Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2014, 01:56 PM

18 posts, read 16,212 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scratchie View Post
If you're looking for something similar in size, you're basically talking about New York, LA and Houston. With Chicago, those are the cities over two million in the USA. Of those, only New York is really livable without a car, AFAIK (although I do have a friend who lives without a car in LA, so it's physically possible).
Good point. Thank you. Basically my boyfriend and I trying to find a balance between what he's most looking for in a city and what I am.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2014, 01:57 PM

Thanks. I have seen these, by the way. It's just kind of hard to judge how useful or efficient a transit system is from Wiki. Will look these over again though.

Old 03-23-2014, 02:27 PM

5,525 posts, read 13,944,069 times
Another useful stat would be percentage of car-free households on metro/city.

Old 03-23-2014, 02:35 PM

413 posts, read 789,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seaghost View Post
Thanks. I have seen these, by the way. It's just kind of hard to judge how useful or efficient a transit system is from Wiki. Will look these over again though.
Walk Score/Transit Score has you covered

Old 03-23-2014, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakparkdude View Post
Another useful stat would be percentage of car-free households on metro/city.
Thanks! Would you by any chance have a link to something like this? Otherwise I'm sure Google could unearth something too.

Old 03-23-2014, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bowen View Post

I've actually been looking at Walk Score quite a bit, it's just interesting that even the high scoring cites only have a Transit Score of 50-60 and even lower Bike Scores. Though I guess that's pretty much par for the course in North America right now. It's definitely a good way to sort things given that our current zip has a Walk Score of 42.

Old 03-23-2014, 04:54 PM

Ah, never mind. For those interested:

List of U.S. cities with most households without a car - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-23-2014, 04:56 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,888,203 times
Check out a place like Bella Vista in Philadelphia - just one thought but is where I live

Lots of diversity (recently a lot of Vietnamese (Pho) and Mexicans added to a historically Italian and now becoming more young family and hispters), great restaurants, bars etc. Pretty interesting mix of people and cultures.

Very walkable, bikeable, and great PT

Biggest downside based on your criteria is direct access to outdoor activities (no shortage of great biking though in the urban form or into Fairmont Park) - none of which are really that far.

Best of luck in your search

910 South 10th Street, Philadelphia PA - Walk Score

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXQIPANw6zA

Also Center City is right next door and the other ways are Queen Village or Passyunk Sq (just got voted by Food and Wine as one of the 10 best Foodie streets in America)

Anyway best of luck

Old 03-23-2014, 05:22 PM

5,525 posts, read 13,944,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seaghost View Post
I've actually been looking at Walk Score quite a bit, it's just interesting that even the high scoring cites only have a Transit Score of 50-60 and even lower Bike Scores. Though I guess that's pretty much par for the course in North America right now. It's definitely a good way to sort things given that our current zip has a Walk Score of 42.
You don't need the entire city to have a 90+ walk score. If you want that, move to the Netherlands.

You just need to find a large enough contiguous area with a high walk score. For example, having only a 1 square mile of 90+ walk score probably won't be sufficient, but 20 square miles of 90+ walk score probably will have enough "critical mass" to supply all your daily needs without having to leave that area.

Also the availability of a car-sharing service (like zip car) is very helpful and a good sign that there are many car-free people in the area.

Old 03-23-2014, 11:37 PM

7,775 posts, read 10,152,240 times
yeah I was definitely thinking Chicago for you as well. If you're used to the weather then that's even better!

To get far away, all the major cities in the Northeast (Boston, NYC, Philly, DC) have excellent transit and diverse neighborhoods. Seattle, Portland, SF are your best bets out west. In the south you could possibly make it work in Atlanta, Dallas, Houston or Charlotte, but you'd need to get lucky with job location and you'd still feel a bit trapped without a car (This is true of LA as well). Maybe Denver too but I don't know it well enough to say.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.