Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2014, 07:32 PM

93,332 posts, read 123,972,828 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthCharlotte704 View Post
Greenville, SC is a nice small city that is growing with a population of 60,709 and 26.1 sq. miles. It is nestled in the foothills of upstate SC with quick access to the mountains and not too far from the beach.
Is Greenville crunchy though? I'd maybe suggest Clemson before Greenville, but I could be wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2014, 10:11 PM

2,523 posts, read 2,203,327 times
Grand Rapids MI

Old 03-08-2014, 05:35 AM

1,348 posts, read 3,099,314 times
Northampton Massachusetts has everything but the cheap rents.

Old 03-08-2014, 06:08 AM

6,353 posts, read 11,591,423 times
Greenville has a lot going for it but I don't think it's the right choice for the OP.

That 60K(?) population doesn't reflect the large and rapidly growing metro.

I suspect a crunchy person could make a good life there if they were following a job opportunity, but with a blank slate the OP could do better.

Best to find a quirky town in a depopulated area where rents are cheap.

Old 03-08-2014, 11:07 AM

93,332 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Is Greenville crunchy though? I'd maybe suggest Clemson before Greenville, but I could be wrong.
After doing some more research, Clemson looks like a good fit: Clemson Montessori School - Home

Brooks Center for the Performing Arts - Home
The Arts Center of Clemson | The online home of the Arts Center of Clemson.

Clemson SC — LocallyGrown.net

Old 03-08-2014, 11:18 AM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Jersey's out. We haven't seen rents that low since the 80s.

Vermont sounds perfect for you, if you don't mind the cold. It is beautiful, and you will find many others just like you.

Old 03-08-2014, 11:27 AM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Get_Glowing View Post
This Fall, I will be relocating…I just don't know to where, and could really use some advice!!

What I'm looking for:

- A "quirky" small city/town. I am not looking for anywhere with a "big city" vibe.
- A SAFE place to raise a kiddo, where you don't need a ton of money to feel safe or live in a "good" part of town.
- A vibrant cultural scene. Artists, good local restaurants and stores.
- Access to organic foods and a holistic lifestyle.
- People generally interested in wellness. Appreciation for nature, yoga, meditation/spirituality, nutrition.
- Good elementary schools. Montessori is a plus, but great public schools would be wonderful!
- A strong sense of community.
- Other "crunchy" parents, raising their children with an emphasis on a natural lifestyle.

I will be living on between $21,000-$30,000 a year. Looking for an affordable ($400-$500 a month rent), quality lifestyle. I am a professional baker/pastry chef who is looking to go back to school for holistic nutrition.

Any and all advice would be SO very appreciated! I would really like to focus on the Southeast, as that's the region our family is in, but am open to other areas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessgeek View Post
That is all great, but with a population of 234,000 the city is no longer small. The OP requested a small town.
The OP requested recommendation for a small town or city without a big city vibe. Winston Salem while having a population of 234K feels like small town and has the quirkiness as well. That's the great thing about this forum, it can open your eyes to the " non-obvious".

Old 03-09-2014, 02:12 PM

38 posts, read 45,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
Greenville has a lot going for it but I don't think it's the right choice for the OP.

That 60K(?) population doesn't reflect the large and rapidly growing metro.

I suspect a crunchy person could make a good life there if they were following a job opportunity, but with a blank slate the OP could do better.

Best to find a quirky town in a depopulated area where rents are cheap.
Your right about the crunchy people statement. Greenville does appear to be larger with more people migrating there. I think it's metro is around 842,000 plus, but that is over a wide range of land area. I used to live there and there are a lot of areas in/around the city that offers that small town feel with great home prices.

Old 03-09-2014, 02:19 PM

38 posts, read 45,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Greenville like all places has some crunchy suspect areas and people, but the good truly out weights the bad. This area is highly spoken about by locals, and many who visit seem to appreciate Greenville for what is has to offer. Clemson is nice also, but many residence there commute to Greenville for jobs, shopping, dinning, and entertainment.

Old 03-09-2014, 02:29 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthCharlotte704 View Post
Greenville, SC is a nice small city that is growing with a population of 60,709 and 26.1 sq. miles. It is nestled in the foothills of upstate SC with quick access to the mountains and not too far from the beach.
But it's not eclectic/eccentric. Asheville sounds like it's more the OP's speed, but it can be a little on the expensive side.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.