Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2014, 10:53 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,503,252 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
Which southern states would you group together based off of similarities?
I'd go with...

Louisiana/Mississippi
Alabama/Georgia
South Carolina/North Carolina
Tennessee/Kentucky
Arkansas/Oklahoma
Texas, Florida, and Virginia are so distinct because they have cosmopolitan areas which are extremely transplant-saturated while other areas are extremely rural and 110% Southern. They're really difficult to bottle into one pair. (Although North/West Texas are overtly Southern and most similar to the vast majority of Oklahoma. East Texas is akin to the Deep South and very similar to much of Louisiana.)

EDIT:
The part of West Virginia which is Southern would be most like Kentucky and southern Virginia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2014, 11:20 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
I'd go with...

Louisiana/Mississippi
Alabama/Georgia
Tennessee/Kentucky
Arkansas/Oklahoma
Texas, Florida, and Virginia are so distinct because they have cosmopolitan areas which are extremely transplant-saturated while other areas are extremely rural and 110% Southern. They're really difficult to bottle into one pair. (Although North/West Texas are overtly Southern and most similar to the vast majority of Oklahoma. East Texas is akin to the Deep South and very similar to much of Louisiana.)

EDIT:
The part of West Virginia which is Southern would be most like Kentucky and southern Virginia.
I definitely understand your point with TX and FL, but VA would be most like NC in that regard. VA has NOVA and NC has the Triangle and Charlotte as far as transplant-saturated areas. Hampton Roads has the military effect going on, and while they aren't as large, NC also has that in Fayetteville and Jacksonville.

Old 03-29-2014, 12:00 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,335,594 times
Quote:
Actually, along with North/West Texas, West Arkansas is the most culturally similar to Oklahoma in its totality. So the second poster was not that far off base if we're just looking at similarity of dialects, exceedingly high preponderance of Southern Baptist churches, food, crazed college football culture, and other norms, etc.

If we're talking topography, well that's a whole other discussion as Oklahoma has the elements of the Plains in the north part of the state, arid environment in the west, and hilly/green in the southern and eastern tiers of the state.
I'm not saying they don't have their similarities, but I don't feel they're the best pair.

Old 03-29-2014, 12:01 AM

2,823 posts, read 4,491,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I definitely understand your point with TX and FL, but VA would be most like NC in that regard. VA has NOVA and NC has the Triangle and Charlotte as far as transplant-saturated areas. Hampton Roads has the military effect going on, and while they aren't as large, NC also has that in Fayetteville and Jacksonville.
As for NC, I'd say it's definitely safe to say that NC and VA are quite similar and obviously NC and SC (especially outside the urban areas/bigger cities). However, from my experiences traveling around GA, it seems like GA and NC are very similar, also. Maybe it's just me, but I'd say NC might be more similar to GA instead of VA and SC.

Old 03-29-2014, 03:45 AM

1,076 posts, read 1,395,507 times
Would it be crazy to assume that every Southern state is similar to another in border regions yet not so much in the interior. As in Western Tennessee to Arkansas or Eastern Tennessee to North Carolina but Central Tennessee not being similar to either state.

Old 03-29-2014, 06:22 AM

320 posts, read 578,307 times
Quote:
I'd go with...

Louisiana/Mississippi
Alabama/Georgia
Tennessee/Kentucky
Arkansas/Oklahoma

EDIT:

Most of Arkansas doesn't even look like most of Oklahoma. South Carolina looks like many parts of Georgia. Mississippi doesn't have the same culture as Louisiana.

Old 03-29-2014, 06:23 AM

17,790 posts, read 13,682,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Outside of the panhandle and North Texas, the state of Texas really don't have much in common with Oklahoma other than the fact that these are frontier Southern states. Though it's hard to say they don't topography wise. I've only been to OKC. Tulsa I heard is hilly like Austin. I guess it's not 100% on anything.

I guess the best comparison is Mississippi and Alabama?
Oklahoma and Texas are tied together because of the oil industry. There are a gazillion Oklahomans in DFW and Houston and there are more Texans in Oklahoma than Texans are willing to admit.

This is not true with Oklahoma and Arkansas.

The Arkansas connection is soley noticable in the eastern part of the state. In the central part of Oklahoma and Western Oklahoma and southern Oklahoma there is no question that it is more closely tied to Texas. You never hear about Arkansas, nobody comes from Arkansas, and nobody moves to Arkansas or even visits (Usually Colorado and New Mexico or Dallas).

Old 03-29-2014, 08:45 AM

533 posts, read 822,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spicymeatball View Post
I always would have thought OK would be more connected to Texas than AR, but actually analyzing phone calls OK and AR have a ton of familial and friendship ties.
Yeah I would say Oklahoma\Arkansas.

Old 03-29-2014, 09:03 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
As for NC, I'd say it's definitely safe to say that NC and VA are quite similar and obviously NC and SC (especially outside the urban areas/bigger cities). However, from my experiences traveling around GA, it seems like GA and NC are very similar, also. Maybe it's just me, but I'd say NC might be more similar to GA instead of VA and SC.
GA and NC are very similar also, but I think VA and NC are more similar and this is mainly because they don't have a metro that completely dominates the state like Atlanta does GA. A more even distribution of metro areas and all that comes with it (amenities, infrastructure, educational institutions, corporate headquarters, etc.) makes for a more similar vibe and feel. And although NC took a sharp turn to the right politically recently, state politics are still more similar in NC and VA with both being swing states now. Both NC and VA's major universities are ACC schools with no SEC representation. Geographically, they are practically mirror images of each other. The largest metro in both states crosses state lines (NOVA and Charlotte), and both have one metro centered around one dominant city (Charlotte, Richmond) and two multinodal regions (NOVA [although DC is the primary city of the region, within NOVA itself there is no one dominant city], Hampton Roads; Triangle, Triad). The capitals of both NC and VA are fall line cities. The tobacco industry is big in both states, and Winston-Salem even feels like a mini-Richmond. The flagship universities of both schools are of similar caliber. And so on and so forth.

Old 03-29-2014, 09:31 AM

320 posts, read 578,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdb05f View Post
Yeah I would say Oklahoma\Arkansas.
You think that Oklahoma's culture is like central, southern and the delta regions of Arkansas? How? Have you been there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.