Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2014, 02:35 PM

6 posts, read 9,780 times

Advertisements

So I am sure that a variation of this question has been asked 100 times, but I would really like some real-life opinions.

I've been living in New York City my whole life and I am officially done. I want to move somewhere else and I've narrowed it down to a few cities but cannot decide. The top cities I would move to are St. Louis, Denver, Austin, or Charlotte, NC.

Here are some of the main factors I'm looking for:
1. The number one reason I'm leaving NYC is the price. It's out of control how expensive real estate is here. Even in the outer boroughs. I have a car so I actually don't mind not living exactly in the city center. I wouldn't mind living a little outside the city limits. I just want to make sure it's a safe neighborhood. If I could find an apartment in the $800 range, that would be amazing.
2. I know that when it comes to things to see and do, not many cities can compete with NY. I'm fine with that. But I do want a city that does have some sort of nightlife/culture to offer.
3. I will actually be working remotely for my current job so getting a new job wouldn't be a main priority. However, I would need to get more local work within the year. So I definitely want a city that has decent job opportunities.

Any suggestions on the best cities that fit this criteria? Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2014, 02:41 PM

93,285 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quite a few can fit, but is there any other criteria that could set certain cities apart from other cities?

Also, what kind of work would you be looking for?

Old 03-07-2014, 02:47 PM

I can't really think of any other particular criterias. The main thing is the rent prices. And that city has a decent variety of things to do. While I'm sick of New York, I couldn't move to a place that only has a handful of bars/restaurants to choose from.

Right now I'm working for a magazine. I definitely want to continue to do something in the media/publishing field.

Old 03-07-2014, 02:53 PM

What about cities such as Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Cleveland, Richmond, Columbus, Raleigh, Rochester, Indianapolis and Louisville, among others? There are more options and in pretty much any region, that have rentals for that price. So, that is why I was wondering about other criteria that you may prefer in a neighborhood/community/city/area.

Old 03-07-2014, 03:04 PM

I don't want to move North. I'm either going West or South. Actually here is another criteria I forgot to list: I'd prefer someplace that doesn't have such a brutal winter (that's why Buffalo is out). I can handle a somewhat cold winter but not below freezing for the entire season.

Also, I've been to Cleveland and I don't like it. It was dirty (no offense to anyone who actually lives there). NYC is such a dirty city so I want somewhere cleaner.

Old 03-07-2014, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontblink225 View Post
I don't want to move North. I'm either going West or South. Actually here is another criteria I forgot to list: I'd prefer someplace that doesn't have such a brutal winter (that's why Buffalo is out). I can handle a somewhat cold winter but not below freezing for the entire season.

Also, I've been to Cleveland and I don't like it. It was dirty (no offense to anyone who actually lives there). NYC is such a dirty city so I want somewhere cleaner.
Now, that helps narrow things down.

Old 03-07-2014, 07:32 PM

7,777 posts, read 10,158,094 times
I'll trade with ya!! haha, I'm ready for some dirty NYC for a few years, then trade back.

Seriously though, I'm not terribly familiar with your list of top cities. I've visited them all but don't know them well enough to say that they are good or bad choices. Based on cost, warm weather, nightlife, and cleanliness (I don't know about media/publishing), the places I'd recommend you look into are Atlanta, Nashville, Dallas, Houston and Tampa.

A lot of people compare ATL to NYC...and while they are vastly different in many ways, they do have similarities. And really the only obvious negatives to ATL in my opinion is the sprawl of the overall city and the horrible traffic. Working from home would alleviate most of that for you. Having a car makes up for the less than comprehensive public transit system (which is awful compared to NYC but really isn't that bad)

Nashville along with the rest of my suggestions is located in a state with no income tax. That's a nice perk! Nashville is a big enough city that it doesn't get boring. Nightlife is more or less focused on just a couple districts but I'd imagine it's enough for most people.

Dallas and Houston are both huge metropolises with pretty much anything you could want except great public transit. But that doesn't seem like it matters too much to you. Great diversity, but like Austin will get really hot in the summer.

Tampa/St Pete would be the option if you are intrigued by the laid back FL lifestyle and being on or close to the beach. Has the worst transit system of the bunch but great QOL at a low COL. And remember, like TN and TX, FL has no income tax.

Old 03-08-2014, 05:36 AM

27,202 posts, read 43,896,295 times
Given all of the criteria I would say Charlotte is the best option if wanting to avoid long winters/cold weather, wanting a cleaner city/overall environment, and a lower cost of living. Charlotte has a balanced four season climate (three months of each season) which is a nice break from NYC and different from your other options which tend more as two season climates.

Old 03-08-2014, 08:07 AM

1,359 posts, read 2,480,728 times
Austin has more media based employment by a long shot (Charlotte is more of a financial town, Denver has some media, and St Louis is lacking solely in that regard).

Outside of the employment angle, St. Louis is a lovely option.

Of your choices, Austin is the most expensive and St. Louis is the cheapest.

Old 03-08-2014, 03:25 PM

88,564 posts, read 84,755,078 times
OP, a woman I work with has a son who is going to college in Pittsburgh, so she and her husband have had to make a few trips out there, and she loves it. We all had an impression of Pittsburgh as this blighted, sad, rundown ex-steel-manufacturing city, but she says it's nothing like that--very vibrant and has a lot going for it.

We work in Jersey City and the city, and she is from Brooklyn. Her description of Pittsburgh has piqued my interest, and I'm thinking of going out there for a visit myself.

It's not warm there in winter, but it's not Buffalo, either!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.