Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2007, 08:39 AM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,683,084 times

Advertisements

^^It sounds like the OP's current university only has reciprocity/exchange/study-abroad agreements with certain U.S. universities so he would need to stick to the list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2007, 09:30 AM

5 posts, read 10,919 times
That's right
I can only choose in the list I showed you. :/

Perhaps I will be abble to study where I want for my master if I decide to change university but I don't know yet
For the moment it's just a exchange with my french university (Bs Computer Science).

Old 12-05-2007, 09:41 AM

6,175 posts, read 12,936,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdave01 View Post
Do you tend to be more liberal or conservative? Most of the cities you have chosen tend to be on the conservative side. <SNIP
Good luck.
I'v very interested in exploring this comment, but I don't want to hijack the thread, so I'm starting a new one. "How does political leaning affect daily life?"

Old 12-05-2007, 10:01 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leyou View Post
Hello !

I'm french and I will study one year in USA for my bachelor of computer science.
But, I would like to know more about some cities and universities.

Please let met your feeling, good or bad, about them (regions, cities or universities) :
Lincoln (Nebraska) : University of Nebraska--Lincoln
Very midwestern (not necessarily bad) agriculture school

Lexington (Kentucky) : University of Kentucky
Baton Rouge (Louisiana) : Louisiana State University
Salt Lake City (Utah) : University of Utah
Gorgeous setting, near the mountains. Study up on the LDS religion before you go there. It is predominant in that state although the U. of Utah is a state school. Close to many outdoor activities such as skiing, hiking.

Manhattan (Kansas) : Kansas State University
Lawrence (Kansas) : University of Kansas
Norfolk (Virginia) : Old Dominion University
Knoxville (Tennessee) : University of Tennessee Knoxville
Las Cruces (New Mexico) : New Mexico State University
Raleigh (N. Carolina) : N. Carolina State University Raleigh
Blacksburg (Virginia) : Virginia Polytechnic & State University
Ames (Iowa) : Iowa State University
Midwestern fairly small city. Far from any larger cities.

Pullman (Washington) : Washington State University

Thanks a lot for your answers !!
I don't know anything about the others. Hope this helps!

Old 12-05-2007, 01:13 PM

2,126 posts, read 6,802,659 times
Many of the cities you've listed are pure college towns. Salt Lake City, Norfolk and Raleigh are probably the biggest cities. Baton Rouge, Lexington and Knoxville are medium sized cities where the university plays a big role. I'll tell you about the ones I'm familiar with:

Lexington (UK): I am extremely familiar with Lexington and UK. PM me if you are seriously interested in Lexington, I will be happy to give you any information. Set amid rolling horse farms. Medium sized city of about 250,000. Short drive to larger cities such as Louisville or Cincinnati. Nice downtown area with some nice bars, restaurants, social events. Campus is on the south side of downtown, so you are basically in the middle of the city.

Norfolk (ODU): Don't know much about the university. 20 minutes from VA Beach. Lots of stuff going on in the warmer months, seems kind of dead in the colder months. Military personnel are EVERYWHERE because there is a high concentration of military bases in the area. This is neither good or bad, but in some ways it defines the culture of the area. High crime in parts of Norfolk and VA Beach, some very nice areas as well. Great seafood is everywhere.

Raleigh (NCSU): Right in the middle of Raleigh. Some very nice neighborhoods in the area. Campus is not particularly pretty IMO. Raleigh/Chapel Hill/Durham has a high tech, highly educated population with lots of college students and young professionals. You are about 2-3 hours from the mountains and 2 hours from the beaches.

Las Cruces (NMSU): I don't know much about the university, but the desert scenery is gorgeous. White Sands National Monument is nearby. The Organ Mountains are next door. The Sacramento Mountains are not far away. Lots of outdoors activities available.

Blacksburg (VT): Virginia Tech probably has the best reputation both nationally and internationally in engineering and sciences of all the schools you listed. It sits right in the mountains of western Virginia, so outdoors activities will be very available.

Old 12-05-2007, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdave01 View Post
Do you tend to be more liberal or conservative? Most of the cities you have chosen tend to be on the conservative side.
I don't really agree with this. While most of the universities he listed are in conservative leaning states, almost all towns that are dominated by a large university are pretty liberal, almost across the board.

Old 12-05-2007, 04:10 PM

5 posts, read 10,919 times
>> Study up on the LDS religion before you go there. It is predominant in that state although the U. of Utah is a state school.

I've seen that 50% of peoples are affilied to LDS religion in Utah... I don't know mormons very well, but the mentality seems particular :/.
I don't like very much religion stuff... :/

Else, I've just seen that I could apply to this university too :
University of Iowa (Iowa City)
San Jose State University (San Jose)
San Diego State University (San Diego)

California interest me but I'm not sure this two universities have good reputation.

Old 12-05-2007, 04:46 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
>> Study up on the LDS religion before you go there. It is predominant in that state although the U. of Utah is a state school.

I've seen that 50% of peoples are affilied to LDS religion in Utah... I don't know mormons very well, but the mentality seems particular :/.

It might not be the school for you then. But the other 50% will be very diverse.

Good school. Not much of a town, in my opinion (I'm sure there are those who disagree!)

California interest me but I'm not sure this two universities have good reputation.
I"m not real familiar with the California schools.

Old 12-05-2007, 07:50 PM

Quote:

I think they both have good reputations. In general, the state of California university system is excellent. I would say they are on par with the other universities you listed, except perhaps VA Tech when it comes to the sciences. The California experience would be very nice, especially if you are only going to be in the states for 1 year.

Old 12-05-2007, 08:31 PM

15,859 posts, read 21,436,084 times
It depends on what you mean by good reputation. Of the schools you listed, the only school I would pick out as a school worth traveling to is Virginia Tech. Most of the others seem to be largely flagship state universities which means mostly students from in-state will be there. That is not completely 100 true across the board, but that's just what I got out of them while doing my own college search which was not limited to any part in the country. None of the schools besides Virginia Tech (I think..) is in the top 100 universities in the country. Not that that necessarily means anything, but it might be something to consider if you are concerned about reputation and prestige.

One thing about many of those cities (specifically thinking about the University of Nebraska) is that it would be very difficult to get around town without a car. Lincoln has a bus system but according to the friend I stayed with when I was in Lincoln, few people use it and it isn't very efficient. Lincoln isn't so much a "city" in the traditional sense as it is a sprawling suburban type area.

Football (American) culture is very big in most of the schools as well. Most of them would be labeled as "party" schools too (LSU, University of Iowa, UNL, UK, Tennessee, NC State, Kansas State). LSU consistently ranks among the top party schools in the country. They all more or less fit the typical American stereotype of colleges where you party hard, go to football games, and join sororities and fraternities. Not everyone is like that of course, but people go to these schools more for the "typical college experience" more than the towns that they are in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.