Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2014, 03:04 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,861,678 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatsbyGatz View Post
What a way to start of a thread with such a strange statement. I guess "beauty is in the eye of the beholder." I found multiple parts of Houston to look very ghetto, rural, and ugly. Houston also has a terrible crime rate, with high murder and rape statistics. Terrible example for this thread.

For proper examples, I would suggest any city in South Orange County (which is ultimately newer suburbs for the rich); Irvine would be my typical go-to answer.

Seattle is my example for major cities with no real ghettos. Very few murders and very little violent crime. Nothing "appears" ghetto due to the lush green vegetation which makes everything look very pretty even in the lower-income neighborhoods (which are rapidly gentrifying.) And ultimately in these neighborhoods, crime is still low. Essentially, compared to any other US city, Seattle has no ghettos.
Possibly due to demographics?

There are very few Blacks (7.7%) & Hispanics (6.6%) in Seattle.

Seattle is one of the least diverse major US cities. Sure it boasts a very large Asian population, but so does Houston.

Its not on the level of Houston, which has no majority-minority, that's for sure

Old 02-25-2014, 04:28 PM

4,209 posts, read 4,705,070 times
Any cities that didn't have white flight.

Old 02-26-2014, 02:39 AM

5,764 posts, read 11,596,099 times
Quebec City might be one of the best examples in North America. It has a few shabbier-looking areas, but nothing that could reasonably be described as "crime-ridden" or "ghetto." That is reflected in its extremely low murder rate. The city actually went all of 2007 and parts of 2006 and 2008 with zero murders at all.

Old 02-26-2014, 05:28 AM

462 posts, read 715,707 times
I would have said Salt Lake City maybe 15-20 years ago, but after watching a Gangland episode on the city, I don't think so any more.

Old 03-05-2014, 04:39 AM

91 posts, read 296,585 times
Singapore has almost no ghetto areas, such a pretty city.

Old 03-05-2014, 10:50 PM

19 posts, read 44,430 times
Seattle and Minneapolis would be great examples.

Old 03-06-2014, 07:46 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,132,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RazorbacksWPS View Post
Seattle and Minneapolis would be great examples.
You can have your opinion but Mpls isn't exactly a crime-free utopia like some make it out to be, though I'm sure the city would love it if people thought this way. Amongst the largest cities in the country, its crime rate is actually middle of the pack, similar to Cincy, Boston or Phoenix.

Perhaps the n'hoods aren't scary, IDK.

*Edit: Now at the METRO level I tend to agree more, and I think it's safe to lump the Twin Cities in with Seattle as two metro areas with less crime (or ghettoes) than nationally. Sometimes I find that hard to believe considering the crime rates of both Minneapolis and St. Paul, but they do make up a fairly small portion of the metro population (maybe 20%).

Last edited by Min-Chi-Cbus; 03-06-2014 at 08:02 AM..

Old 03-06-2014, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onni View Post
Singapore has almost no ghetto areas, such a pretty city.
I think it's the capital punishment when one commits a crime! Remember (don't know how old you are) the story of the American kid who spit or threw gum on the street and was sentenced to a flogging with a stick?!

It's like back in the days of yore (Middle Ages), people wouldn't commit crimes unless they felt they had no other choice, because the penalty for those crimes was so severe it would deter any "average" would-be criminals.

Old 03-06-2014, 08:17 AM

23,318 posts, read 43,781,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatsbyGatz View Post
What a way to start of a thread with such a strange statement. I guess "beauty is in the eye of the beholder." I found multiple parts of Houston to look very ghetto, rural, and ugly. Houston also has a terrible crime rate, with high murder and rape statistics. Terrible example for this thread.

For proper examples, I would suggest any city in South Orange County (which is ultimately newer suburbs for the rich); Irvine would be my typical go-to answer.

Seattle is my example for major cities with no real ghettos. Very few murders and very little violent crime. Nothing "appears" ghetto due to the lush green vegetation which makes everything look very pretty even in the lower-income neighborhoods (which are rapidly gentrifying.) And ultimately in these neighborhoods, crime is still low. Essentially, compared to any other US city, Seattle has no ghettos.
My husband (Seattle native) asked when we were last out there if I noticed anything strange about their news programming. He said that when you sit down to watch the news in, say, Atlanta the first 15 minutes is a litany of the latest murders, rapes, kidnappings, robberies and carjackings. In Seattle they usually start with some civic issue, as there is so little serious crime. While we were there a boy when missing in Burien and it was huge news. I got the impression that things like that just didn't happen in Seattle.

Old 03-06-2014, 10:16 AM

Some cities just spend a lot of time focusing on those stories, while others don't. For example, I've almost never seen a news story about a car-jacking, or even a non-deadly shooting, and when there's a murder the story is incredibly quick and they move on to the next topic.....like "in other news, two people were found dead this morning on the south side of town. The suspects have not been arrested, but the police have plenty of leads and are telling people in the community that the suspects are not believed to be dangerous." (even though they just killed two people.....I never understood that statement).

That's usually it, unless somebody in the area gets interviewed, which is always the most akward thing ever for somebody to do after somebody close to them dies. Like, how do you think they feel? Why are you brining it up and shoving a camera in their face? Or why are they volunteering their feelings to the newscasters? I never understood this either!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.