U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2014, 02:38 PM

4,654 posts, read 3,714,777 times

Advertisements

Most Dangerous Cities In America - Business Insider
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2014, 03:03 PM

42,663 posts, read 74,356,272 times
Do you really think any of us are going to click through 25 arrows in order to see a list that ignores all the elements that make a city safe except a bunch of crime rates which are defined and applied so differently in each city that even those are not indicative of actual crime, much less public safety. The only dangerous city I know of is Milwaukee, which is 25th, and I am not going to play the Online Media's silly game of clicking through their stupid ad-littered glossy pictures of American cities and all their ills, arranged by some hack intern with a statistical chard learning how to be a magazine reporter.

If a thousand Trayvon Martin's are gunned down in the streets, that will appear to be a safe city, because it is not reflected by "crime rates". If a thousand school children are run down by speeding drivers in school zones, or if bullies have taken control of the schools, that will not be reflected by crime rates. If the public water supply causes cancer, that will not be reflected by crime rates. If the police are easily bribed, those will not show up in crime rates. So those will all be "safe cities".

If you want us to comment on your list of dangerous cities, go through the 25 clicks yourself and make us a list of the 25 cities, ranked 1-25 (not 25-1), and present the list to us, and we will discuss it with you. I bet you don't care enough to bother. Instead of just drumming up readership and site visits for Business Insider. Hopefully, someday, the moderators will start banning and deleting these forum promotions for glossy online magazines.

Or, if you live these kinds of sites so much, go to this forum thread and defend them:
Pet Peeve: Website articles that make you click through multiple pages

Last edited by jtur88; 02-18-2014 at 03:21 PM..

Old 02-18-2014, 03:15 PM

4,654 posts, read 3,714,777 times
I guess every specific crimes or accidents are organized in different categories,water and water problems would be in health and water supply categories.

Well,you need statistics in order to make a good decision but if these statistics are not inclusive then we have a problem.

The same issue with polls,they never mention who is really behind the polls we consume everyday but we still have to look at them and compare with other polls or statistics to make the "right" decision or just to be "informed"

Old 02-18-2014, 03:17 PM

1,013 posts, read 981,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Do you really think any of us are going to click through 25 arrows in order to see a list that ignores all the elements that make a city safe except a bunch of crime rates which are defined and applied so differently in each city that even those are not indicative of actual crime. The only dangerous city I know of is Milwaukee, which is 25th, and I am not going to play the Online Media's silly game of clicking through their stupid ad-littered glossy pictures of American cities and all their ills, arranged by some hack intern with a statistical chard learning how to be a magazine reporter.

If a thousand Trayvon Martin's are gunned down in the streets, that will appear to be a safe city, because it is not reflected by "crime rates". If a thousand school children are run down by speeding drivers in school zones, or if bullies have taken control of the schools, that will not be reflected by crime rates. If the public water supply causes cancer, that will not be reflected by crime rates. So those will all be "safe cities".

If you want us to comment on your list of dangerous cities, go through the 25 clicks and make us a list of the 25 cities, ranked 1-25 (not 25-1), and present the list to us, and we will discuss it with you. I bet you don't care enough to bother. Instead of just drumming up readership and site visits for Business Insider. Hopefully, someday, the moderators will start banning and deleting these forum promotions for glossy online magazines.
I'd get some troll spray, because the original poster stole the thread title from a [domain blocked due to spam] thread, and that one has been nothing short of a pissing contest for a couple years now.

Old 02-20-2014, 07:54 PM

922 posts, read 1,018,776 times
New Orleans doesn't belong on this list. The violent crime rate is not even among the top 25 for major cities in 2012 and probably not among the top 50 for all cities. Hogwash I tell ya!

Old 02-20-2014, 11:31 PM

2,832 posts, read 4,412,873 times
I'm surprised New York and Houston didn't make this list.

Old 02-21-2014, 08:33 AM

1,428 posts, read 1,825,503 times
#1 - Metros are better indicators of crime
#2 - The article is not even correct. They don't even account for aggravated assault - which can affect the most people and is maybe more violent than robbery. If a shooting victim doesn't die by a bullet, they become a victim of attempted murder. That gets lumped in with aggravated assault.

Old 02-21-2014, 02:16 PM

421 posts, read 547,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneclaw View Post
There is actually been a sharp fall in NY crimes in recent decades. Rudolph Giuliani, like a PHB, took credit for it when he was mayor.

Old 02-22-2014, 09:19 AM

11,443 posts, read 6,426,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneclaw View Post
New York hasn't made any of these lists in a long time. I remember just ten years ago when me and my mom moved to NYC from another country, we settled in Washington Heights where in the first month someone was killed in cold blood right outside our apartment building. In the 2010's, this kinda thing barely happens anymore in the Heights. NYC has completely changed man, and I say this as a guy who has only lived here for ten years

Also I never realized that Hartford was that bad! The skyline looked so nice...

Old 02-22-2014, 04:27 PM

1,709 posts, read 1,678,196 times
St. Louis, as usual, is on there simply because the city limits are so small. Even if they only added the closest inner suburbs to the area reviewed, the rate would drop substantially. Of course you get a higher rate when you only count the city center.

EDIT: Even the article admits it-"One reason crime is so high in St. Louis is that it’s not as sprawling as other cities, criminologist Richard Rosenfeld of the University of Missouri told CNN. Other cities have grown to include safer bordering communities." In reality, St. Louis isn't as bad as the statistics make it out to be, as the statistics in this case are skewed towards a smaller area.

Last edited by OuttaTheLouBurbs; 02-22-2014 at 04:35 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.