Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2007, 11:18 AM

3,742 posts, read 8,396,136 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittnurse70 View Post
I can see why it would remind you of St. Louis ajf, it's on three rivers and St. L. is on one. The issue of whether it is midwest or east is debated a lot; most people feel it is east. It's sort of like your feelings about Missouri being midwest or south. Pennsylvania is an eastern state. A city in PA is therefore eastern. I grew up in that area, about 15 miles from Ohio, and we considered ourselves Pennsylvanians, though we never thought much about east vs midwest. I think most of us would have said 'east' if we were asked where Pennsylvania, and thus the Pittsburgh area, was located in the scheme of things. I can tell you the people in the midwest think it's east. The economy is a negative factor, for sure.
Technically, St. Louis is on two rivers, not one...the Missouri and Mississippi. Downtown may be only on the Mississippi, but the Missouri River forms the northern and western border of St. Louis County. Where it meets the Mississippi is just 15 miles north of downtown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2007, 12:20 PM

2,703 posts, read 3,417,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post
How could you say such a thing? Lol. I still say San Antonio.
Pittsburgh is an awesome city. Look at these photos.

Old 12-09-2007, 12:28 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
It's true that Pgh. is losing population, and I'm not sure why.
It's the job situation. Only go there if you already have a job lined up. Otherwise, you may spend quite a bit of your savings until you find one or give up trying.

Old 12-09-2007, 05:56 PM

3,073 posts, read 11,575,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerilla View Post
Pittsburgh is an awesome city. Look at these photos.
I've seen more than enough pictures of Pittsburgh, and I still don't get it.

Old 12-09-2007, 07:58 PM

4,383 posts, read 16,766,060 times
^ you need to go there than! The Neighborhoods are so unique and its just such an amazing place that you need to experience in person

Old 12-09-2007, 08:53 PM

2,703 posts, read 3,417,385 times
The hills are also amazing. Bigger than the one's in SA actually. You can be standing on a 800 foot hill, but look up at a 1,000+ foot hill.

Old 12-09-2007, 11:07 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
I just was on Google Earth, and the highest elevation I found for Pittsburgh was 1250 feet. The lowest is about 700 ft. at the Point. So there are no 1000 foot hills; the highest would be about 550 feet.

Old 12-09-2007, 11:21 PM

4,147 posts, read 8,002,235 times
I guess we need more direction from the thread starter. Climate i like my warm sumers and mild winter here in sa. Job and overall growth also San Antonio. From all the picture looks like it is a bit greener in Pittsburgh.

Old 12-10-2007, 02:52 AM

3,742 posts, read 8,396,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittnurse70 View Post
I can see why it would remind you of St. Louis ajf, it's on three rivers and St. L. is on one. The issue of whether it is midwest or east is debated a lot; most people feel it is east. It's sort of like your feelings about Missouri being midwest or south. Pennsylvania is an eastern state. A city in PA is therefore eastern. I grew up in that area, about 15 miles from Ohio, and we considered ourselves Pennsylvanians, though we never thought much about east vs midwest. I think most of us would have said 'east' if we were asked where Pennsylvania, and thus the Pittsburgh area, was located in the scheme of things. I can tell you the people in the midwest think it's east. The economy is a negative factor, for sure.
St. Louis and Pittsburgh also have/had very similar industries to one another, although St. Louis is certainly doing better now than Pittsburgh. There were and still are steel mills operating here, though most people don't believe they exist....they exist mainly in the rural outskirts of North St. Louis...both industrial manufacturing giants at one time that were destinations of African Americans leaving the South for better job opportunities. Both experienced the rustbelt decline from white flight into their suburbs and drying up of their economies, though St. Louis is certainly in much better shape in terms of its economy than Pittsburgh and gaining population in its metro and city limits as of seven years ago. Both of similar size. Only difference is that Pittsburgh is a bit snowier in the winters and that, like you said, is usually considered Northeastern, whereas St. Louis is considered Midwestern.

Old 12-10-2007, 04:57 AM

5,864 posts, read 15,244,428 times
I would definately choose Pittsburgh. IMO it's architecturally the most beautiful. Love the hills, the compact size, its downtown is pretty cool, great parks, beautiful old homes and is the most walkable. San Antonio has nice parts but it has that typical Texas city sprawl and the summer heat and humidity is totally unbearable. Second choice would be a coin toss.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.