Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2014, 01:21 PM

1,351 posts, read 2,130,054 times

Advertisements

Another vote for Portland. I'm liberal (and from Austin!!) and those folks (in general) are something else. To me, being liberal means being open to divergent viewpoints, and treating others with respect and kindness. I can tolerate anyone who treats others with respect and dignity. I found Portland to be snobbishly liberal and excruciatingly single-minded.

Old 03-17-2014, 01:34 PM

27,558 posts, read 28,652,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
What would be the most extreme in-your-face liberal elitist city in the U.S.? I'm not talking about which cities have the most Democratic representation in Congress or received the most Democratic votes. I'm talking about a city that just gives off a seriously liberal vibe from simply driving or walking through it, and is a stronghold for liberal elitists. I have some guesses:

Cambridge, MA
Boston, MA
Washington, DC
Burlington, VT
San Francisco, CA
Austin, TX
New York, NY
Denver, CO
Portland, OR
Asheville, NC
Detroit, MI
New Haven, CT
Northampton, MA
If your politics is conservative, then I'd say you'd be "uncomfortable" living in Washington, D.C. and most of central Maryland - such as Montgomery County, Howard County, Prince George's County, Baltimore and surrounding areas. You might fare a little better in Northern Virginia, but not by much.

The environment is pretty thoroughly liberal here. Even cars with Republican bumper stickers seem out of place, get stared at, etc. It's not considered to be a legitimate political philosophy by the majority.

For the record, I consider myself to be middle of the road in politics.

Old 03-17-2014, 06:27 PM

23,527 posts, read 24,011,889 times
Berkeley, San Francisco, West Hollywood, Austin, Seattle, Portland (Oregon)

Old 03-17-2014, 07:12 PM

6,807 posts, read 6,038,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
What would be the most extreme in-your-face liberal elitist city in the U.S.? I'm not talking about which cities have the most Democratic representation in Congress or received the most Democratic votes. I'm talking about a city that just gives off a seriously liberal vibe from simply driving or walking through it, and is a stronghold for liberal elitists. I have some guesses:

Cambridge, MA
Boston, MA
Washington, DC
Burlington, VT
San Francisco, CA
Austin, TX
New York, NY
Denver, CO
Portland, OR
Asheville, NC
Detroit, MI
New Haven, CT
Northampton, MA
I also don't think Boston should be on this list.

The city does tend to lean toward the liberal side of things more often than not. And there are parts of parts of the city where there might be some in-your-face type liberals (Allston & JP?). But on the other hand there are some parts of parts of the city that might not act totally liberal every once and awhile (see the whole LGBTQ/St. Patrick's Day Parade controversy).

The people's republic of Cambridge, however......well that's a different story

I'd also add that "liberal" is not always synonymous with "elitist"...

Last edited by Boston Shudra; 03-17-2014 at 07:23 PM..

Old 03-17-2014, 08:21 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LastExitToTrenton View Post
Denver doesn't belong on that list, either. Boulder, maybe, but Denver never felt in-your-face the way Portland, Oregon did. You could maybe throw Portland Maine on there, too.
I agree about Denver, and not even Boulder would be " "THE" most extreme. . . . ".

Old 03-17-2014, 10:06 PM

4,472 posts, read 3,824,488 times
Seattle

Old 03-18-2014, 10:21 AM

7,072 posts, read 9,615,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
This thread is offensive and should be closed. Unless you want me to start one about which city has the most backward, close-minded, reactionary right-wingers who want to take away all your rights (except owning a gun and worshiping Jesus as the one and only god).

That is funny. It is the perceived liberal cities that pass laws taking away rights from the working class.

Old 03-18-2014, 01:49 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,255,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
That is funny. It is the perceived liberal cities that pass laws taking away rights from the working class.
That's an interesting claim. Would you be able to offer links to a few examples which have driven you to this conclusion?

I ask because I've generally found the counter to be true. For example, the list of municipalities which mandate "living wages" higher than the national minimum wage tends to include more of the liberal "usual suspects": http://www.nelp.org/page/-/Justice/2...AL.pdf?nocdn=1. Noticeably missing from this list are several large cities typically considered more politically and culturally conservative.

Last edited by Pine to Vine; 03-18-2014 at 02:04 PM.. Reason: correct typos

Old 03-18-2014, 02:08 PM

27,558 posts, read 28,652,113 times
Several years ago, I remember there was a dude from Portland, Oregon (I think) who was visiting Washington, DC and he tried to do the naked bicycle thing. Well, the cops simply stopped him and told him to go home. lol.

So, I guess DC has not quite reached that level of "wacky" liberal yet. There is a lot of talk about legalizing cannabis though. That might happen within a few years.

Old 03-18-2014, 06:46 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,570,868 times
San Francisco, easily.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.