Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2014, 11:17 AM

103 posts, read 128,926 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post

I wonder if all those mixed-race children in my parent's Southern Baptist church in suburban Atlanta know that their mommas and daddy's don't look anything alike.
SHHHHH... We told them their mama was just light skin. haha
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2014, 11:31 AM

103 posts, read 128,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstick View Post
Speak for yourself man not 6 million people,,,geesh. I have many interracial couple friends here in Atlanta, gay and straight, and they have NEVER had any issues at all. I have an Indian man married to a blonde woman both very happy.
Some of these people sound like the typical liberal that has never lived in a southern city and that watches too much MSNBC .lol I hear a lot of liberals say the same crap about Atlanta interracial dating scene . Even in Seattle I heard a girl say that. Watching fox news may lower your IQ but watching MSNBC will make you believe the whole world is one big KKK meeting waiting for you step outside your house. haha.

There are interracial couples in Atlanta and no they haven't been stoned or anything . haha Is Seattle NYC and Cali better for interracial dating ? OF course but please stop acting like Atlanta is stuck in the 60s. lol You can find anything in Atlanta. Sometimes people confuse racism with people not liking who you are as a person. lol Some people are just not likeable.

Old 05-14-2014, 03:29 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,201,724 times
Honolulu
Miami
Chicago
Washington DC
Philadelphia

Maybe the following:
Boston
Seattle
Portland

Old 05-15-2014, 02:04 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,028,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
Honolulu
Miami
Chicago
Washington DC
Philadelphia

Maybe the following:
Boston
Seattle
Portland
Honolulu? Really? With all of the hatred mainlanders? It doesn't seem like a very tolerant place to me. Boston is another one that has some deep-seeded race issues.

Old 05-16-2014, 01:30 PM

51 posts, read 135,769 times
I never said Atlanta was stuck in the 60s but it is not progressive to the point where a couple that involves a brown man with a woman that happens to be white, attractive, and in this given case a blonde would be accepted. There will be a lot of racism and animosity towards a couple like that in the suburbs of the city. I was born in Atlanta and spent a lot of my life there, we had many indians who were brown but the only interracial that happened was the women with white men. You rarely met younger couples where the girl was white and guy was indian, if it did happen the couples were usually transplants from other cities. Having lived in the city which has a significant brown population, for that to happen means there are some social barriers going on. Being that I am white I heard certain things from girls in the city about going interracial, for the vast majority it is not even on their radar and when it did happen it happened between black men and white women. A couple like OP and his girlfriend would feel alienated in Atlanta.

Old 05-20-2014, 08:11 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,096,821 times
Quote:
Ya know its 2014, you can live wherever you want, and forget about what the 'F' other people think, JESUUUUUSSSS..

Their are "unaccepting" people in every corner of the Earth, get over it and live your life as you choose.
YEAH! Blame the victim!! It's his fault for reacting so negatively when he just got a little bit of racism. Why should he have a right to be treated as an equal human being with respect for his relationship.

/sarcasm off

Old 05-20-2014, 09:51 AM

938 posts, read 1,514,513 times
Quote:
Speak for yourself man not 6 million people,,,geesh. I have many interracial couple friends here in Atlanta, gay and straight, and they have NEVER had any issues at all. I have an Indian man married to a blonde woman both very happy.
Spoken like a typical White guy who's never experienced racism before, and who thinks that racism died in 1970 and that the worst form of racism today is oversensitive minorities accusing Whitey of being racist, and affirmative action.

I'm half Asian and have difficulty passing as White, and I've learned to shut up about racial incidents in front of White friends because they simply don't get it and get defensive about it. Therefore just because you are friends with an interracial couple who you always see smiling doesn't mean that they never have racial issues. When they do have a racial incident, the last person they would be talking to about it would be you.

Old 05-27-2014, 06:08 PM

23,447 posts, read 44,050,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SignoreAmante View Post
I never said Atlanta was stuck in the 60s but it is not progressive to the point where a couple that involves a brown man with a woman that happens to be white, attractive, and in this given case a blonde would be accepted. There will be a lot of racism and animosity towards a couple like that in the suburbs of the city. I was born in Atlanta and spent a lot of my life there, we had many indians who were brown but the only interracial that happened was the women with white men. You rarely met younger couples where the girl was white and guy was indian, if it did happen the couples were usually transplants from other cities. Having lived in the city which has a significant brown population, for that to happen means there are some social barriers going on. Being that I am white I heard certain things from girls in the city about going interracial, for the vast majority it is not even on their radar and when it did happen it happened between black men and white women. A couple like OP and his girlfriend would feel alienated in Atlanta.
I am the woman that you describe. There is not a problem.

