 10 cities in which to get laid

1. Austin, TX
2. Denver, CO
3. Raleigh, NC
4. Portland, OR
5. Seattle, WA
6. San Francisco, CA
7. Boston, MA
8. Minneapolis, MN
9. New York, NY
10. Rapid City, SD

Honorable mention: Washington, DC

Top 10 cities in which to open a store

1. Portland, OR
2. Minneapolis, MN
3. Seattle, WA
4. San Francisco, CA
5. Austin, TX
6. New York, NY
7. Raleigh, NC
8. Washington, DC
9. Denver, CO
10. Green Bay, WI

Honorable mention: Boston, MA

Top 10 cities in which to have sweet dreams

1. Raleigh, NC
2. San Francisco, CA
3. Denver, CO
4. Minneapolis, MN
5. Boston, MA
6. Austin, TX
7. New York, NY
8. Seattle, WA
9. Washington, DC
10. Springfield, MO

Honorable mention: Portland, OR

Top 10 cities for commuting to work by pogo stick

1. Washington, DC
2. Boston, MA
3. Minneapolis, MN
4. Denver, CO
5. Portland, OR
6. Raleigh, NC
7. Seattle, WA
8. New York, NY
9. San Francisco, CA
10. Huntsville, AL

Honorable mention: Minneapolis, MN

Top 10 cities for moderate climate

1. Minneapolis, MN
2. Austin, TX
3. Boston, MA
4. Raleigh, NC
5. New York, NY
6. Denver, CO
7. Washington, DC
8. Portland, OR
9. Seattle, WA
10. Fargo, ND

Honorable mention: San Francisco, CA

Top 10 affordable cities

1. New York, NY
2. San Francisco, CA
3. Washington, DC
4. Boston, MA
5. Minneapolis, MN
6. Seattle, WA
7. Denver, CO
8. Austin, TX
9. Portland, OR
10. Hartford, CT

Honorable mention: Raleigh, NC

The editor of Forbes Magazine is very impressed and would like to make you a job offer as long as you can come up with 10-15 of these lists a week...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.