U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2007, 08:14 PM

6 posts, read 34,568 times

Advertisements

Just a huge quick post as I'm still in major need of this answer. I'm trying to relocate, I'm single and in the closet lesbian familywise, but out to a few very close friends. I want to live somewhere in the budget that is small but being given by two relatives maybe 3. I'm also disabled, and know those are a three strike on me being a possible target for some criminal of some category. (No offense intended in this posting, please bare with my wording.) I'm basically needing to know the safest best place for someone like me, (oh yeah, I'm also ethinically diverse and in the minority category probably..)..so seeking those plus gay-friendly/lesbian friendly and populated, and lastly good or livable for asthmatics and allergy sufferers...joint stuff too. I'm in my late 20's by the way. If that's important to note. Tired today so hope this makes sense and if not please just post a reply and I'll clarify soon. Thanks all!

P.S.- As horrible as this is going to look my rent budget is $400/month..need especially somewhere with utilities paid or some of and parking. I'm not good with heat, and love cold within reason.

Last edited by LostAndConfused; 12-02-2007 at 08:16 PM.. Reason: Left out important info for posting!
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2007, 11:34 PM

4,080 posts, read 2,129,425 times
I noticed that most lesbigay friendly areas are moderately to highly expensive, but here it goes:

Northern New Mexico is great, although Santa Fe's really expensive. Even so, there's undoubtedly some are within an hours drive of each that's probably fairly reasonable.

Northwest Arkansas surprisingly liberal for this part of the country. Eureka Springs (pop. 2,000), despite it's small size has a VERY large gay and lesbian population (not to mention lots of free-thinking bohemians) - to the point that this has the highest per capita lesbigay population in the sate (yes, even more than Little Rock and nearby Fayetteville). It's probably expensive, will without a doubt fill your bill. Speaking of Fayetteville, it's also pretty liberal for this part of the country. The University of Arkansas is here, its got an Atlanta-like growth rate, and has about 300,000 in its metro area (Wal-Mart's HQ is 30 miles up the road in Bentonville).

Asheville, NC Another really tolerant place, located in the mountains. It's practically the New Age capital of the Southeast. Basically, it's a larger version of Eureka Springs (Asheville has 70,000 or so) - lots of tourist, artists, and the like. I understand it's also fairly expensive, but I think you could still find a place near there.

Depending on your cold tolerance, any Midwestern college town likely fills your bill (Lawrence, KS; Columbia, MO; Champaign, IL; Bloomington, IN). A few southern one's will work too (Harrisonburg, VA has a medium sized liberal arts university - and you're just 2 hrs from Wash DC; Athens GA might work for you as well).

Good luck with your search.

Old 12-08-2007, 01:54 AM

310 posts, read 1,165,103 times
here in Iowa City, Iowa we have a large lesbian population. I have several lesbian friends and a cousin as well and none of them have run in to any prejudice. Very progressive, liberal city, and you'll be able to afford rent on $400 a month if you don't live downtown.

Gets hot and muggy here in the summer but nothing like Houston which is unbearable. And it gets cold and snowy in the winter but rarely drops below 15 degrees F. Spring and Fall are unbeatable though.

University of Iowa is located here and Iowa City is a town of about 65,000.

Old 12-08-2007, 12:15 PM

1,573 posts, read 5,654,972 times
Portland, OR has a vibrant gay/lesbian scene. Plus, great outdoor recreation and pacific northwest weather (not too hot, not too cold, splendid summers). For $400 a month rent, however, you will need to find roommates.

Old 10-11-2011, 04:47 PM

1 posts, read 6,676 times
Lesbian friendly Baguio City in the Philippines. The high altitude makes the temperature 50 - 70 F year round. It is a major college town and the cost of living is very very low. The Philippines in general is actually very lesbian friendly. Manila is excellent for lesbians but the city air is not going to be as good for someone with asthma. It may seem like a strange suggestion but consider seeing a chiropractor for your asthma.

Old 10-11-2011, 05:42 PM

13,856 posts, read 22,985,014 times
Maybe one of these

http://www.city-data.com/top2/c16.html

Sure it contains some SoCal and AZ places, but it also contains many that aren't that. Something I read said Santa Fe, New Mexico is a fairly good place for lesbians. Not sure how it is for air quality.

If you want to go international I think Argentina is fairly "gay/lesbian friendly" and there's smaller places where I believe the air is dry or fairly clean.

Old 10-11-2011, 07:47 PM

570 posts, read 1,145,787 times
Ithaca, NY is a small city, but known for being liberal, accepting and ethnically/racially diverse. Ithaca offers a lot for a city of it's size. Most of upstate NY, including around the Ithaca area, is reasonably priced for rent. I'm not sure about how it is for allergy sufferers, as this tends to depend on what type of allergies you have (pollen vs mold, etc).

http://www.city-data.com/city/Ithaca-New-York.html

Old 10-11-2011, 10:04 PM

11,810 posts, read 18,825,755 times
Who says that AZ is a good place for a lesbian to live? I thought the place was very anti-gay politically. It certainly doesn't float to the top of my list of pro-gay places to live.

Old 10-11-2011, 10:19 PM

6,628 posts, read 12,517,455 times
The Great Dyke, Zimbabwe...

Also check out:
Northampton, Massachusetts
Amherst, Massachusetts
Provincetown, Massachusetts
Burlington, Vermont

Old 10-11-2011, 10:19 PM

1,062 posts, read 1,347,531 times
I've always heard Minnesota, if correct St.Paul
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or