Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2014, 08:05 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,148,184 times

Advertisements

Q: How often? A: All the time

In Miami Beach, one would expect to hear Spanish and Portuguese but one also hears Russian, French, Italian, German, Dutch, Creole, Hebrew, Arabic and a whole host of other European languages at almost every turn. When not hearing a foreign language in Miami Beach, one is most likely to hear English spoken in an accent other than any of the American varieties.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2014, 08:09 AM

692 posts, read 956,869 times
Practically every day. In my own house English & French Creole, as well as Spanish and outside Spanish, French, various African languages such as Bambara, Wolof and Twi, Creole, Arabic, Hindi, Urdu, Albanian, some Italian, Yiddish and Chinese.

Old 03-30-2014, 08:10 AM

2,869 posts, read 4,449,697 times
I live in Toronto, where we have at least 120 language groups.

The Toronto Police Service has about 5500 uniform officers, and amongst them they speak over 80 languages, and the 911 call centre has access to 140 live language translators, 24/7.

TPS officers in uniform.

link photo https://www.google.ca/search?q=sikh+...w=1108&bih=610

Our utility bills can be ordered in 45 different languages, if you request one. Same thing for city tax bills, and most banks here have signs at the door, saying how many languages the staff at that branch can speak to you in. My local branch of the CIBC can deal with customers in 14 languages, besides English and French, and that is typical.

Toronto has 19 weekly newspapers, in a language other than English. We have radio and TV stations that broadcast in a different language , every hour, around the clock.

link CHIN radio

CHIN Radio

About 50 percent of the people who live in Toronto now, where born "some place else " but now call Canada their home. With in 10 years of arriving in Canada, 85 percent of Immigrants have become Canadian citizens.

Jim B

Toronto.

Old 03-30-2014, 11:04 AM

812 posts, read 736,367 times
In northern IL I hear Spanish daily, and Arabic, Indian, and Chinese or Japanese at least once or twice a week.

Old 03-30-2014, 11:45 AM

1,205 posts, read 1,854,195 times
I hear Chinese, Korean, various Indian languages, Arabic, and good old Spanish almost everyday and on occasion Russian, Indonesian and Swahili.

Old 04-01-2014, 07:17 PM

9,524 posts, read 16,505,688 times
I'm on the Mass RI border. I hear Portuguese and Spanish frequently. There are also populations from Southeast Asia, Africa and India, in and around the Providence RI/Southeast Mass area. So I hear those languages at times also. Today I was in the neighboring town of Cumberland RI, and I heard several people speaking a language that I could not place. So a multitude of languages here, but then its always been that way. When we had all the factories here, that are all gone now. We use to hear French every day as well as Portuguese. In fact I think Southeast Mass and RI also, has the largest Portuguese speaking population in North America.

Old 04-02-2014, 09:41 AM

9,000 posts, read 10,174,745 times
Everyday, honestly.
Polish, Korean, German, Arabic, Spanish.....
Always wondered what draws
ppl to this city,
especially from other countries.

Last edited by believe007; 04-02-2014 at 10:20 AM..

Old 04-03-2014, 08:51 AM

43,630 posts, read 44,355,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
In NYC it's almost impossible to go a day w/o hearing Spanish and Chinese, which are the defacto second languages of the city. Near where I live there are also some stores owned by Middle Easterners, so I hear a fair amount of Arabic.

I used to live in Harlem on a block that was amazingly diverse, linguistically. I could hear people speaking standard American English, Spanish, Creole, Jamaican Patois so thick I could barely figure out it really was English, and some sub-Saharan African language that I never did know the name of. Meanwhile there were Korean speaking shopkeeprs nearby.

Of course if you get on the subway or walk around downtown NYC there's hardly a language you won't hear.
In my area of NYC one can't be outside without hearing Russian and the second language would be Spanish. I also occasionally hear Hebrew speakers as well. Occasionally I have heard French on the subway in my area. Of course, in NYC as already stated one can probably hear most languages that exist if one is in the right part of the city.

Old 04-03-2014, 09:18 AM

1,485 posts, read 2,250,693 times
In Birmingham AL, if I hear another language (which isn't every day) it's usually Spanish, which can be commonly heard at just about any Walmart in the metro. If I'm near the UAB campus, I might hear various East Asian languages (probably mostly Mandarin, probably some Cantonese/Korean/Vietnamese mixed in, not sure about others) and when I go to gas stations, I sometimes hear languages like Urdu, Pashto or Hindi (lots of Middle Eastern/South Asian owners/attendants)

Old 04-03-2014, 09:34 AM

2,886 posts, read 4,105,887 times
Besides English i hear Spanish, Portuguese, and French Creole multiple times per day. Russian,Mandarin, Cantonese,French,Italian,German,Arabic,Hebrew, and Greek atleast once a week. Occasionaly will hear other European languages like Romanian, Polish, Dutch,etc and some Asian languages 2 like Japanese,Korean, and Vietnamese. A lot of the time it's not from people who live here, Since Miami is such a popular tourist destination often hear German, French,Russian,etc tourists speaking in their native tongue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.