Old 05-27-2014, 09:46 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,979,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathiasRed View Post
I am a 25 year old British male of Libyan heritage currently residing in California and have been fortunate enough to live in a place where people accept all kinds of couples. Now I am in my mid 20s and work in finance and my fiance is a nurse. Since Libyans come in all colors from some looking very White to others looking as dark as Pakistanis, I wanted to specify. I am very dark for someone of my heritage and can be considered a visible minority due to my complexion. Spent most of my childhood and adolescence in England and came to America where I met a woman who is now my fiance.

My fiance is the exact opposite of me, she is of Swedish and German descent and is a tall blonde with blue eyes who was born and raised in California. Even here in California (more specifically San Diego), this is not something you see daily but people let us be. I don't think this commonly happens anywhere in the world let alone America.

The cost of living here in California is insane and has managed to get worse over the years. We have thought about moving elsewhere for a long time and have often visited prospective areas.

I am not that familiar with American culture let alone which areas are more tolerant and accepting. So far we visited 3 places and all 3 felt different.

We visited Oklahoma (more specifically Oklahoma City). When we were at a mall holding hands one man looked at my fiance and shouted "you shouldn't be with him!". We ignored him, he kept on venting for a few more minutes, and then stopped. Also had a lot of stares in our direction. Went to a restaurant there and the waiter came to our table, looked at us and said "what the" in an awkward way and then took our orders. He didn't seem too happy having us around.

We visited Atlanta which was not as hostile but not the same as California. In the city no one said anything until we headed out to the suburbs, there things got somewhat bad. Lots of stares and my fiance said that when I was leaving the restaurant and she stayed behind to check something one of the workers looked at her and said "he must have that oil money!" as he laughed. Outside of that an African American male I met there told me that the suburbs of Atlanta aren't the best place for the kind of couples we are. Not nearly as bad as Oklahoma City but still not near the level of California either.

We then visited Raleigh, NC which initially seemed great until we went to go eat at a restaurant there. One of the waitresses said "we don't commonly get many of your kind of couples around here" and then kept on questioning us about our relationship. She then said to my fiance right in front of me "he doesn't make you wear a hijab either, that is nice!". Then when we were visiting a museum there one middle aged woman looked at my fiance with a frown and shook her head.

In my years in California I have NEVER encountered anything like this. The visit to the 3 cities was very eye opening. Are there any places outside of California and NYC where people just don't care that much about who dates who?
Your post is screaming Houston.

Check it out I promise you won't be disappointed.

Nurses down there make bookoos of $$$ & the COL is a fraction what it is compared to California or New York letting you save for retirement early on.

If you can stand the 6 months of oppressive heat & humdity you'll have it made. The other 6 months of the year is very pleasant, almost California like weather.

Old 05-28-2014, 11:40 AM

1,448 posts, read 2,895,441 times
Chicago? Honolulu? Philadelphia?

Most major cities will not be much of a problem. And there are some that are much cheaper than NY - Philly for example. Honolulu is used to seeing interracial couples for multiple reasons, but the other poster is right that they tend to resent anyone not from Hawaii - so at least you'll be treated just as badly as everyone else by the cultural Hawaiians.

You may get something awful said to you anywhere, but I'm sure you're concerned about frequency and severity. I don't think you'll feel physically threatened in most places in the entire US, but certain areas will certain have more frequency of rude looks or comments than others.

Hate to bring this up, but one thing to consider if you are Libyan and are dark-complected but more in the middle range, is racism against you for being Middle Eastern. There is a tremendous amount of racism in the US against people presumed to be Muslim - and yeah, I do mean racism although Islam is a religion, because this comes from people who know and care nothing about the religion and are basing their hatred and fear of you on how you look. Just like with the interracial issue, some areas will be worse than others. You will tend to feel safer though, and have fewer social or employment problems, in cities that are known to be more progressive politically and/or that have large Middle Eastern/Northern African populations. This does not apply though if you would be perceived as Black, or Indian, in which case you'll only have to deal with that type of racism, which is far less severe at the moment. If you are in fact Muslim even if you don't look like what Americans think a stereotypical Muslim man looks like, keep in mind that that could present problems from time to time. But many Muslims live in the States successfully, in small towns and big cities alike.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.