Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2014, 09:45 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,255,733 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
. . . but the Delmarva is sort of culture/region all to its own in a way - sort of like Appalachia which has strong influences in many parts of PA.
I grew up on Delmarva but haven't lived there since high school. I do agree with your assessment that it's kind of its own cultural region. During my youth, however, if forced to take sides, I suppose most would have felt we are northern v southern. In terms of language and culture:

- We used "you guys" instead of "y'all" (though I've noticed that colloquialism is definitely more in vogue there these days)
- Like Philly, locals drink "wooder" from the faucet and most drink soda, rather than pop or coke
- Fried potatoes and scrapple, not grits with biscuits and gravy, are the breakfast staple
- We never celebrated events such as Confederate Memorial Day and generally felt we won the Civil War

Based on my own experience, I felt much more culturally comfortable when I went for my BS in northern Delaware than when I attended Va Tech for my MS. During those years, I split my time between Blacksburg and Hampton Roads. Wow - what a difference! To me, that was the south. Further, 26 years in Houston exposed to another part of the south where locals affectionally referred to me as a Yankee.

I understand that to folks who live in New England or even New York that Delmarva is southern to them, but to a native son who has since who has lived in 7 states (north, South and mid-west), Delmarva is, as you suggest, its own unique culture.

BTW - here is an interesting article on the local accent and lingo of Delmarva: http://www.delmarvanow.com/article/2...ay-of-speaking
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2014, 10:13 AM

32,097 posts, read 34,702,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm02 View Post
I understand that to folks who live in New England or even New York that Delmarva is southern to them, but to a native son who has since who has lived in 7 states (north, South and mid-west), Delmarva is, as you suggest, its own unique culture.
Would you also say that Southern Maryland and the Eastern shore have their own "unique" culture (which in no way, shape or form related to southern culture)?

Old 04-04-2014, 11:01 AM

27,560 posts, read 28,652,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Would you also say that Southern Maryland and the Eastern shore have their own "unique" culture (which in no way, shape or form related to southern culture)?
Southern Maryland and the eastern shore of Maryland are undoubtedly influenced by southern culture.

But it's not "hardcore" southern - which would be characterized by a majority of people being baptists and having strong southern accents.

Old 04-04-2014, 11:04 AM

3,058 posts, read 3,823,340 times
North Carolina
Virginia
New York
Pennsylvania
New Jersey
West Virginia
Maryland
Delaware

Old 04-04-2014, 11:29 AM

Quote:
When you ask about southern Maryland, I presume you are referring to the western shore. If so, Calvert, St Mary's and Charles Counties are the only counties in MD I haven't been to. I have been to rural areas the Virginia Counties across the Potomac from them and they are definitely southern, so I would not be surprised if they are somewhat more southern. What I wonder sometimes, however, is if some folks confuse rural culture with southern culture. Just a thought?

As for the Eastern Shore, I have lots of relatives who live there. They are not southern and do not see themselves as such. But look at a map: Delmarva is isolated on all sides. IMO, that is the major contributing factor leading to the peninsula possessing a unique culture that is neither heavily northern nor southern. And here's a factoid that might be of interest to some who try to pigeonhole Delmarva: Salisbury, its largest "city," reelected its gay mayor to a 2nd term last year.

As I said, I understand why some from NYC and up into New England might believe they are in the south should they find themselves in Delmarva. The bottom line is perspective, however. Folks in Canada view all of us as being "south of the border."

Last edited by Pine to Vine; 04-04-2014 at 12:54 PM..

Old 04-05-2014, 02:21 AM

6,208 posts, read 9,210,165 times
Quote:
When you ask about southern Maryland, I presume you are referring to the western shore. If so, Calvert, St Mary's and Charles Counties are the only counties in MD I haven't been to. I have been to rural areas the Virginia Counties across the Potomac from them and they are definitely southern, so I would not be surprised if they are somewhat more southern. What I wonder sometimes, however, is if some folks confuse rural culture with southern culture. Just a thought?

As for the Eastern Shore, I have lots of relatives who live there. They are not southern and do not see themselves as such. But look at a map: Delmarva is isolated on all sides. IMO, that is the major contributing factor leading to the peninsula possessing a unique culture that is neither heavily northern nor southern. And here's a factoid that might be of interest to some who try to pigeonhole Delmarva: Salisbury, its largest "city," reelected its gay mayor to a 2nd term last year.

As I said, I understand why some from NYC and up into New England might believe they are in the south should they find themselves in Delmarva. The bottom line is perspective, however. Folks in Canada view all of us as being "south of the border."
Interesting take on the Eastern Shore. And spot on with the rural and southern comparisons. I wouldn't call Pennsylvania Dutch/Amish Country to be "southern" even though it's heavily rural. There's rural lands everywhere in this country.

Old 04-06-2014, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Nope. I know the difference. I spent time in rural New Hampshire on the Obama campaign as well as time in rural Pennsylvania (my home state) and there is a difference between those places and Southern Maryland. Of all the Marylanders who say their community is "in the South" (40%) in UNC's Southern Focus Poll, my educated guess would be that the bulk of those folks are in Southern PG, Charles, St. Mary's, Anne Arundel and the Eastern Shore. Those places have a feel that is distinctly southern and there are some dialect maps that include Southern Maryland and the Eastern Shore within the Southern American English linguistic boundary.

Quote:
That's probably true for a lot of white people from New England or Canada who have no real experience in the South little less the Deep South. I'm not one of those people. I've been going Down South as long as I can remember (and have unfortunately eaten at South of the Border).

There are different types of "South." Not all of it is the same. And I think about this quite often when I'm making the trip down I-95 to go to family reunions on my father's side (we had one on the Eastern Shore in the early 2000s). The trees look different, some places are more noticeably poor than others, but it's all still southern to the person who's had any type of experience in the South.

Old 04-06-2014, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Southern Maryland and the eastern shore of Maryland are undoubtedly influenced by southern culture.

But it's not "hardcore" southern - which would be characterized by a majority of people being baptists and having strong southern accents.
I would say it's not "Deep South" (which is more a rough concept rather than an official entity like, say, the state of Florida). Yes, I would say that the Deep South is partially characterized by the Southern Baptists and Evangelical Christians. And people tend to associate the "Deep South" with cotton production and lynchings.

As far as accents go, I'm not sure if I'd say one is strong and one is faint. They're just different types of accents. My father even says that the way white people talk in is hometown is not the way they talked back in the 1950s.

Old 04-06-2014, 07:44 AM

Speaking of accents changing--largely the product of mass media/communications and accent homogenization--I had always assumed that Charlamagne, a popular NYC radio personality, was from Harlem or Bronx. It's not until I ran into someone from his hometown in South Carolina that I learned he wasn't. And when I asked if he had always talked that way, the guy simply said "Yeah, he always sounded like that."

Charlamagne Tha God - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Breakfast Club Presents: Charlamagne tha god's Most Inappropriate Moments - YouTube

Old 04-06-2014, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Nope. I know the difference. I spent time in rural New Hampshire on the Obama campaign as well as time in rural Pennsylvania (my home state) and there is a difference between those places and Southern Maryland. Of all the Marylanders who say their community is "in the South" (40%) in UNC's Southern Focus Poll, my educated guess would be that the bulk of those folks are in Southern PG, Charles, St. Mary's, Anne Arundel and the Eastern Shore.
I can't argue with your own experience. I just note it would not be the first time that two people can visit or live somewhere and experience it differently.

As for the poll numbers, do you know of one that has been conducted since the 90s? I could imagine a shift in numbers, particularly given the population boom in the DC suburban areas in that time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.