Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2007, 11:59 AM

4,009 posts, read 5,732,811 times

Advertisements

Texas has no state tax but they get you with their high property taxes.
Again, Louisville or Pittsburgh are better choices.
Write down all three cities and make a pros and cons list after doing some research on what you want. I'm sure San Antonio will not come close to what these other two cities have to offer. Good luck on your quest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2007, 12:06 PM

2,744 posts, read 6,111,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerby W-R View Post
Texas has no state tax but they get you with their high property taxes.
Again, Louisville or Pittsburgh are better choices.
Write down all three cities and make a pros and cons list after doing some research on what you want. I'm sure San Antonio will not come close to what these other two cities have to offer. Good luck on your quest.

Lousiville is not in the same league as San Antonio or Pittsburgh overall. When Louisville gains 800,000 too 1,000,000 more people then maybe it can compete.

Last edited by SweethomeSanAntonio; 12-07-2007 at 12:22 PM..

Old 12-07-2007, 12:57 PM

I'm not knocking Louisville, i'm sure it has a lot to offer but San Antonio and Pittsburgh are both in the 2 million range, Louisville metro(1.25 mill) is much smaller. San Antonio city limits has more people than Louisvile and all its surrounding counties. So when you say, Louisville has more to offer, is unrealistic imo.

Old 12-07-2007, 02:45 PM

3,198 posts, read 12,713,816 times
I vote San Antonio #1 (great, great underrated city), Louisville #2 (another good underrated city) and Pittsburgh #3. I actually really like P-Burgh too. I just really think SA is one of the great US cities with awesome weather...and Louisville too.

Old 12-07-2007, 02:49 PM

Default A large population does not make a city better...

It certainly hasn't in San Antonio's case.
The traffic in San Antonio is horrible. The 90's saw San Antonio as one
of the largest gang related violence cities in America. It has improved
albeit to a minor degree. They continue to build over their ever fragile water
supply [the Edwards Aquifer]. The news media is controlled by the right-wing
and everyone is in lock step to their march backwards.
I would not wish San Antonio on anyone. That would be cruel.

Old 12-07-2007, 04:04 PM

Quote:

The polictical views might be mostly right wing in Texas, this is Bush country. However not all San Antonio leans this way. San Antonio has it's liberal side. For the chief of Police to have a major role in San Antonio's Gay pride parade, should say something about the city.

Acutually several major publications, have labled San Antonio as one of the safer large cities in the country.There are gangs in San Antonio, but all cities have them. A new resident won't have a problem, if they chose the right area to live at.

Old 12-07-2007, 07:29 PM

83 posts, read 280,005 times
Thanks everyone for responding....still getting different ideas but have not decided yet.

Geog 101

Old 12-07-2007, 08:15 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,608,316 times
From one gay male to another, I'd honestly choose Pittsburgh. Approximately 1/3 of the city holds at least a Bachelor's Degree, and more often than not cities with higher levels of educational attainment tend to be more open-minded towards other cultures after having studied them and experienced them a bit more. Cities with a higher population of folks with no degree tend to also have a higher percentage of folks who haven't experienced or studied many other cultures to learn enough about them to look at them with a more open mind. Pittsburgh is inarguably more of a beacon for higher education that either Louisville or San Antonio. Even though Pittsburgh is relatively small, at just over 300,000 residents (and still declining), it packs quite a cultural punch with a lot of nice museums, theaters, Philharmonic, professional sports, etc. I live in the opposite corner of the state near Scranton, another up-and-coming city nearer to New York City, but I try to make pilgrimages to visit Pittsburgh whenever possible.

I've never been to Louisville, but based upon everything I've studied about it, it certainly gives Pittsburgh a decent run for its money. I'd still give the edge to Pittsburgh though simply because it seems to have progressed more in recent years socially than Louisville has (even though there's still plenty of time to catch up). As far as San Antonio is concerned I'm honestly not very familiar with it.

Here's a few images of Pittsburgh:

http://www.umc.pitt.edu/tour/images/bigphotots/photo-tour-217-big.jpg (broken link)
http://www.whoswhopublishing.com/sections/black_pittsburgh/images/PittsburghSkyline.gif (broken link)

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/mets/docs/images/stadiumview.jpg (broken link)

The only downside about a move to Pittsburgh would be that there is currently discussion about a new amendment to the state constitution that would permanetly ban both same-sex marriage and same-sex civil unions. Pennsylvanians aren't quite as "progressive" as the rest of the Northeastern states, which can be a drawback at times. However, a positive sign would be a recent poll I assembled on the PA forum about this very same issue in which the vast majority of folks are voting against the passage of such an amendment, possibly indicating that if and when this issue hits the real polls in 2010 or so it might be struck down by voters in PA.

Last edited by SteelCityRising; 12-07-2007 at 08:38 PM.. Reason: Addition

Old 12-07-2007, 08:32 PM

4,147 posts, read 8,001,693 times
Quote:

Look up some survey San Antonio is one of the safest citys in America. Often voted best place to raise you family. Actually the water supply is not as vulnerable as everyone thinks. We have never been even close to water restrictions for lack of water. We go on water restrictions to protect salamanders in the comal river. That happens at 550 feet. When the average of the aquifer is in the low 600's. We have plenty of water and idk if you keep up with news but the water and sewer company SAWS will not extend there water lines or sewer to prevent growth over the aquifer so think again.

Old 12-07-2007, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrantonWilkesBarre View Post
From one gay male to another, I'd honestly choose Pittsburgh. Approximately 1/3 of the city holds at least a Bachelor's Degree, and more often than not cities with higher levels of educational attainment tend to be more open-minded towards other cultures after having studied them and experienced them a bit more. Cities with a higher population of folks with no degree tend to also have a higher percentage of folks who haven't experienced or studied many other cultures to learn enough about them to look at them with a more open mind. Pittsburgh is inarguably more of a beacon for higher education that either Louisville or San Antonio. Even though Pittsburgh is relatively small, at just over 300,000 residents (and still declining), it packs quite a cultural punch with a lot of nice museums, theaters, Philharmonic, professional sports, etc. I live in the opposite corner of the state near Scranton, another up-and-coming city nearer to New York City, but I try to make pilgrimages to visit Pittsburgh whenever possible.

I've never been to Louisville, but based upon everything I've studied about it, it certainly gives Pittsburgh a decent run for its money. I'd still give the edge to Pittsburgh though simply because it seems to have progressed more in recent years socially than Louisville has (even though there's still plenty of time to catch up). As far as San Antonio is concerned I'm honestly not very familiar with it.

Here's a few images of Pittsburgh:

http://www.umc.pitt.edu/tour/images/bigphotots/photo-tour-217-big.jpg (broken link)
http://www.whoswhopublishing.com/sections/black_pittsburgh/images/PittsburghSkyline.gif (broken link)

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/mets/docs/images/stadiumview.jpg (broken link)

The only downside about a move to Pittsburgh would be that there is currently discussion about a new amendment to the state constitution that would permanetly ban both same-sex marriage and same-sex civil unions. Pennsylvanians aren't quite as "progressive" as the rest of the Northeastern states, which can be a drawback at times. However, a positive sign would be a recent poll I assembled on the PA forum about this very same issue in which the vast majority of folks are voting against the passage of such an amendment, possibly indicating that if and when this issue hits the real polls in 2010 or so it might be struck down by voters in PA.
Great photos of Pittsburgh. It's truly a beautiful city with a great cultural scene.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.