Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2014, 07:51 AM

4,647 posts, read 8,600,716 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LM1313 View Post
Thanks for your replies! I will look into Detroit further, all I really know about it is the recent bankruptcy and the enormous amount of empty houses, which makes me leery. But then again, the ultimate buyer's market, right?
As long as you use common sense and do your research, you can find a nice house plenty far away from all the area that usually gets all the media attention.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2014, 08:40 AM

1,678 posts, read 3,739,064 times
If Salt Lake City is being recommended than I would take a look at Denver as well since the city itself is pretty liberal plus you have the added benefit of living in a much more moderate/libertarian state (Colorado legalized same sex unions in addition to legalizing marijuana) as opposed to a conservative dominated state.

Old 02-15-2014, 09:36 AM

93,326 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Bigger Upstate NY cities, along with Ithaca, and near colleges in those cities in particular. Here is a neighborhood in the Syracuse area that would fit: Westcott, Syracuse - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Westcott
UNPA - University Neighborhood Preservation Association
Greater University Hill*

East Lansing MI could work, as well as Lansing neighborhoods near East Lansing. Check out other Big 10 college towns/cities too. Columbus OH would be the biggest of the bunch.
More Westcott information: Westcott Neighborhood Association

Old 02-16-2014, 04:32 PM

421 posts, read 676,510 times
The Great Lake States and Mid West are generally the best bet in therms of low cost of living and snow. Some examples include: Ann Arbor, Madison, Milwaukee, Minneapolis, St. Paul, Cleveland. Less densely populated parts of New England.

Old 02-16-2014, 04:33 PM

421 posts, read 676,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
Snarky comments aside, there are some affordable and livable homes in and around Detroit. We also just had the snowiest January on record. Just a little over 2 and a half feet of snow.

Also, it's kind of exaggeration that Detroit is liberal. It's liberal to a point, but there's many other cities that I would think have more obvious liberal qualities. SE Michigan as a whole is pretty moderate. You can easily find people who lean towards either side of the spectrum depending on the neighborhood/suburb(s). Suburbs like Royal Oak and Ferndale tend to attract the more liberal crowd. Ann Arbor also attracts a fair amount of progressive thinkers, however, the city itself is relatively expensive.
According to City Data Detroit voted for Dems in 5 of the last 5 presidential elections. In each of the last two elections presidential elections Democratic candidate carried over 73% of the vote. In the "Liberal" city if Seattle the Democratic candidate only received 68.8% of the votes in 2012 and 70.3% in 2008.

http://www.city-data.com/city/Detroit-Michigan.html

http://www.city-data.com/city/Seattle-Washington.html

Old 02-16-2014, 05:58 PM

180 posts, read 566,136 times
I don't think it's fair to equate liberal with Democrat and conservative with Republican. For example, my hometown in Vermont frequently votes Progressive ... i.e. against both the Democrat and Republican parties. As a result, we do sometimes have republican governors. However, people are mostly socially liberal. People mentioned Minnesota, and they have a famous third party there, too. Point being, a republican in New Hampshire is probably liberal, whereas a republican in Texas is probably not.

Old 02-16-2014, 07:37 PM

1,160 posts, read 1,658,170 times
St. Louis, Detroit, Cleveland.

Old 06-18-2014, 08:56 AM

927 posts, read 586,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Try Detroit. They have snow, houses for $1,000, and everybody is living on welfare. You can't get any more liberal than that.
(insert loud annoying buzzer)

Oh yes you can! Try North Korea!

Old 06-18-2014, 09:08 AM

279 posts, read 461,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LM1313 View Post
Right now I live in Seattle, which I love, except for two things . . .

1. No snow! I miss having snowy winters. I miss it a lot.

2. Crazy real estate prices. I'm saving up so I can buy a home eventually, but in all honesty I don't think I will ever be able to afford the "average" or even "below average" home prices in Seattle.

Now I'm wondering if I should move (eventually)? What are some liberal cities that have snow and cheaper housing?

Minneapolis.............

Old 06-18-2014, 09:49 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,179,855 times
Ann Arbor, MI
Madison, WI
Columbus or Cleveland, OH
Duluth, MN (maybe too much snow?) Great town though
Pittsburgh, PA

I'm not sure how big of a town you're looking for or how close to a bigger city you need to be but Missoula, MT would fit your criteria.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.