Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2014, 09:58 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,988,455 times

Advertisements

Maybe this is just me, but a lot of people seem to like having "guest rooms" or an "office". Maybe this is because most of my close family lives in my state which is a small one so we don't travel more than 2 hours tops to see one another, but I rarely have guests come stay over, especially for a long enough period of time to require them to have their own bedroom in my home. If someone's staying over for a few days, we'll rearrange our sleeping arrangements so they get the master bedroom and we deal with being displaced for a few nights. It's not a big deal. I have a finished basement with a nice comfy couch and a bathroom nearby, people have no problems staying down there.

I watch House Hunters and other HGTV shows pretty often and I see young married couples buying homes, looking for at least 3 bedrooms, sometimes 4, (one for a future child and one guest room), an office space, a room just for a pool table and some games, blah blah. I don't have a guest bedroom or a specific office room in my house but we live just fine. I guess I just don't see the need for these extra rooms people seem to want, that rarely if ever get used. Granted, I would have no problems moving into a home with these extra rooms, and I like big homes, but I will tell you right now they will rarely be used.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2014, 10:04 PM

88,567 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Maybe this is just me, but a lot of people seem to like having "guest rooms" or an "office". Maybe this is because most of my close family lives in my state which is a small one so we don't travel more than 2 hours tops to see one another, but I rarely have guests come stay over, especially for a long enough period of time to require them to have their own bedroom in my home. If someone's staying over for a few days, we'll rearrange our sleeping arrangements so they get the master bedroom and we deal with being displaced for a few nights. It's not a big deal. I have a finished basement with a nice comfy couch and a bathroom nearby, people have no problems staying down there.

I watch House Hunters and other HGTV shows pretty often and I see young married couples buying homes, looking for at least 3 bedrooms, sometimes 4, (one for a future child and one guest room), an office space, a room just for a pool table and some games, blah blah. I don't have a guest bedroom or a specific office room in my house but we live just fine. I guess I just don't see the need for these extra rooms people seem to want, that rarely if ever get used. Granted, I would have no problems moving into a home with these extra rooms, and I like big homes, but I will tell you right now they will rarely be used.
I think it also depends upon how much time people spend actually hanging out in their houses. In the 3 BR I rented, it worked because my daughter was in high school and would have frequent sleepovers and would like to have the marching band over once or twice or other parties. I used the space I had. But now, why would I need all that? I work 10 - 12 hour days with three hours of commuting time. I'm only home a few hours a day, and I don't want to spend my entire weekend cleaning a lot of space I don't use.

If people have visitors a lot from out of town, or even if they entertain regularly, more space makes sense.

Old 03-09-2014, 01:39 AM

3,702 posts, read 4,850,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
Is anyone insulted by the comment that if you don't live in a 2 M home you are "living like a cockroach" ?
I glanced right over that. Nice! Must be some "internet BS'r" who like's to think he is so much above the rest of us.

When thinking about it, 2 million dollars for a house? He is just talking BS as anybody who really has that much to spend on a house isn't going to question us peons on city data or any other forum. He is either some 40 year old living in mom's basement or some kid who wants to "impress".

Old 03-09-2014, 03:25 AM

391 posts, read 753,893 times
After thinking about it I realize that I'm the dofus here. Of course a house is going to have 4 or 5 bedrooms. I don't think I've ever been in a house that has less bedrooms than that. I think I'm just used to looking at condo's.

Thanks for the replies.

Old 03-09-2014, 03:43 AM

4,939 posts, read 3,314,385 times
Not to start a new thread but what is up with all the bathrooms in those big houses ?

Old 03-09-2014, 10:17 AM

88,567 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerys52SoSilver View Post
Not to start a new thread but what is up with all the bathrooms in those big houses ?
And do you buy a toilet bowl brush for each one?

Old 03-09-2014, 10:32 AM

24,529 posts, read 10,846,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerys52SoSilver View Post
Do you enjoy sharing bath and toilet with others? I remember what it was like to live in a house with three women and one bath/toilet.

Old 03-09-2014, 10:56 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,353,110 times
It is relative to the average house size and density of the area.

In densely populated cities As various as NYC and Seattle, you can find luxury housing, very expensive, with two or three bedrooms. Out on the plains of Texas or the outskirts of Atlanta, you can find expensive McMansions with six bedrooms.

Low property values are probably the driver of how much space can be alloted for a given house cost. Cheap land, bigger house. Expensive land, smaller house.

Old 03-09-2014, 11:18 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post

You mean YOU wouldn't use them often, and that's fine.

We have not one, but TWO guest rooms, and an office (we have a four bedroom house and our last child just went off to college a few months ago). We use them all, regularly. We have five grown kids, seven grandkids, four elderly parents, several brothers (and spouses) between us, and then I have a slew of girlfriends who still live thirty miles away in the town I lived in for twenty five years prior to moving here 8 years ago.

This all translates into LOTS of overnight company, sometimes filling up both guest rooms. In fact, we have overnight guests several times a month. I love being able to stay in my own bedroom and allow our guests the comfort of that separate wing of the house, with their own spacious bathroom, their own TV, etc.

I especially love having my girlfriends spend the night. We can stay up late, drink a couple of bottles of wine, laugh and have a great time, and then they don't have to drive home.

When my elderly parents visit, they each have their own room, which is nice because they do not share a bedroom in their own home.

Occasionally my husband snores, and if it bothers me too much, I will get up and go crawl into that comfortable bed in the guest room.

One guest room has a cabinet with toys in it, as well as shelves in the walk in closet that hold more toys and books for our grandchildren. They love that, and we love allowing them to pull that stuff out without messing up the whole house.

As for the office, we are self employed, so we need and use that office space.

So you see, while not an absolute necessity (I guess we could live in a smaller house and use air mattresses), different families have different needs, and there are plenty of families who would and do use those extra rooms.

I'm glad we live in Texas where housing prices are reasonable and we can have and enjoy a spacious home with plenty of comfort for ourselves and our guests. And before anyone says it, no, we don't live in a McMansion. We have a custom built, 4 bdrm, 2500 square foot home. Very nice finishes and amenities but nothing opulent. And it's built very well, in a quiet neighborhood of homes built slowly over the past 30 years.

Old 03-09-2014, 11:26 AM

6,350 posts, read 11,589,402 times
Quote:
Of course a house is going to have 4 or 5 bedrooms. I don't think I've ever been in a house that has less bedrooms than that.
The OP would be shocked, shocked I tell you, to discover there are plenty of houses with 2-3 BRs. Some only have one!. If he really wants to shock his system he needs to peruse the tiny house blog.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.