U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2007, 08:03 AM

884 posts, read 110,811 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post
Currently Chicago.
Do you work for the CIA or something? You are awfully mysterious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2007, 09:36 AM

369 posts, read 1,316,380 times
I don't live in a skyscraper but would if I could have a big terrace or balcony and could be on about the 6th or 8th floor. I'd like to be high enough for a view but low enough to see the trees, people, etc. on the ground. I'd like to try it one once the kids are grown.

A friend lives in one in Dallas and about the only complaint she has is that sometimes she can smell cooking odors from another unit. Her building is very expensive (great neighborhood, doorman, killer views, etc.) but it's an older one so it makes me wonder if newer buildings have better ventilation systems to handle problems like this. They probably do.

Old 12-05-2007, 12:38 PM

4,386 posts, read 11,654,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post
Currently Chicago.
Thank you! you're soooo lucky!! I would kill to live in a skyscraper!

Old 12-05-2007, 12:57 PM

8,182 posts, read 11,525,657 times
God NO!!!!
That means I'd have to live in a large city.....{{{{{{shudders}}}}}}.

Old 12-05-2007, 07:10 PM

2,778 posts, read 5,481,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Oh you mean one of those human filing cabinets?

The first thing I think of is imagine bringing home just enough grocery bags that require several trips? Man that could take all night.

And like some one mentioned. Dogs. They do come first. Having a dog in one of those human filing cabinets is cruel.
See, the entire point of living in a city is that you didn't want to spend all of your time in your home. When I do go shopping for groceries, I carpool with friends and we load up like crazy. We stop, drop the groceries off with our various doormen to have them sent up to our room, and then we continue.

Otherwise, I just go out to eat at one of the multiple restaurants/health clubs in my skyscraper I have gyms, restaurants, fast food joints, and all sorts of retail in this building alone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kt2le View Post
I don't live in a skyscraper but would if I could have a big terrace or balcony and could be on about the 6th or 8th floor. I'd like to be high enough for a view but low enough to see the trees, people, etc. on the ground. I'd like to try it one once the kids are grown.
I'm not big on ground views. I like my view of the lake.

Quote:
A friend lives in one in Dallas and about the only complaint she has is that sometimes she can smell cooking odors from another unit. Her building is very expensive (great neighborhood, doorman, killer views, etc.) but it's an older one so it makes me wonder if newer buildings have better ventilation systems to handle problems like this. They probably do.
Some buildings yes, others no.

Old 12-05-2007, 10:41 PM

72 posts, read 192,716 times
Live in one? While I love the views, I'd be dependent on an elevator or in an emergency many flights of stairs. In Taiwan I lived on the 14th floor and the elevator was shut down one of the days I went shopping. Not a fun experience going up or down. One of my friends was trapped in his 12th floor apartment during an earthquake and saw the horizon swaying back and forth. Can you imagine the nightmare of evacuating a residential skyscraper? I love skyscrapers, but would rather work in one instead of live in one.

Old 12-05-2007, 11:31 PM

18,051 posts, read 23,090,682 times
I absolutely hate heights. But my company is sending me to Taiwan. The place they put us up in is 86 story's tall or something like that. Taiwan has a LOT of earthquakes. But because the company only pays so much (the hotel charges by floor, the higher you go, the cheaper it is) I'm going to end up on something I really don't want. haha I can handle, 9 or 10 floors. Lower if there's going to be earthquakes. I would kind of like to scoot outdoors should the building start shaking.

Course, my buddy is already over there. He don't care. So he's been sending me video's of his room shaking and the lamps falling off tables just to raz me.

Now I don't want to go. hahahaha He's on like the 38'th floor. Said he actually ended up outside in his underwear because one quake got more then he could take. Course, he was standing outside holding the company laptop he was responsible for. Didn't have his passport, but damn sure had that laptop.

Old 12-05-2007, 11:55 PM

2,506 posts, read 5,910,707 times
I would also be scared ****less in an older high-rise; but modern engineering of those super-talls is safer than any stick-frame house in an earthquake zone. I would rather be in the Transamerica Tower than the Coit Tower or The Haight when the big one hits San Francisco.

Old 12-17-2007, 06:17 PM

129 posts, read 313,388 times
"High-rise living takes people away from the ground, and away from the casual, everyday society that occurs on the sidewalks and streets and on the gardens and porches. It leaves them alone in their apartments. The decision to go out for some public life becomes formal and awakward; and unless there is some specific task which brings people out in the world, the tendency is to stay home, alone. .... At three or four stories, one can still walk comfortably down to the street, and from a window you can still feel part of the street scene: you can see details in the street--the people, their faces, foliage, shops. From three stories you can yell out, and catch the attention of someone below. Above four stories these connections break down. The visual detail is lost; people speak of ther scene below as if it were a game, from which they are completely detached. The connection to the ground and to the fabric of the town becomes tenuous; the building becomes a world of its own..."

-- C. Alexander

Old 12-17-2007, 07:10 PM

1,140 posts, read 3,182,088 times
I would love to. I am saving up right now, maybe in a few years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.