U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2016, 08:59 AM

912 posts, read 857,397 times

Advertisements

I live in the same area i was born in and grew up in, mid sized suburb of a mid sized city in central NJ. No real desire to move outside of the area... we are kind of central to a lot of great places, 30 minutes to a beach, an hour to the mountains or Manhattan.

Things are constantly changing here, but I'm used to the town, the people, the seasons.. just like it. If i were to move, probably would not go too far, maybe one state away or so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2016, 09:19 AM

3,078 posts, read 2,109,467 times
Wow, that can be radically varied. Some cities are growing, some are shrinking, some are just stagnant. Points of view between those three scenarios will produce highly divergent opinions. Also, at what point do you cut off the population figure for city? 50k, 100k, 250k, as that number can also have an impact on some desire to change or not. Its entirely possible for persons in some of this countries largest metro areas to never leave and still ahve huge diversity in things to see, do , live, and work.

With that being asked. I will offer that I've lived in the same city all my life. I've watched it grow from 100k to 400k. That has meant that things have grown here as I've grown, so the desire to move because life was stagnant never really materialized. It also has meant that as the population has grown outward from the city center, I've watched things I've know fall into neglect and disrepair as new residents demand newer, faster, better etc that is hard to find in the older neighborhoods. I've watched things change, sometimes not for the better, traffic increase, and attitudes change. I've watched some things repurpose and rebuild. One thing I have noticed is that despite the growth, many neighborhoods retain their appeal, character, and families in very similar classes to how they were first laid out and marketed. High end to low end, the cost and appeal when they were new has not changed now that they are 25, 50, or even 100 years older.

I've thought about leaving on a couple of occasions, but not being able to clearly define what my relocation requirements would be, never pursued it. Additionally, because I worked at companies that were pretty large with a reach that extended nationally or even internationally, I was able to travel to other locations for temporary assignments and experience a slice of life away from my home that allowed me to return without the disruptions of changing housing, jobs, or pay grades.

Old 04-04-2016, 10:05 AM

1,770 posts, read 2,136,680 times
60 years old. Have lived almost 48 years along the Front Range of Colorado. Denver Metro/Colorado Springs. Moved around for my father's job a lot when a youngster for short periods (CA, MT, Western CO). The only other place I'd lived a fairly long time was SLC Metro for about 11 years in the late '50s and '60's. Getting close to retirement so my wife and I are looking at other options, such as southern NM. I was fortunate enough to have a job that allowed me to travel the country for almost 14 years. I did enjoy that.

Old 04-04-2016, 10:18 AM

286 posts, read 215,509 times
well the city i grew up in in the 90s does not resemble the one i am now, nothing but strip malls chain restaurants for as long as the eye can see

thank god i have mountain ranges and forests in every direction to enjoy myself in

Old 04-05-2016, 06:46 AM

3,539 posts, read 1,513,328 times
I've lived in the Charlotte metro area all of my 50 years of life. I absolutely love it here. I lived in a few other suburbs around Charlotte from 1988-2011, but came back to the city I grew up in. It's home. And yes, I do get a warm and fuzzy feeling sometimes when I'm running errands around town and pass by old stomping grounds, schools, teenage hang-outs, parks I played at as a kid, the old shopping center where my dad use to take me to get my hair cut, etc. I had a great childhood and loved growing up here. I do think some people live in bad areas or areas that can't support their goals in life, so they have good reason to move elsewhere. But I think, too, many are obsessed with the "grass-is-greener" syndrome and get bored way to easily, have to be perpetually stimulated, and/or have unreasonable expectations about life. As I posted on a thread last week, there are only 2 other areas I'd ever consider moving; Charleston, SC and Orlando, FL. We've visited those areas many, many times over the decades and know we could live there and be happy. But even with those places, we would probably be following our adult children there before we'd move. There's a lot here in the Charlotte area economically, recreationally, and a great quality of life that's kept my whole family here over the decades. And, like I said, it's home. Interesting thread. I've enjoyed reading everyone's experiences. Thanks for posting it!

Last edited by march2; 04-05-2016 at 06:55 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or