Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2014, 09:00 AM

3 posts, read 2,910 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone!

I have been browsing these threads and you all come up with some really helpful suggestions with similar topics to the one I am posting about now. I'm hoping you can provide some insight.

My boyfriend and I have decided to move out of New York City. We basically have a year and a half to research different places we want to move to, save up, make a decision and move. We have narrowed it down (if you can actually call it that) to the east coast; from Maine to North Carolina.

We are looking for a suburb that would be near a city that is safe, the traffic isn't so bad, with public transportation (if possible) and that the economy is stable. Good schools would be a must and housing cost would ideally be under 450K.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Do affordable, family friendly areas still exist?

One of the places that keeps popping up in my research is Charlottesville, VA. Does anyone have any insight into that area?

Thanks in advance for the help!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2014, 10:05 AM

93,188 posts, read 123,783,345 times
There are plenty of areas that could or would fit. Metros in Upstate NY, PA, MA, Northern New England, NC and VA would fit, among some others. There may be some other factors that may set certain areas apart.

If you want to stay in the state and like college towns, Ithaca would be a good fit. Even Ithaca City Schools are good and if you want a suburb, Lansing would be a very good choice.

Old 03-04-2014, 08:42 AM

Thanks ck! We are actually looking to move completely out of New York. I actually hadnt really thought about PA. Thanks for the suggestion!!!

Old 03-04-2014, 10:04 AM

5,516 posts, read 8,762,507 times
It seems to me that while Charlottseville might fit some of yr criteria it really is relatively isolated and not close to any big city, being several hours drive away from Atlanta or DC. (I suppose its relatively close to Richmond, but whether you consider that a "major" city is your call. I don't.)

But I think you might like Baltimore Coutny--the many towns in unincorporated areas outside of the city like Towsopn and Owings Mill--as well as Columbia Md, a racially and economically diverse set of planned communities with different types of housing and a sprnkling of city amenities. It's commutable to either Baltimore and DC and frequently makes it on those "best places to live" lists.

Old 03-04-2014, 11:07 AM

27,167 posts, read 43,857,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by musiclover84 View Post
We are looking for a suburb that would be near a city that is safe, the traffic isn't so bad, with public transportation (if possible) and that the economy is stable. Good schools would be a must and housing cost would ideally be under 450K.
The Boston area suburbs offer some great options in your price range with good schools and public transit, not to mention a strong economy.

Old 03-04-2014, 11:56 AM

93,188 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Thanks ck! We are actually looking to move completely out of New York. I actually hadnt really thought about PA. Thanks for the suggestion!!!
Pittsburgh or Philadelphia should have what you are looking for.

Old 03-04-2014, 12:29 PM

7,268 posts, read 10,585,214 times
Quote:
Hey everyone!

I have been browsing these threads and you all come up with some really helpful suggestions with similar topics to the one I am posting about now. I'm hoping you can provide some insight.

My boyfriend and I have decided to move out of New York City. We basically have a year and a half to research different places we want to move to, save up, make a decision and move. We have narrowed it down (if you can actually call it that) to the east coast; from Maine to North Carolina.

---

Thanks in advance for the help!!

Keeping in mind everything you're looking for (especially on the affordable housing front, which rules out much of the Boston and DC areas), suburban Philadelphia really seems to fit the bill -- at least if you're opting to remain in a major metro area.

Specifically, I'd consider towns such as Media, Glenside/Jenkintown, and Ambler in Pennsylvania or Collingswood and Haddonfield in Southern New Jersey.

Good luck!

Old 03-05-2014, 12:16 PM

Thanks everyone! I really appreciate all the suggestions
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.