Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2014, 11:40 AM

3,455 posts, read 8,343,169 times

Advertisements

and the latest 4.4 earthquake is in fact right on this line, of the north American craton (in Wrigley Canada)

Earthquakes
Slabs of North American Continent Are Layered Like Cake | LiveScience
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2014, 12:23 PM

I'm no earthquake expert though, I do pay attention to stuff like this and there is definitely more activity in the last week than we are accustomed to. Atleast in terms of magnitude.

Last edited by JMT; 03-31-2014 at 04:05 PM..

Old 03-31-2014, 12:36 PM

1,764 posts, read 2,865,661 times
An online friend emailed me last night about the earthquake at Yellowstone. He ordered respirators for his family because of his concerns about this. I'm not a scientist and I don't know what to make of it. It seems like the wind would have to move the volcanic ash quite far to destroy the whole country, especially the East Coast. It seems like people are either panicked or unconcerned.

Old 03-31-2014, 12:41 PM

734 posts, read 1,082,067 times
I was watching a documentary about Yellowstone a couple weeks ago. Seems like it can blow any minute now. Oh well. Whatever happens will happen. If it blows, it blows. You can't live your life worried and scared.

Old 03-31-2014, 01:02 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,196,693 times
They get thousands of earthquakes a year. This is the largest in decades, but all the experts say it's no cause for alarm, just happens to be a larger one that happened.

The park is actually a super-volcano. There are massive eruptions every 600,000 to 1,000,000 years. The last one was a long time ago, although people that study the park say it's not overdue for an eruption and there's no activity to signify anything will happen in the near future. It certainly will erupt again though, probably in the next 500,000 years.

Old 03-31-2014, 01:37 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,196,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjd07 View Post
An online friend emailed me last night about the earthquake at Yellowstone. He ordered respirators for his family because of his concerns about this. I'm not a scientist and I don't know what to make of it. It seems like the wind would have to move the volcanic ash quite far to destroy the whole country, especially the East Coast. It seems like people are either panicked or unconcerned.
I think your friend needs to calm down a bit. No reason at all to assume there's going to be some sort of volcanic event because there was an earthquake at Yellowstone. There are up to 3,000 earthquakes a year there, this one just happened to be a bit larger than most.

Eruptions happen there every 600,000 to a few million years. There WILL be another huge eruption at Yellowstone. The last one spread a layer of debris about 6 feet deep across most of the eastern USA. Of course there's no signs it will happen anytime soon, but more than likely in the next 500,000 years.

Old 03-31-2014, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bored chick View Post
I was watching a documentary about Yellowstone a couple weeks ago. Seems like it can blow any minute now. Oh well. Whatever happens will happen. If it blows, it blows. You can't live your life worried and scared.
of course we can worry about it, and if there is a way to predict it, do so.

Heck if that thing blows I'm in the car and driving to Mexico in a matter of minutes lol

Old 04-02-2014, 12:42 AM

my theory is that most scientists do not predict anything for liability reasons...large earthquake in chile.

my guess is they knew a bigger eq was coming, they just didn't want to stick their necks out to say where. of course they don't know where. but they have some ideas, I'm sure.

To say there is "no way to know" and its all random seems ridiculous to me.

It's all connected. we just don't know enough yet to say anything with certainty about what will happen. Just like the weather. We just know even less about cause/effect regarding the sub surface.

Old 04-02-2014, 12:49 AM

Location: :0)1 CORINTHIANS,13*"KYRIE, ELEISON"*"CHRISTE ELEISON"
3,078 posts, read 6,197,813 times
Lightbulb 8.2 in Chile, South America.

Quote:
Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
There's more likely the chance that these earthquakes are unrelated than they are related. Yellowstone and California have periods of heightened activity every so often. Cali has an active fault zone and Yellowstone is more or less an "active" volcano. Earthquakes and other geologic phenomena are to be expected here.

There are probably dormant fault lines in Oklahoma similar to the New Madrid fault line. In the past, earthquakes in Oklahoma have been connected to underground human activity such as fracking and oil mining. It's not confirmed now, but it wouldn't be that surprising to find out that human activity indeed has agitated those dormant fault lines. Of course, oil companies would rather that not be the case so that's kind of some iffy territory to delve into.

That link also cites a connection to Chile. In which case, I'd suggest you'd read up on this: Ring of Fire - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Chile, South America (on the Ring of fire) just had an 8.2 earthquake in the Northern part of the country.

I believe several people have died because of it.

Old 04-02-2014, 02:14 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,054,423 times
I have an earth quake detection device, that while appearing to be an empty bottle of Heineken set onto a piece of rebar, came with an "iron-clad guarantee" from the scientist who sold it to me down on the Santa Monica Pier. I've got it set up in the back-yard and so far nothing's happening but I'll keep everyone informed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.